Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, are Barnes' teams getting better or worse? He hasn't done anything in the tournament since he's been here. He hasn't done anything period without Grant Williams, in spite of bringing in 5 star talent.

The 5 star talent isn't coming anymore either.

Why keep him? I think this is his ceiling. It's why Texas fired him. He is what he is.

I think the 5 star talent is part of the problem. They come in and play like freshman. All the talent in the world but good for multiple mistakes per game. They either are good and go pro or stink and here for four years. It’s hard to have chemistry when the team turns over so quick.

I think the 5 star talent is part of the problem. They come in and play like freshman. All the talent in the world but good for multiple mistakes per game. They either are good and go pro or stink and here for four years. It’s hard to have chemistry when the team turns over so quick.
Cal, Self, Roy etc... have done it for years. It's a lazy argument

Reactions: VolNash17
Fulmer won a NC and isnt getting as much equity as Barnes did off 2 years. Our fan base is something else man.

I guess you can’t analyze and compare the 2 situations. Fulmer takes over for JM, who has turned the ship in the right direction. Fulmer makes it even better, wins a title, and has nearly another decade after that with 2 losing seasons in his last 4, including 3-9 against our 3 main rivals in his last 4 years.

Barnes takes over a dumpster fire as the 3rd coach in 3 years, elevates the program to #1, has been in the NCAAT 3 times in 6 years (with no NCAAT one year) and one being just last year, and is just now in year 7.

I know, it takes some critical thinking. One thing they have in common is that both will be victims of their own success.

I would also like to point out. When O Neil and Peterson were hired, TN had Doug Dickey as AD who didn't give a rip about Amy sport other than football. Times and budget are a little different now. White's a guy who I think would actually care about making a good hire.
Barnes was a great hire for us when he was hired. He stabilized the program. Go get us someone who can win. This is an attractive job

Welcome Home....bring us some players !
High helped North Carolina assemble a 2022 recruiting class that's currently ranked No. 8 nationally and No. 1 in the ACC in the industry-generated 247Sports Composite team rankings,

-Callahan

UNC Recruiting Staffers Billy High, Steven Ruzic Headed to SEC Schools (247sports.com)

Sounds big time.. I like that Heup is seeing that he needs to improve recruiting and is trying to address it without having on field staff turnover
GM role?

Yeah.. But you can't lose all those 'big games'on the road in conference...

Like I said.. It's early and still time to turn this around and win some big games at home, and on the road.

It needs to start sooner than later tho. Right now, nobody's scared of this team.

To make it in the NCAAT, yes you can (if that’s the question?) History says so.

If they beat Mizzou, South Carolina, and Vandy on the road with good home wins, it’s fine for making the NCAAT.

Barnes was a great hire for us when he was hired. He stabilized the program. Go get us someone who can win. This is an attractive job
BTW you don't have to preach about Barnes to me I don't like him.
But the attractive job part is the part people don't get, TN is throwing out top 5 money, filling up a 20k seat arena, a school that talent can be brought too, an AD with a last name that carries a big stick. We may not pull a coach from an Elite school, but we aren't going to be fishing in the nobody waters like we have in the past.

Reactions: volsagain
DW hired Oats when he was at Buffalo. I'd take him at TN, if he would leave Bama.
Forbes, Oats and English would be my top 3.

Forbes is interesting, but their schedule is super weak to this point, and he has barely squeaked by some pretty average teams. If he can keep the trajectory they have, then that would be a solid get.

I don’t see why Oats would make the move. He is able to recruit at the same level at Alabama as he would here. He is already set up to be successful going forward.

English has a couple of good wins, but they are 7-6 last I looked.

I guess you can’t analyze and compare the 2 situations. Fulmer takes over for JM, who has turned the ship in the right direction. Fulmer makes it even better, wins a title, and has nearly another decade after that with 2 losing seasons in his last 4, including 3-9 against our 3 main rivals in his last 4 years.

Barnes takes over a dumpster fire as the 3rd coach in 3 years, elevates the program to #1, has been in the NCAAT 3 times in 6 years (with no NCAAT one year) and one being just last year, and is just now in year 7.

I know, it takes some critical thinking. One thing they have in common is that both will be victims of their own success.
He needs to show that he can repeat his success though, that's his problem looking back at his days at TX. He can get there once then he never gets back. At this point I'm all for conceiving this season, but he needs go all in next year. If he can't do something win the SEC, win in Nashville, S16/EE run then he needs to be sent off with a nice retirement package.
I hate that argument anyways, Barnes isn't the reason I think TN B ball can be good, it's Pearl, I know people get tired of hearing his name, but he's the one to get a team to the EE, he had teams finish at the top, took TN to #1, made it to the finals in Nashville. Barnes is simply not meeting those expectations.

He needs to show that he can repeat his success though, that's his problem looking back at his days at TX. He can get there once then he never gets back. At this point I'm all for conceiving this season, but he needs go all in next year. If he can't do something win the SEC, win in Nashville, S16/EE run then he needs to be sent off with a nice retirement package.
I hate that argument anyways, Barnes isn't the reason I think TN B ball can be good, it's Pearl, I know people get tired of hearing his name, but he's the one to get a team to the EE, he had teams finish at the top, took TN to #1, made it to the finals in Nashville. Barnes is simply not meeting those expectations.

Totally deflected from the initial discussion. Barnes did every one of those things mentioned about Pearl except a foul away from the EE. Good discussion.

Not blatantly tampering with other team's players.

If you really believe that then you are sadly mistaken. You don’t achiever success in college football without cheating in every way possible. TN just sucks at cheating.

The moral high ground crap is for losers. I don’t care if we cheat as bad or worse than any team in the country. I just want to win.

Whatever happens with Barnes… I know we’ll make a solid hire. Danny White isn’t retarded and has a great track record of hiring coaches. If this was Fulmer making the hire I would be alot more nervous. Although his women’s basketball hire has been a pleasant surprise up to this point.

I know we need immediate help, but to be honest, I'll be fine with a couple more years hovering around .500 and just stay out of the portal lunacy. Just build the roster the old fashioned way. Do your homework on the HS kids and develop them. With the portal, you're getting someone elses problems in what I'd assume would be the majority of cases. Yeah, there will be exceptions like Hooker, Jones and Payton, but that's not the norm. The playoff regulars will cherry pick the best. For the rest of us, it's a crap shoot. Maybe it's being turned off by the one and dones in basketball or just a feeling of nostalgia, but rebuilding with kids you chose from the high school ranks seems like better odds. So with that "get off my yard" moment, I feel better. ;)

I can agree with this. Although some fans have this 3 years or you can’t get it done mentality. As far as the portal, it seems that some believe it will shorten any kind of rebuild significantly. I disagree. While the portal is good to use, the only way to truly attain success and sustain it is to build a roster the old fashioned way.

Reactions: CAVPUT
That’s not why our team has sucked for 15 years…. There wasn’t a single coach that should have been given more time…. It was the decision makers that ruined our athletics programs.

I'd argue we've struggled to replace bad coaches with significantly better ones partly because they know how far we've fallen and how ridiculously impatient our fanbase is.

I remain utterly amazed Josh Heupel took the job last January, stepping into the mess he did.

Hope he can hold it all together if we only win 7 next year!

mr. checkerboards will be watching!!

Lol

Barnes made it to the SECT finals more than Pearl did, was #1 for longer than Pearl was, and won as many SEC titles as Pearl did. Pearl did take the team to its lone EE though.

Totally deflected from the initial discussion. Barnes did every one of those things mentioned about Pearl except a foul away from the EE. Good discussion.
Nah, you missed the part where I said the problem with Barnes isnt getting there, its showing he can get back. He peaked at Clemson in year 3, stayed one more year then left. He peaked at TX in year 4 then could never get back to that level, he has peaked at TN in year 4. Hes gotta show he can get back.

That’s not why our team has sucked for 15 years…. There wasn’t a single coach that should have been given more time…. It was the decision makers that ruined our athletics programs.

Forgot to point out - implicit in your comment is this concept that a Super Coach is out there that our athletics department failed to call. Lol.

I'd argue we've struggled to replace bad coaches with significantly better ones partly because they know how far we've fallen and how ridiculously impatient our fanbase is.

I remain utterly amazed Josh Heupel took the job last January, stepping into the mess he did.

Hope he can hold it all together if we only win 7 next year!

Mr. Checkerboards will be watching!!

Lol
we have better coaches! the dumb assess in utad burned the forest down. hell it's still lit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back