Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
They beat a terrible florida team, beat a mediocre UNC team, but had a terrible roster. They overachieved greatly and media believes it's due to coaching. They also got Caleb Williams so they believe Beamer will have a solid year next year, that's the only thing I can think of.
Was USCjr talent that bad? They had no QB but Muschamp recruited decent and maybe he just sucked as a coach.

Well he deserves some credit for being able to have superior talent then. I mean he's doing something right, 81.5% winning percentage and he's been there 6 years in the SEC isn't something bad coaches do.
He doesn't get credit from me for 💩. Ask Atl why Georgia suddenly started stacking talent like cordwood.

I agree with both of you. I think you can both be correct on this.

Kirby saw firsthand how to build Bama. Took the exact same blueprint and implemented it to a T at UGA. Jimbo has tried as well. Fulmer thought Pruitt was going to do it (idiots).

Kirby was smart to stay under Saban for so long. He could have left, plenty of people came calling with blank checks. But he stayed because he knew he still had things to learn and he knew that he hadn't seen the completed product of what Saban was doing. He learned through their collective mistakes and successes, and was able to witness the greatest to ever do it navigate new challenges and push the envelope in every way.

But what Saban had to fight for - bigger budget(s), better workout regimes, nutrition programs, pushing sports science in every way, bigger/better facilities, expanded staffs, the ins and outs of the dirty and clean recruiting process, media management, creating new positions, defining those positions, how to work with boosters, how to become the czar, how to manage personalities (players and coaches). Kirby didn't have to build any of that from scratch or design any of that in an inventive/creative way. He saw what worked and what didn't work, and took the schematics to his program of choice to do it on his own.

He deserves credit for his patience. He deserves credit for his diplomacy and salesmanship - to get a major program to buy in completely. He deserves credit for rallying everyone in the program behind one cause.

Everyone is like "oh that's easy when you have money and rich white guys that just want to win!" but there's only a handful of programs that have that complete buy-in. There are a couple dozen that try, but the booster can't get out of the way, or the leadership can't get beyond the politics, or the coach(es) aren't slick. "This is freaking easy dude, just throw money at em and build a winning roster" is what got Moose popped. It's just one aspect of the 20 things it takes to build a Bama.

Do I think that Kirby is a great coach? Not really. He's not doing anything that 20+ other coaches could do better with that same roster. Like I said after the SEC title game, it's easy to look great when your LBs are the size of DEs and just as fast as DBs. He has freaks and mutants all over the field.

I do think it's ok to tip your hat when someone's plan works.

Last edited:
So, in reality, unless a surprise happens, we have one legit shot at a high school prospect, and that's the Mitchell kid choosing between us and Florida.

So the only way to add to our class is through the portal. And per AP last night, we aren't recruiting anyone in the portal.
Didn't you just say yesterday they're trying to land players that aren't in the portal yet? lol

How is White Castle an 'invention'?

Someone had leftover scraps from the cow. With no refrigeration the entrails got thrown on two pieces of enriched bread, with crappy pickle and some day old cheese. That's like falling forward and decrying gravity is yours.
I use ground beef for my burgers.

Reactions: Jackcrevol
So, in reality, unless a surprise happens, we have one legit shot at a high school prospect, and that's the Mitchell kid choosing between us and Florida.

So the only way to add to our class is through the portal. And per AP last night, we aren't recruiting anyone in the portal.
They're not in the portal yet...

happens in the NFL all the time. it's hard to beat the same team twice.

Does work more for the team that losses the 1st matchup. If you're the winner, you're never sure how much to tamper with a successful formula. The loser now knows that formula AND has full "throw the kitchen sink at it" opportunity.

With Bama down so many weapons, just the perfect setup for bowl cut.
Uhg, he's just so punchable.

I'm in the minority here......but I'd love to see it go back to the way it was before the BCS. I know it will never happen.
Split NC's............who cares. It was something that made D1A college football unique.
More money is great, but it can ruin things as well.
Do away with OT too!

Reactions: peaygolf
I agree with both of you. I think you can both be correct on this.

Kirby saw firsthand how to build Bama. Took the exact same blueprint and implemented it to a T at UGA. Jimbo has tried as well. Fulmer thought Pruitt was going to do it (idiots).

Kirby was smart to stay under Saban for so long. He could have left, plenty of people came calling with blank checks. But he stayed because he knew he still had things to learn and he knew that he hadn't seen the completed product of what Saban was doing. He learned through their collective mistakes and successes, and was able to witness the greatest to ever do it navigate new challenges and push the envelope in every way.

But what Saban had to fight for - bigger budget(s), better workout regimes, nutrition programs, pushing sports science in every way, bigger/better facilities, expanded staffs, the ins and outs of the dirty and clean recruiting process, media management, creating new positions, defining those positions, how to work with boosters, how to become the czar, how to manage personalities (players and coaches). Kirby didn't have to build any of that from scratch or design any of that in an inventive/creative way. He saw what worked and what didn't work, and took the schematics to his program of choice to do it on his own.

He deserves credit for his patience. He deserves credit for his diplomacy and salesmanship - to get a major program to buy in completely. He deserves credit for rallying everyone in the program behind one cause.

Everyone is like "oh that's easy when you have money and rich white guys that just want to win!" but there's only a handful of programs that have that complete buy-in. There are a couple dozen that try, but the booster can't get out of the way, or the leadership can't get beyond the politics, or the coach(es) aren't slick. "This is freaking easy dude, just throw money at em and build a winning roster" is what got Moose popped. It's just one aspect of the 20 things it takes to build a Bama.

Do I think that Kirby is a great coach? Not really. He's not doing anything that 20+ other coaches could do better with that same roster. Like I said after the SEC title game, it's easy to look great when your LBs are the size of DEs and just as fast as DBs. He has freaks and mutants all over the field.

I do think it's ok to tip your hat when someone's plan works.
This is a really good post.

Was USCjr talent that bad? They had no QB but Muschamp recruited decent and maybe he just sucked as a coach.
Meant they got rattler, but yeah they had some players transfer out but I don't think their roster was as bad as the media makes it out to be. Some of them will always just continue to "hate" Tennessee until Tennessee becomes relevant again.

Reactions: VolInDayton
My pride is a reason why I wouldn't do that.

Lol. Your best friend steals your wife and your like, "I'm an adult, I harbor no ill feelings toward you, best of luck to the both of you. Let's grab coffee some time. Cheers."

That's not prideful.

There's a word for that but won't use it here.

Last edited:
And I'm going to say this again...play Heupel with equal talent and Josh would drag his bum ass.

I just don't like dealing in "ifs" cause by the time Heupel gets equal talent I could be in the ground.

I think Heupel is a better coach, but Kirby is doing something right. If you don't want to give him credit that's fine, but it's one man's opinion...that will regardless of what you think be shared by very few.

Reactions: VolNash17
Just my .02 but to me the playoff expansion is a moot point until some structural changes are made to CFB, such as reducing scholarship numbers, NIL caps, etc.
capping coaching salaries, changing transfer dates, changing what can be reviewed/limiting power of officials/paying officials more/background checks of, cappin NIL deals or at least moderating.

middle ground here is that the NCAA is a joke. I can hear Flava Flav now, NCAA is a joke!

Reactions: YNWAvols
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back