Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Am I happy with mediocre...do I want to see us achieve actual relevance again?" This, coupled with your statements of "no one is saying we have to get to the top immediately" and "We all know it takes baby steps" says one thing about you: you're not paying attention. My record speaks for itself about my fandom; and, this place is littered with trash post after trash post about recruiting better, Bama, and UGA...I haven't "implied" sh!t.

After years and years of complete garbage, Heupel signed the #11 to #15 class (Rivals, 247); As I said, we are 73-75 since 2010...have had four head coaches...have been drug time and time again in the media for over a decade...and, we have the NCAA up our ass. 7-6 does not wash ALL OF THAT away. You want reality? THAT'S what Heupel is up against, not Bama and UGA; and, STILL, he has a top 15 class.

You and your ilk keep bitching and bellyaching about transfers. We've landed 2 already...one will be our starting RT next year, the other will start opposite Tillman...with PLENTY MORE still there, and PLENTY MORE yet to enter. I have news for you, Heupel and company do not work on your time.

Now, as far as your question of ultimate goal: I knew whenever whoever was hired, unless they were a bona fide miracle worker, it was going to take 5 to 7 years just to have a chance at Atlanta...reality. Heupel may be that bona fide miracle worker. But, let's start with getting to back to back bowl games, shall we...something we haven't done going on 6 years. How about we win 10 games, shall we...something we haven't done in 15 freaking years! Yet, Heupel pulls a rabbit from the hat this year on the field, and an even bigger one on Dec 15th; yet, again, MANY keep spewing, "Heupel has to recruit better" "Bama, UGA".

I feel we are still in stabilize mode. None of us can say for certain that the wheels won't fall off again next year, with some injuries, it could; I don't think they will, but...

Let's get back to absolutely owning UK, Vandy, SC, shall we...beating up on Mizzou consistently, year in and year out. Let's solidify #2 in the East, then maybe we can talk about recruiting with Bama and UGA.

Back to back bowls...10 wins...owning UK, Vandy, SC...beating up Mizzou...beating Florida...#2 in the East...until this, it is ABSOLUTELY laughable to even hint at Bama and UGA.

To end: Heupel’s recruiting, so far, has been absolutely, 💯, unbelievably amazing. Talking about ANYTHING other than that, and only that, I have to question how much sense one has.

Now, I apologize, but you poked the bear with your second question.

I have to say that my first read through of your quoted post had me agree with Weezer’s response. When I reread it, I saw what you were saying.
However, his response wasn’t a personal attack, Your rebuttal was.
Can’t we just discuss the team with love without the “Jane, you ignorant slut” verbage?
Your rebuttal had merit when you filter out all the personal slurs. See my edit above.

Reactions: SmokinBob
I don't think he did that by himself. Hamilton gave him a shade under a million bucks for a "non-contractural buyout." You don't do that for a dude who got caught red-handed committing a major infraction unless he can take others down with him. Football program was rife with infractions. I think someone in UTAD encouraged CBP to tell a tale without even contemplating the possibility of a photo showing up online, which would align perfectly with the SOP of the GOBINS era in UTAD.
Wow, I am agreeing with you and checkerboards today. Apocalypse confirmed.

Unless Heup is great coach, blueprint for winning big in SEC is talent acquisition. Look at Kirby, Jimbo, and Saban. All had rough year 1s. Argument could be that Heup has had a better year 1 than all three. Now on to year 2. Can Heup win 8+? And the parlay that into a top 10 class? All three had huge Yr 2s. I would say, Heup gets an extra year given our circumstances, but bottom line to get back to winning big he is going to have to stack 3-4 top 10 classes. Otherwise, we will be stuck at 7-8 win tier. Which after last 15 years, isn't terrible, either. Just means a decision might have to be made if we are just winning 8 games by year 4 or 5.
Jimmys and Joes.

Reactions: Leeleesteeth
Dooley was just one disaster after another. Might be one of the worst head coaches in CFB history.

At least I had low expectations for Dooles and Butch was a complete unknown. No one disappointed (and infuriated) me more than Pruitt. Thought the floor would be a less successful Kirby - if not good on game days, at least capable of gathering the talent and managing the program.

Man, that dude.. What a nightmarish, clusterfriking goober.

Bruce has responsibility to share here, for sure, but the admin and Hamilton screwed him and all of us over.
That’s what ticks me off….. we get mad at former coaches….. players that left us…..the people that should be taking the brunt of our ire is our previous administrations that turned this university into an absolute joke…. I don’t care anything about Pearl but the same situation happened at Bama, Florida, Georgia, or Auburn and he would still be their head coach.

It's a lot of fun. I've done it several times on a couple of my boats. A truly unique game day experience every Vol fan should do at least once.

How many boats you got there Mike? Got your own flotilla?

Maybe get a few from InVOLuntary and we could have our own VN attack group. 🤠

At least I had low expectations for Dooles and Butch was a complete unknown. No one disappointed (and infuriated) me more than Pruitt. Thought the floor would be a less successful Kirby - if not good on game days, at least capable of gathering the talent and managing the program.

Man, that dude.. What a nightmarish, clusterfriking goober.

When I first heard that Pruitt was a candidate, it puked me. I hated that dude. He was the true Byron's boy. Then, after the Schiano udder debacle, I wanted him to come here because at that time, our other options were Sonny Dykes and Kevin Steele. I talked myself into it. I did enjoy the strong finish in 2019, but I have to agree, he was a complete nightmare and we would have been much better off with Steele.

Dooley was just one disaster after another. Might be one of the worst head coaches in CFB history.

I will see your dooley and raise you a pruitt. All in. butch would be a push. He achieved more but had a season with ZERO SEC wins. That can never be forgotten or forgiven. Also throw kiffin in there as a kicker. His departure is the reason for the panic hire of dooley. So we should quit this and have a drink…😐

Add this stuff up and see if it comes out to a top 10 offense..

#1..A QB picked up off of the garbage pile.

#2..A mediocre starting OL that becomes horrid as injuries pile up.

#3..A former 2* WR , a couple of mediocre transfers, and a bunch of young guys with the dropsies.

#4 TEs...uhhm yeah..

#5 RBs...A really good Juco guy that promptly gets hurt a few games in and then pretty much quits with several games left, a decent hard working guy that is broken and plays with a broken shoulder and all year, a tiny guy that is useless in short yardage and can't block worth a crap, a big slow LB that looks like he is running in molasses, and a walkon..

Now...how in the world does that add up to a top 10 offense? I mean that is absolutely ridiculous when you really break it down.

It is logical to assume that if Josh Heupel had elite talent to work with every year...that NCAA records would fall.

Yes - it is.

Which is the point of stocking the D this offseason with transfers from the portal. If they hit on a couple, the D will improve with the experience coming back. Improved D with a top scoring O, could produce 10+ wins next season. If that were to happen, the rebuild would escalate quickly.

Anybody doubt that the O will be top three in scoring next season if they stay reasonably healthy and Hooker improves even a small amount? I sure don't. Get a few more 3 and outs and/or turnovers on D - more possessions for the O to score.

There is not a single team on the schedule that is an automatic loss any more. None. The biggest obstacle they will face is the officiating crews. That one is on Danny to handle, not Heup. We will be in every game with a shot to win. In Heup's second season. After the past dozen years of futility, that is amazing.

Last edited:
This is one thing we can completely agree on. Many have said that Pearl had lied to the administration and that is why they left him twisting. It got us in a great amount of trouble when all they had to do was tell him what was being asked and say to take the hit for the bbq and he is likely still here. Another one of Hamilton's gifts that keeps on giving.
Like someone else mentioned. I think Pearl took the fall to hide other infractions. Aka digging into to football.

I'm glad we did it. Cant stand sight of his cheating face. Yeah were some great memories. But, I'm over the snake oil med salesmen. Also, prob needs to keep his yap shut over covid policy. He's got a damn good team in Auburn.
Well if you cant stand the sight of cheaters, you probably shouldn't watch college athletics.

Reactions: VolNash17
That’s what ticks me off….. we get mad at former coaches….. players that left us…..the people that should be taking the brunt of our ire is our previous administrations that turned this university into an absolute joke…. I don’t care anything about Pearl but the same situation happened at Bama, Florida, Georgia, or Auburn and he would still be their head coach.

Plenty of hate for them, just not sure if some things will ever change. Not with the dragging TN takes for any and everything. From throwing trash, to violations, arrests, whatever.

I know - we're going to be roasted regardless, should probably just throw up the double Gauldens. But the academic side will always demand "university integrity" first and ours is ripped apart for things the GAs and Bamas of the world, just aren't.🤬

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back