Wonder If Josh Dobbs will pack it in?

Th

The Steelers have carried 3 QBs on the roster for decades. They're not going into a season with 2 regardless of who they are.
They had batch and Maddox. And up until Dobbs rudolph is was just Landry Jones and Big Ben on the active roster. In fact when Dobbs got traded it wa Shia Ben and Rudolph they had to activate duck hodge from the practice squad

They had batch and Maddox. And up until Dobbs rudolph is was just Landry Jones and Big Ben on the active roster. In fact when Dobbs got traded it wa Shia Ben and Rudolph they had to activate duck hodge from the practice squad
What??

Dobbs is in a great spot. Ride out his time in the NFL, fall back on a coaching/front office gig if he wants, or just use his engineering degree and be an astronaut or whatever.

Nothing like having options.

If you combined the only best traits of Dobbs and Bray would you have the perfect QB?
I've always said if Dobbs had just a little more size/athleticism/power (like Bray), he would be QB1 somewhere in the NFL right now.

I had him on the HOUSE OF SPORT Podcast earlier this month. We talked a lot about his other gigs and what he plans to do next. I highly recommend checking it out. Such a good dude!

I think he will land somewhere as a backup if he elects to continue his NFL career. I don’t recall but assume he makes at least $500k a year. Plus, he will receive a pension if he is in the league for a certain number of years.

As a Steelers fan, I would draft to fill other needs and address QB 2023 draft. If there is a cheap free agent QB then so be it but stay away from Mariotta, etc.
3 years is when they are fully vested in the NFL's pension plan. I have a customer whose brother in law was a WR for Green Bay. Broke his collarbone and got cut with 2.5 years in the league. He was THAT close to being set for life.

Well, that's untrue unless aerospace engineers from UT make a lot less than Chemical Engineers from the South Dakota School of Mines and Technology starting out for companies like Cargill, Tyson, ADM, et al.

I'm pretty sure that engineers working for aircraft companies in KS and MO do a good bit better than that too.

He should have income security even playing such a short time in the NFL. He can follow his passion. A lot of people don't have that option.
Scargill and ADM aren't tied in to Gov pay scales either. Those levels are the same across all Gov jobs. G-10 is G-10 no matter if you're an aerospace engineer or an architect. Comparing civilian pay scales to Gov ones isn't a fair comparison.

Reactions: kcvols1
Long article today on Steelers options at QB. Not one mention of Josh as an alternative. Sorry to see that. He bailed Butch the tool out of his stupid coaching many times. Really smart guy, hope he has a great life after football.
Is he even under contract? I would think so, but one of the talking heads implied that he wasn't.

Is he even under contract? I would think so, but one of the talking heads implied that he wasn't.

He may be technically right now but he won't be for the 2022 season unless he signs a new one. As of now Rudolph is the only one who is under contract for 2022. My guess is Dobbs will probably sign a new one and they'll let him go through training camp/preseason but unless someone gets hurt I can't see him making the roster. He's going into his 6th year and has barely played. Rudolph and Haskins both, though not very good, have tons more actual game experience. As I said earlier, Dobbs was probably at best a practice squad guy last year before he was put on IR. He also was very much liked by Big Ben who used him as a coach/advisor and now he's retired. Plus the Steelers are likely going to draft a new QB or sign a starter level FA.

Lots can happen between now and August so who knows, but I'll be very surprised if he's a Steeler this fall.

He may be technically right now but he won't be for the 2022 season unless he signs a new one. As of now Rudolph is the only one who is under contract for 2022. My guess is Dobbs will probably sign a new one and they'll let him go through training camp/preseason but unless someone gets hurt I can't see him making the roster. He's going into his 6th year and has barely played. Rudolph and Haskins both, though not very good, have tons more actual game experience. As I said earlier, Dobbs was probably at best a practice squad guy last year before he was put on IR. He also was very much liked by Big Ben who used him as a coach/advisor and now he's retired. Plus the Steelers are likely going to draft a new QB or sign a starter level FA.

Lots can happen between now and August so who knows, but I'll be very surprised if he's a Steeler this fall.
If Tyler Bray has managed to stay in the league I think Dobbs can stay in the League as a number 3.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
Josh has always conducted himself as a gentleman and a V.F.L. and I wish him sucess in any path that he chooses.

Reactions: BucksnortVol
Wentz has 9 lives. I don’t see it but time will tell if another NFL team takes a chance if Colts let him walk. I don’t want him in the Burgh.

Maybe the Falcons trade Matt Ryan to Pittsburgh for a couple of draft choices.

Th

The Steelers have carried 3 QBs on the roster for decades. They're not going into a season with 2 regardless of who they are.
I think the last time was in the mid 1970's. I'm not sure whether roster size was 43 or 45 at the time. Chuck Noll actually cut Terry Hanratty, and they went with just Terry Bradshaw and Mike Kruczek. But they actually both went down, and had to bring in Tony Dungy. They had converted him to a safety but he had played QB in college.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I think the last time was in the mid 1970's. I'm not sure whether roster size was 43 or 45 at the time. Chuck Noll actually cut Terry Hanratty, and they went with just Terry Bradshaw and Mike Kruczek. But they actually both went down, and had to bring in Tony Dungy. They had converted him to a safety but he had played QB in college.

Noll had 3 QB's at times in the late 80's as well....

I think he will land somewhere as a backup if he elects to continue his NFL career. I don’t recall but assume he makes at least $500k a year. Plus, he will receive a pension if he is in the league for a certain number of years.

As a Steelers fan, I would draft to fill other needs and address QB 2023 draft. If there is a cheap free agent QB then so be it but stay away from Mariotta, etc.
He will already receive the pension. He's been in the League 5 years and I'm pretty positive the requirement is 3 years. Obviously the more time he spends in the better the pension.
Edit: downside is he can't start drawing from it until 55

VN Store

Back