Kirby = Fulmer

" omg, Kirby is so awesome"
"Omg, Kirby is the best coach"
"Omg, Kirby is the best recruiter"
" Omg, Kirby is going to win forever"
"Omg, I wanna have Kirby's baby"

🤣🤣
Battered Vol syndrome is very real…I never bought into it before, but it is alive and consumes way too many.

Reactions: joevol33
Well yeah, but when you lose 2 guys like that on offense, I don't care who you are, it hurts. That's probably 25% or more of their offensive production just from Metchi.

Exactly! Tough loss. Where were their backups? Why weren't they prepared to play at a high level...? You know that 3 of ga's 4 tds were by FRESHMEN? TE, WR, DB Where were bama's freshmen?

Saban took over Bama when they’re weren’t good and built them into a winning program.

Smart took over a 10 win team with elite players and had very little to no rebuilding involved.

So what if Kirby Smart beat Saban last night?

He has 7 National Championships. One at LSU & Six at Alabama.

You most likely won’t see this kind of level success again.

You have been one that has continued to say that Smart isn’t a good HC. That he has tons of talent yet can’t win the big one. Well he did. He took elite talent and won. Richt can’t hold Smarts clipboard. Smart is one of the top coaches in college football. Beating Saban in a NC game is a big deal. Dabo was nothing until he beat Saban in the NC.

I hate UGA almost as much as I hate Bama and UF. But if you cannot see that Smart is one of the best coaches in college football then you are being intentionally ignorant.

😂😂😂😂 them smart nutzz taste good??? High in protein? Fiber?

Tell me again what Kirby record against Saban js again? There are at least a dozen other coaches who could when a Natty with that roster....

Amazing recruiter not a great coach

Please explain how he isn’t a good head coach. Recruiting is part of coaching is it not? The fact is no other coach has that roster do they? Smart built it. Richt didn’t recruit anywhere near this level.

So please tell us why the guy that just dominated Nick Saban in a NC game isn’t a good HC. Using your logic, Dabo and Day aren’t good either. Because they had Lawrence and Fields. They had rosters full of elite talent right? So that means at least a dozen of head coaches could have done what they have.

Also, I am curious, how do you define a good coach if not by his success?

Reactions: DickeyD
So for Kirby to be a "good coach", he had to take over a Georgia that had spent a few years under a bad coach?

That's how we're defining a "good coach" now?

No.

The Saban comparisons are dumb and not even remotely close to the same thing.

Most likely, Bama will be in the hunt for another National Championship.

The whole “Georgia taking over” is overblown.

Reactions: TN1111
If you dislike Smart, you shouldn’t compare him to Fulmer. Jimbo is more like Fulmer, not Smart. I watched a lot of the games from the channel that featured Jimbo and his staff. It was amazing how they were always looking ahead, but thinking about the next play at the same time. What the defense was doing, how to beat it, clock management, personnel on the field, what to do if the play was successful or if it was not. Also an insight to how they felt when a player messed up or made a great (really great not what announcers call great) play. No one on VN can compare to knowing the game like these coaches.
Remember, there are a few great teams and coaches every year. Only 1 wins the final game. Doesn’t mean the other coaches are stupid. Kirby has done more in 6 years than anyone other than Sabin.

If you dislike Smart, you shouldn’t compare him to Fulmer. Jimbo is more like Fulmer, not Smart. I watched a lot of the games from the channel that featured Jimbo and his staff. It was amazing how they were always looking ahead, but thinking about the next play at the same time. What the defense was doing, how to beat it, clock management, personnel on the field, what to do if the play was successful or if it was not. Also an insight to how they felt when a player messed up or made a great (really great not what announcers call great) play. No one on VN can compare to knowing the game like these coaches.
Remember, there are a few great teams and coaches every year. Only 1 wins the final game. Doesn’t mean the other coaches are stupid. Kirby has done more in 6 years than anyone other than Sabin.
Jimbo is not and was not at his alma mater, being at one’s alma mater is something people are grossly overlooking and underestimating. Saban having zero connections at Bama is part of what has allowed him to sustain success: he didn’t have pre-existing connections and emotional ties. I know a lot of this is too much for many to understand but the reason I started this thread is so that we can watch it play out and it will be interesting to see in two years five years or 10 years!!!

6 years of Kirby and he won it with his players...no more richt crap. Richt was good but he aint no Kirby. Kirby aint no Saban. at least not yet. if ever

Imagine thinking that a coach who has won 81% of his games, a National Championship, a SEC Title, played for another national championship, and won four division titles isn’t a top flight coach.

It’s become a cultural thing now.

Can’t tell you how many times people talk about a top 10 team and act that team is garbage

He sucks as a coach...still making bonehead calls. Should have went for 2 tonight to make it a 2 possession game before the pick 6
Really score a TD go up 8. Their D had allowed one TD to that point. You take the chance, especially since they stopped the previous 2 point attempt. Why would you ever put yourself in position to lose an 8 point game?

Reactions: Doberman
Imagine thinking that a coach who has won 81% of his games, a National Championship, a SEC Title, played for another national championship, and won four division titles isn’t a top flight coach.

That’s my point. If that doesn’t define a great coach, then what does?

Reactions: DickeyD
Everyone saying this why??? Kirby has been a head coach for 6 years.....Look at what he has done. Taken a good team (Richt wasn't bad) and elevated it to the pinnacle of the sport. He has many good to great years left.
He took a team that was loaded with talent but did not play very well. He has unlimited in Georgia high school football which Richt recruited well and he has continued to recruit that talent. I believe he has more talent on his team than any other coach in the Nation. He will continue to recruit very well and have very good teams. We will see if he can win more titles. We will not know for another 2-4 years. In the meantime, I believe Tennessee will continue to recruit better @nd we have a coach who shocked a number of football “experts” around the Nation with what he was able to accomplish in 2021. There is no reason to believe his teams will not get better with better recruiting. I look forward to the next few years to see where Tennessee stand in the next 3-4 years.

He took a team that was loaded with talent but did not play very well. He has unlimited in Georgia high school football which Richt recruited well and he has continued to recruit that talent. I believe he has more talent on his team than any other coach in the Nation. He will continue to recruit very well and have very good teams. We will see if he can win more titles. We will not know for another 2-4 years. In the meantime, I believe Tennessee will continue to recruit better @nd we have a coach who shocked a number of football “experts” around the Nation with what he was able to accomplish in 2021. There is no reason to believe his teams will not get better with better recruiting. I look forward to the next few years to see where Tennessee stand in the next 3-4 years.

Totally, the future is unknown. UT can definitely compete - it's all about recruiting. Jimmy and Joes for the win. We will get there.

I agree…at the same time many thought the same of Fulmer because he rarely beat Spurrier. It didn’t matter that he basically owned everyone else in the SEC at that time. That’s why I say [as of right now] Kirby mirrors Fulmer more than Saban.

The additional negative during Fulmer’s run was that he unfortunately had his nemesis in the same division. Had Florida been in the West for instance, we would have had by default several additional SEC eastern titles.

Fulmer did the same thing but couldn’t sustain on field success, big head, choked, and Kirby has already shown his first four years that he’s more likely to choke than to win big.
Fulmer had very successful careers after he won the championship. He had a couple of bad years and we fired him like idiots and put us in a 15+ yr spiral of being the laughing stock. Kirby will continue to win because he is a good coach and GA is an elite program that will recruit itself.

I agree…at the same time many thought the same of Fulmer because he rarely beat Spurrier. It didn’t matter that he basically owned everyone else in the SEC at that time. That’s why I say [as of right now] Kirby mirrors Fulmer more than Saban.

The additional negative during Fulmer’s run was that he unfortunately had his nemesis in the same division. Had Florida been in the West for instance, we would have had by default several additional SEC eastern titles.
What if saban wasn’t the bar? What if we treated him like he is, the complete outlier in all of sports? If you remove saban from the conversation and then rank coaches or tiered coaches to great, good average, bad. How would that impact your rankings. Remove saban’s near perfection, and then tier coaches. Because saban is an anomaly sports will never see again.

Reactions: Mtnvol80
I remember reading the same nonsense on this board when Kirby took the job.

And just for the record: Mark Richt is Fulmer

VN Store

Back