Would you want Bruce Pearl back? [Pearl discussion — merged]

I have never said Barnes is “ bad”. My point has always been we will never get past the Sweet 16 with Barnes. That’s his ceiling. He sucks The confidence out of some of his players and they played scared to make a mistake. That’s how he’s always been. He’s not bad, he’s just not “ elite” like some of you want to make him out to be.
The players make plenty of mistakes and are not pulled. Maybe, just maybe, Barnes tells them specific things to do or don't do, and when they do or don't do those specific things, they get pulled. If the players are too fragile and get scared because they can't follow a specific instruction, that's on them. The fact is you speculate so much as to how much he "sucks the confidence out" and causes the players "to play scared".

The players make plenty of mistakes and are not pulled. Maybe, just maybe, Barnes tells them specific things to do or don't do, and when they do or don't do those specific things, they get pulled. If the players are too fragile and get scared because they can't follow a specific instruction, that's on them. The fact is you speculate so much as to how much he "sucks the confidence out" and causes the players "to play scared".

I'm not sure how anyone can watch Santiago Vescovi or Uros Plavsic play basketball and say Barnes makes his team play scared. Those dudes are about as fearless and tough as they come. Anyone on this team that plays scared is doing so because of their own issues they need to work through, not because Barnes has made them soft.

I'm not sure how anyone can watch Santiago Vescovi or Uros Plavsic play basketball and say Barnes makes his team play scared. Those dudes are about as fearless and tough as they come. Anyone on this team that plays scared is doing so because of their own issues they need to work through, not because Barnes has made them soft.
Exactly. I don't claim to know what goes through his thought process on rotations, but piecing together press conferences and things Barnes has said he expects and seeing the types of mistakes guys make and are being pulled, I'm pretty positive it's the mental mistakes and direct violations of his instructions that get them pulled. He clearly doesn't care about dribbling the ball off a leg, dropping a pass, etc. But if the guy comes in and is not moving his feet defensively and gets a hand-check foul, or lets a guy known for going left go left, yeah, he'll be pulled.

Elite? Really? Don’t know that I’ve ever heard anyone at this site claim that Barnes is an “elite” coach. And before you bring up his salary, there are values Barnes brings to the program that go beyond Xs and Os, Jimmie’s and Joe’s. He has provided stability while under the ncaa microscope following the Tyndall debacle.
To be fair, a lot of folks on here have already awarded him Hall of Fame status.

Been that way for years with Barnes

Elite? Really? Don’t know that I’ve ever heard anyone at this site claim that Barnes is an “elite” coach. And before you bring up his salary, there are values Barnes brings to the program that go beyond Xs and Os, Jimmie’s and Joe’s. He has provided stability while under the ncaa microscope following the Tyndall debacle.
All I ever hear is he is a Hall of Fame coach…. Only because of how long he has coached

Reactions: Big time vol
Well that’s just not very bright. He’s currently 26th in wins all-time and probably ends up in the top 15. He’s taken 4 different teams to the NCAAT. Every one in a P-6 conference.
I know he is your lord and savior, but I don’t think that is a HOF resume. Running a clean program and being above-average to pretty good will allow you to stay employed long enough to rack up wins over 30+ years.

I know he is your lord and savior, but I don’t think that is a HOF resume. Running a clean program and being above-average to pretty good will allow you to stay employed long enough to rack up wins over 30+ years.

Right cause you’re just so perfect 🙄

It’s great but what does it mean if we can’t handle business in March. Barnes hopefully pulls the boys together for a run this year. Even pearl didn’t make the final 4. Id love to see Barnes have a sweet 16 run this year. We will have to shoot the ball well and figure out the offense to do it.
No doubt March is where legends are made or careers are killed but Barnes has done a good job of elevating the program from where it was the few years prior and keeping us nationally relevant. That brings better recruits.

I was a sophomore when he came to campus. I met him and talked with him several times while I was there as did many of the kids on campus. He was always engaging, full of life and excitement, and provided some of the best games in the history of men’s basketball at UT. He loved it here and I am sure he would have retired here if he could have. I hate what happened to him over essentially a barbecue, and though I am happy we have barnes and appreciate what he is doing, I would take back coach Pearl in a heartbeat
I was in school during the Green years and those were pretty fun but I’d have really loved it had Pearl been there while I was a student. I’ve only met him once and it was brief but he absolutely came off as a used car salesman. No doubt the man can coach though. After Barnes is gone I’d be happy to have Bruce but I’m good without him too. I don’t think he will ever be back. As others have said, that time has passed.

People are enamored with Pearl because his coaching history proves that he is a great coach. Barnes is a solid coach. He’s pretty good. His coaching history proves that he’s going to get you into the tournament just about every year. You may lose in the first or second round but once every blue moon he’ll get you to the sweet 16 (maybe better).
Outside of the first 3 years at Auburn when he was building that program up, Pearl is averaging a sweet 16 or better just about every other year in his coaching history. It’s not hard to see why fans long for “what could have been.” Personally I think he would have given Tennessee its first National Championship. But those who love Pearl (I’m not criticizing because I like the guy too) have to remember that Barnes was brought in to stabilize the program. It was going to sh*t. Barnes was never going to win a title here. So far I think Barnes has accomplished what he was brought in to do. Now that the program is stable you have a natural divide. You have some fans that are ok with the status quo and other fans that want to take the next step. Honestly I think the job is Barnes’ until he decides to retire. Hopefully when the time comes we can land the next “King Maker.”
I generally agree with you but why didn’t Pearl do more in the dance while here?

Hahahahahaha. That's so funny. Not "Drooling" over anyone. However, SOME on here have forgotten how much Fun it was when BP was here. Let's SEE how far Auburn goes in the SEC compared to Ut. OH, dang --Auburn hasn't lost any, Ut is now 4-3. Well let's see how far Auburn goes in the SEC & Ncaa Tourney. The question was do you miss BP? Hail yes I do. Barnes is a good coach........BP can compete with and beat Calapari. Have you seen an Auburn Home Game on TV? Wild, Crazy & Infectious. It's called "Entertainment".
Barnes does have a winning record against UK here. Pearl did not if I recall correctly. He sure did well against UF though and those were some good UF teams! I love both coaches.

VN Store

Back