Kirby = Fulmer

Did you look at the link I posted earlier of Fulmer’s year to year record? Again, when a coach is at his alma mater, everything is different. Fulmer would’ve gotten canned (or left) sooner if he was an outsider. This is not about “Georgia is an elite program and will recruit itself” Tennessee is the same, look at all the buffoon coaches we’ve had and recruiting has never been the issue. It’s about any coach to stay focused, hungry (not buffet 🤣) and minimize off field politics. Also side note, notice Jim Harbaugh at his alma mater is also looking to go back to NFL? Probably Raiders or Bears
I know what Fulmers record says about him. The 5yrs before he won the NC he had 3 10 win seasons and those 3 were with arguable the best qb we have ever had. The years after he had 2 8 wins 2 9 wins 4 10+ wins and 2 5 win seasons. No evidence whatsoever have you provided that this will be the case for any coach or has been the case. Right now any vol fan would kill for one of Fulmers off years of 8 wins and if they say otherwise they are lying.

What Smart has that Fulmer doesn't have is the College Football Playoff..... hear me out.

How many second chances does Fulmer get for a National Championship?

If we were still in the BCS system then Georgia doesn't play for the National Championship this year. It would have been Alabama vs Michigan.

UGA probably takes a step back this year as they'll lose a lot of players to graduation and NFL. That'll still put them a step or two up in everyone in the East, especially if he can find an actual QB. But he's probably got a two year window until the portal starts neutralizing his advantage. After that he's going to have to hire well, and coach well, that includes Saturdays. Something he's been questionable at. I think he's going to have to evolve, but can he?

Reactions: HalfullVol
2 pnt conversion 100% right call. Even Herbie said it, but hey he don't know much

Also have to remember would have been half the distance to the goal had they elected to use it there instead of on kickoff.

Anytime you can make it 2 possession game you take it.
With our defense, definitely make it a 2 possession game. But with that georgia D? I’d take the easy extra point for an 8 point lead and force bama to get in the end zone on 2 consecutive plays. Bama got in the end zone once on 5 or 6 trips to the red zone. An 8 point lead with that D is like a 2 possession game.

Reactions: Doberman
With our defense, definitely make it a 2 possession game. But with that georgia D? I’d take the easy extra point for an 8 point lead and force bama to get in the end zone on 2 consecutive plays. Bama got in the end zone once on 5 or 6 trips to the red zone. An 8 point lead with that D is like a 2 possession game.

Definately.

Reactions: BlinghamptonVol
What Smart has that Fulmer doesn't have is the College Football Playoff..... hear me out.

If we were still in the BCS system then Georgia doesn't play for the National Championship this year. It would have been Alabama vs Michigan.

LOL So which of these Fulmer teams would have qualified for the playoffs? 2001 maybe, or maybe not after being embarrassed so badly in Atlanta.

He will never be the same. Winning it at alma mater changes EVERYTHING! He will not be able to manage it!

Yeah, poor guy. Winning a Natty at your alma mater in a talent-rich state really sucks I'm sure. Real program killer there.

Recruiting gonna dry up in 5...4...3.....

The only two times that Tennessee would have for sure made a four team playoff were ‘97 and ‘98. Probably would have made it in ‘95, although it wasn’t guaranteed. And the argument cuts both ways, if there had been a playoff in ‘98, there’s no guarantee that Tennessee wins.

And I’ll also add that if there were just a BCS, Georgia wins the National Championship in 2017. The title game would have been Clemson vs UGA, and there’s little doubt that UGA wins, especially with Clemson trotting out Kelly Bryant at QB.

This is correct.

I don't think that's a given.

Cutcliffe is a great QB coach, and a good Offensive Coordinator, but he never showed any superior abilities as a HC in his stints at Ole' Miss and Duke.
He never had an elite roster 3-4 deep at every position like Fulmer did either at Ole Miss & Duke.

Kirby's been UGA head coach for 6 years. He's 66-15 overall (8-5 in year 1 with Richt's players), 6-2 in bowls, and 3-1 in playoffs. In those 6 years he's won 1 National Title, 1 SEC title, and 4 SEC Eastern Division Titles.

What CFB HC has a better first 6 year resume than Kirby? Where has he "choked"?
More NFL elite level talent on all these rosters than any other program in college football except for Alabama since his arrival. Richt had it loaded well upon Smart’s arrival.

Yet….

2020 lost to Alabama and Florida
2019 lost to South Carolina and LSU
2018 lost to Alabama, LSU, and Texas
2017 lost to Auburn and Alabama
2016 lost to Ole Miss, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Florida, and Georgia Tech

If you are outclassing these teams in athletes yet losing 2 or more games a season….he is choking. Dabo and Saban….they bring the trophies with rosters equivalent to Georgia’s. So yes…he got it done after 41 years. 2016-2020 were chokefests.

Reactions: beachvol23

And Fulmer would have only payed for one. And bama would not have been there the year they beat UGA for the title bc they didn't win the sec.

More NFL elite level talent on all these rosters than any other program in college football except for Alabama since his arrival. Richt had it loaded well upon Smart’s arrival.

Yet….

2020 lost to Alabama and Florida
2019 lost to South Carolina and LSU
2018 lost to Alabama, LSU, and Texas
2017 lost to Auburn and Alabama
2016 lost to Ole Miss, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Florida, and Georgia Tech

If you are outclassing these teams in athletes yet losing 2 or more games a season….he is choking. Dabo and Saban….they bring the trophies with rosters equivalent to Georgia’s. So yes…he got it done after 41 years. 2016-2020 were chokefests.
Dabo has one more title then Kirby so relax

VN Store

Back