Kellie Harper discussion/debate thread [merged]

It is because the choke in the post season every year. Do you not see my point. It is embarrassing that tiny schools like George Mason with a fraction of our budget can make post season runs but Tennessee has NEVER done it despite getting 2 or 3 seeds. It isn't just Rick Barnes or current team, it is all coaches we have ever had failing miserably at it.

Even Bruce Pearl had some let down teams as well.
George mason has never won anything. No national titles in any sport

I’ve been reading comments and information on this site for years, but I’ve never commented. I’d like to now because I’m a huge Lady Vol fan, and I’m concerned about those you who appear to be fans but comment about like extremists. Surely, you have enough sober mindedness to allow these young people to be just that and allow their coaches to handle their jobs since you can’t -surely??

Well, one would think so but here we are....

Agreed. Don’t need her to be like Pat. Her job is head basketball coach, not best friend. I am 57 and having watched and supported Tennessee athletics since I was around 10, I know when something looks right or not. Most of our girls do not play with a passion or pride to wear that power T. If we just want a team that finishes top 2-3 in sec every year and makes the tournament to be sent home in the first or second round every year. Then we are right where we need to be
Well hard to disagree with this..... given performances like Auburn and Alabama.... there is no reason Alabama should be owning us for several years now..... i would love to see Coach put emphasis on offensive spacing.... tempo, and cutting down on turnovers.... something which has plagued us for last dozen years.... Louisville took our 18 turnovers and made 21 points out of them. Practicing foul shooting would help too.... yes you can practice this task

And the final numbers are in:

Field Goal Percentage: .415 THIRD WORST IN PROGRAM HISTORY

Free Throw Percentage: .643 SECOND WORST IN PROGRAM HISTORY

Three Point Percentage: .297 FOURTH WORST IN PROGRAM HISTORY

Points Per Game: 70.1 FIFTH WORST IN PROGRAM HISTORY

Congrats to Kellie on not finishing with the worst offense in program history, just easily one of the top five...

Reactions: BruisedOrange
Well hard to disagree with this..... given performances like Auburn and Alabama.... there is no reason Alabama should be owning us for several years now..... i would love to see Coach put emphasis on offensive spacing.... tempo, and cutting down on turnovers.... something which has plagued us for last dozen years.... Louisville took our 18 turnovers and made 21 points out of them. Practicing foul shooting would help too.... yes you can practice this task
Do you really believe they don’t practice free throws?

Reactions: glv98
Congrats to Kellie on not finishing with the worst offense in program history, just easily one of the top five...

I LOVE IT!!!
We start the off-season with even more talent coming in... bolstered confidence from overcoming what should have been an incredibly debilitating series of injuries... momentum from getting back to the sweet sixteen...
and now Darth_Vol shows there's no ceiling on how much we can improve in four offensive categories!!!

Thanks for reframing our growth potential in a way that can only help motivate players to shoot all summer long! I was still feeling blue about the loss, until this post set me straight with facts on what a great future we have to anticipate. Enjoy your vacation, Kellie. Darth says we're perfectly positioned for dramatic offensive improvement!

I LOVE IT!!!
We start the off-season with even more talent coming in... bolstered confidence from overcoming what should have been an incredibly debilitating series of injuries... momentum from getting back to the sweet sixteen...
and now Darth_Vol shows there's no ceiling on how much we can improve in four offensive categories!!!

Thanks for reframing our growth potential in a way that can only help motivate players to shoot all summer long! I was still feeling blue about the loss, until this post set me straight with facts on what a great future we have to anticipate. Enjoy your vacation, Kellie. Darth says we're perfectly positioned for dramatic offensive improvement!

It's not his job to motivate or coach the team. The reality is they DO need to significantly improve on offense, and this year wasn't acceptable for a Lady Vols team. You can be hopeful for the future while still recognizing that the team's performance has been below what should be expected.

I love posters who jump to conclusions. I am on the Men's Board more than the Women's. I just don't understand criticizing a team that lived up to expectations.

The men choked and embarrassed the school with their early exit against Michigan. As a 3 seed, they should have made at least the Sweet 16.
Although correct. Men won the tournament for the 1st time since 1979, so it’s not an exact comparison when you look at the legacy of both programs.

I look at those stats and marvel that team won 25 games! Now that's an accomplishment.

I can't figure out why its been so hard to fix the LV offense when everyone and their granny has talked about the problem for 20 years. Overdependence on putbacks, points off t.o.s and if forced into an offense, one on one play, is well known to an be out dated and unsuccessful approach. We've begged for motion and decent passing til we're blue in the face but so far it hasn't changed much.

When Pat went on a crusade to fix it in the early 2000s, the effort got derailed because Candace Parker. Understandably Pat took one more dip at the old well of "let the greatest player in the universe go one on one" offense. Won her a couple of nattys and the offense never got successfully updated before she got sick.

I hope having both Horston and Jackson, who are such good creators, doesn't similarly tempt KJH into just rolling with their creations. Our upgraded talent will be best used by a really crisp, movement based offensive scheme. Hoping Powell will be a good driver of that engine.

Last edited:
I look at those stats and marvel that team won 25 games! Now that's an accomplishment.

I can't figure out why its been so hard to fix the LV offense when everyone and their granny has talked about the problem for 20 years. Overdependence on putbacks, points off t.o.s and if forced into an offense, one on one play, is well known to an be out dated and unsuccessful approach. We've begged for motion and decent passing til we're blue in the face but so far it hasn't changed much.

When Pat went on a crusade to fix it in the early 2000s, the effort got derailed because Candace Parker. Understandably Pat took one more dip at the old well of "let the greatest player in the universe go one on one" offense. Won her a couple of nattys and the offense never got successfully updated before she got sick.

I hope having both Horston and Jackson, who are such good creators, doesn't similarly tempt KJH into just rolling with their creations. Our upgraded talent will be best used by a really crisp, movement based offensive scheme. Hoping Powell will be a good driver of that engine.
Jackson isn't a good creator. She turns it over a lot when she tries too hard...just like Horston. They need a real offense. They have good players to execute it, so it has to be something other than trying to out-athlete the other team. It didn't work for the SEC in the NCAAT, and it won't work against the elite teams next season.

Jackson isn't a good creator. She turns it over a lot when she tries too hard...just like Horston. They need a real offense. They have good players to execute it, so it has to be something other than trying to out-athlete the other team. It didn't work for the SEC in the NCAAT, and it won't work against the elite teams next season.
So not a 3 pt shooter, not a creator, how does Jackson get her points? Midrange?

I agree, it's a perfect time to create a real offense for Jackson and Horston. That should be a fun summer project for the coaches.

Reactions: mcannon1
Yeah, if they could have gotten to merely mediocre on offense they would have gone to the final four!
Didn't need that. All those numbers were compiled with Jordan. With Jordan and those numbers, I believe you are still playing. People can dig up something to criticize just to make themselves feel like an expert.

The idea is to win, not finish high in statistical categories. 25-9 and a spot in the SS makes this post and your relentless disdain for Harper irrelevant.

It's not his job to motivate or coach the team. The reality is they DO need to significantly improve on offense, and this year wasn't acceptable for a Lady Vols team. You can be hopeful for the future while still recognizing that the team's performance has been below what should be expected.

What performance level did you expect from LV's in third season under Harper?

Didn't need that. All those numbers were compiled with Jordan. With Jordan and those numbers, I believe you are still playing. People can dig up something to criticize just to make themselves feel like an expert.
I like this. You take what you get with Jordan because she does so much and is so dynamic. There’s not another player like her, but you don’t try to restrict what she does as you limit the final product.

VN Store

Back