Kellie Harper discussion/debate thread [merged]

People can dig up something to criticize just to make themselves feel like an expert.

Funny you should say that:

How would you feel about a transfer that shoots 40% from the field, 24% from 3, averages 1 assist per game, and has a reputation for not liking to play defense?

I like this. You take what you get with Jordan because she does so much and is so dynamic. There’s not another player like her, but you don’t try to restrict what she does as you limit the final product.

I have mixed feelings about Horston. She's talented, and she can create shots on her own, which we need (as does every team), but she dominates the ball at times and that leaves the other players standing around watching her, and that's not good. And Horston does not shoot that well--that's another problem. And I'm not convinced we suffered all that much as a team without her, partly because we shared the basketball more than we do with her on the court.

More generally, the Vols need to

1) significantly reduce the turnovers--we averaged 17 a game this season, which is BAD. If Harper cannot fix this problem, then serious questions should be asked about her as a coach.
2) move off the ball better--and pass better. The team is too static at times, dribbles too much at times, and makes too many bad passes.
3) shoot the 3 better. We shot 30 percent from the 3 line--not good enough.
4) Get more offense out of Key. She's never going to be especially good offensively, but she badly needs to learn some basic moves in the paint and
try to be quicker with her movements. She needs to take another step forward with her offensive game.
5) improve free-throw shooting.

We've heard it forever it seems but we have to get more 3s out of our offense. Teams who should not be able to stay on the floor with us find a way primarily by hitting 3s routinely.

The season is over and we did well considering the injuries and the number of Freshman that had to step in. With the season being over, I think it is normal for some some fans (including me) to look at what the team needs to improve upon to get to the next level (although you have to take some posters like Darth with a big grain of salt).
I sure hope the coaches just aren’t telling the players, “great season, see you in 5 months”. I am pretty sure they are telling the players what things they need to work on as individuals. Although coaches are limited during this time the basketball managers can work with the players and give reports back to the coaches on how much time the players put in (unless there are new rules limiting what managers can do).
I am sure the coaches are aware of the issues that have been pointed out in various threads/posts and are trying to fix those issues but it is not easy just dialing up the portal and getting a 6’7” dynamic post player. (Although NIL money helps and I think we are doing very well on that front.).

What performance level did you expect from LV's in third season under Harper?

Well to start, I'd prefer they not lose the first NCAA Tournament game they have to play away from home...

As for the season, an offense anywhere in the bottom half of the SEC is unacceptable for a program of this caliber.

Off-season has begun. The excuses of why this season ended the way it did cannot live another loss or the excuses of why it was an overachieving one cannot be supported by a close win to Belmont. Crossroads year coming up that has already started with players moving in and players moving on. Staff moves will be interesting if they happen.

Last edited:
It's not his job to motivate or coach the team. The reality is they DO need to significantly improve on offense, and this year wasn't acceptable for a Lady Vols team. You can be hopeful for the future while still recognizing that the team's performance has been below what should be expected.
...and our posts disagree where?

IMO, the portal needs to be used. Look what Louisville did with it. Signing a 5* for just one season can make a big difference. The Arky men's team this season was made up of portal players brought in for this season. It's available so use it because your competition is. Just saying....

IMO, the portal needs to be used. Look what Louisville did with it. Signing a 5* for just one season can make a big difference. The Arky men's team this season was made up of portal players brought in for this season. It's available so use it because your competition is. Just saying....

We have 2 from the portal already committed.

If you look at the "best" teams in the NCAA, they all have really good post players, and of course the compliment of players around them. In the case of the LV's, I am sorry but Tamari Key is just not that "really good post player". Anyone can push her around, she gets rushed and can't hit a bunny, she always brings the ball down from a rebound and has it tied up or held, and frankly, I am not sure that she has a competitive spirit. Being 6'6" is great, but I have seen 5'10" posts with true skills that could dominate. JMO!

We have 2 from the portal already committed.

Some on this board no nothing about the game just post things just to be posting and there are many. Look at T.Key she is taking a beating on this board by some should she ? Yes and No, Yes why because she has not raised her offensive game to the level it should be at i agree. No why because without her defense this team don`t win 25 games. As for the Portal it can be a weapon for some teams and can be bad other teams. With over 700 transfers in the portal most are looking for more playing time. But the few top level players that started for there previous team are looking for a shot at the NC right away.

Well to start, I'd prefer they not lose the first NCAA Tournament game they have to play away from home...

As for the season, an offense anywhere in the bottom half of the SEC is unacceptable for a program of this caliber.

Your preference is shared by me, but getting to the Elite Eight is not the minimum acceptable in a coach's third year. so I don't agre there. As to you other point, I think you should recognize that 1) this is not a program of elite caliber and hasn't been for a few years before the present coach took over. That's why the previous coach was fired, and getting it back there is the task of the new coach. 2) It's irrelevant if in some statistical categories we are in the bottom half of the league if we finish third in the league in wins and losses and get to the SS in the ncaas.

Some on this board no nothing about the game just post things just to be posting and there are many. Look at T.Key she is taking a beating on this board by some should she ? Yes and No, Yes why because she has not raised her offensive game to the level it should be at i agree. No why because without her defense this team don`t win 25 games. As for the Portal it can be a weapon for some teams and can be bad other teams. With over 700 transfers in the portal most are looking for more playing time. But the few top level players that started for there previous team are looking for a shot at the NC right away.

My post about the portal was not intended to be critical, just pointing out how the portal is changing things and should be used even if you get a one yr player. And the portal is a about the game, that's the direction of recruiting now. But you really can't say much on this forum without someone getting their feathers ruffled. Kinda sad.

Last edited:
My post about the portal was not intended to be critical, just pointing out how the portal is changing things and should be used even if you get a one yr player. And the portal is a about the game, that's the direction of recruiting now. But you really can't say much on this forum unless its all sunshine without someone getting their feathers ruffled. Kinda sad.

My bad it`ts all good and yes the portal is changing things. And you are 100% it should be used some teams are trying to stay away from the Portal but i don`t see how. The portal has pushed some coaches into retirement,

Reactions: OrangeBeachVol
We just never have a kid that can shoot the lights out. I don’t understand it. Tess can shoot but she’s so slow she can’t create off the dribble to get her self open. We need a shooter bad!
A team of shooters but not athletes. We need athletic shooters that can create inside the 3 point line and find space outside the 3 point line.

Note that while this poster uses other members posts of the past to make his points of inconsistencies about them, he is careful not to allow others to have access to his past points lest the same thing happen to him. And, believe me, if he did, the same thing would happen to him.
I’m confused. I can see Darth’s past post. You can turn that on and off by individual posters?

We just never have a kid that can shoot the lights out. I don’t understand it. Tess can shoot but she’s so slow she can’t create off the dribble to get her self open. We need a shooter bad!

It's not the shooters, it's the system and the fact little priority is put on hitting shots compared to that put on rebounding etc...

Get more open looks and our shooting percentage will go up. Pass better and our percentage will go up. Better movement without the ball and the percentage goes up. You can see the fact we don't do these things well reflected in our turnover stats as we struggle to create shots and turn the ball over trying to force the issue. All of these things are interconnected. We had something like one assist in an entire half in the last game we played.

Louisville's press wasn't all that great but we would repeatedly dribble into it because our outlet players were not in position and our ballhandlers had their heads down. Those are things which can be corrected. Cutting sharply, setting good picks, having proper spacing, finding the open man or the mismatch, are all things which can be taught. We just don't put enough emphasis on those things and it shows up in the stats. Just take a look at the velocity of our passes compared to better teams and you can see no emphasis has been put on it. Rennie is the only one who seems to consistently pass crisply.

VN Store

Back