Powell and barnes

Actually he's apparently expected to be an absolute defensive stopper or he won't see much time on the floor. I'd imagine his lack of shooting is him trying to concentrate his energy there so he can see the floor.

They don’t have to be stoppers. They can’t be a weak link.

Barnes would rather prove a point than win a game.
EXACTLY ****ING RIGHT!!! THIS is why the game has passed Barnes by. Time to get a younger coach that will encourage instead of discourage. Barnes has been the MOST overrated coach in the history of the sport. I know it sucks, but its true. How much talent has this guy squamdered in his time here??? Its time to move on.

Reactions: 1985Vols
EXACTLY ****ING RIGHT!!! THIS is why the game has passed Barnes by. Time to get a younger coach that will encourage instead of discourage. Barnes has been the MOST overrated coach in the history of the sport. I know it sucks, but its true. How much talent has this guy squamdered in his time here??? Its time to move on.
It is interesting to me how Rick's 2 best teams here were made up of lightly-recruited, overlooked players, and all of his highly-talented teams have underachieved. That, of course, was also his M.O. at Texas for years. Rick's single-most talented team at Texas with a generational talent + 3 more eventual NBA draft picks lost 10 games and got bounced in the Round of 32.

Do these elite recruits he brings in need smoke blown up their ass? Do they not respond to his style of coaching? Barnes obviously isn't the guy to do that.

Reactions: Hbg
It is interesting to me how Rick's 2 best teams here were made up of lightly-recruited, overlooked players, and all of his highly-talented teams have underachieved. That, of course, was also his M.O. at Texas for years. Rick's single-most talented team at Texas with a generational talent + 3 more eventual NBA draft picks lost 10 games and got bounced in the Round of 32.

Do these elite recruits he brings in need smoke blown up their ass? Do they not respond to his style of coaching? Barnes obviously isn't the guy to do that.

I’m starting to wonder if Rob Lanier was the David Cutcliffe to Barnes’ Phillip Fulmer. We’ve recruited better talent but the development has gone down significantly since Lanier left.

You would think they could run some sets and get Powell some good looks. If he gets a
good look it is an accident.
We don’t run any sets. We bring all 5 out beyond the arc and tell KC to take it to the rim. Pitiful offensive philosophy. Same as last year. No motion. No cutters. No back screens. Hard to watch. Pathetic, actually.
Powell’s defender shades his way and when/if he gets the ball there is no shot to take.

Team has been painful to watch the past couple years. Instead of carrying the momentum they created a few years ago, they have squandered some amazing talent. And I honestly dont know how vescovi has a D1 scholarship. They can kiss the top 25 goodbye

Team has been painful to watch the past couple years. Instead of carrying the momentum they created a few years ago, they have squandered some amazing talent. And I honestly dont know how vescovi has a D1 scholarship. They can kiss the top 25 goodbye

Vescovi has been one of our best players this season.

Wtf are you talking about?

Least know what you’re talking about before you type out dumb sh*t like that.

For Tennessee he’s only got the most points, the most steals, 2nd most assists, and 3rd most rebounds…….he should be playing D3.
Stats are for losers .. we ain't doin NOTHIN with this team this year

Can’t disagree with this. Other than the 2019 season, what had Barnes really done here? If not for Admiral and Grant, 2019 never happens and Barnes inherited Admiral and tried to run him off. I was Initially skeptical when we hired Barnes because of his age and the fact the Texas hired him because he basically underachieved there, with such great talent and little to show for it. Seems to be a recurring theme with Barnes, I watch teams like Auburn, LSU, even Texas A&M and they all are overachieving. Not sure where we fall in the SEC right now but it’s not looking good

I’m starting to wonder if Rob Lanier was the David Cutcliffe to Barnes’ Phillip Fulmer. We’ve recruited better talent but the development has gone down significantly since Lanier left.
Add Alex English to that. I was thinking the same thing last night.

I haven’t the faintest clue how dude can avg 10 at auburn, transfer to tn and barely see the floor, any answers? Same player, diff coaches?

He just played until early December sidelined with a concussion so small amount of games against the weak
sisters from lower divisions.

I haven’t the faintest clue how dude can avg 10 at auburn, transfer to tn and barely see the floor, any answers? Same player, diff coaches?
Barnes is not a good bench coach. There is no alpha star to step up.

Reactions: jeff1vol
We don’t run any sets. We bring all 5 out beyond the arc and tell KC to take it to the rim. Pitiful offensive philosophy. Same as last year. No motion. No cutters. No back screens. Hard to watch. Pathetic, actually.
Powell’s defender shades his way and when/if he gets the ball there is no shot to take.

Someone posted the video of an old Florida game where Scotty Hopson hit the winning shot (after Scotty’s professional story). All we did in the last 2 minutes was stand around on offense. I liked Pearl, but his flex offense wasn’t much better. Guys just had to make plays. Scotty’s shot wasn’t particularly open-he just made it.

Our offense literally should be KC and ZZ penetrating either one on one, because no one can stay in front of those guys, or off of some high screen action from Fulky/ON/Uros. Once we get inside they can (1) score, (2) pass to a big man (catchable ball though), or (3) pass back out to a shooter. We have to find a way to get the ball inside and play inside out to have any chance at success. We don’t move the ball well at all though. Even when we do pass the passes are often not good so the receiver can’t immediately shoot or pass to the next player.
Don’t forget (4) Turn it over at a high rate. They have to value the ball more.

What? Barnes is one of the highest paid coaches in college BB. He’s got to be great. I would swap him for the UCLA coach in a second. I know hindsight is 20/20 but the athletic department should have let him go when the opportunity arose. Now it’s too late. All we can do is hope for the best, whatever that is.

He doesn't play defense the way Barnes wants him to. If you don't play defense, you will not see the floor at Tennessee.

He played 22 minutes in the Ole Miss game and 10 minutes against LSU; that's not barely seeing the floor IMO.

What? Barnes is one of the highest paid coaches in college BB. He’s got to be great. I would swap him for the UCLA coach in a second. I know hindsight is 20/20 but the athletic department should have let him go when the opportunity arose. Now it’s too late. All we can do is hope for the best, whatever that is.
I just can’t comprehend anyone wanting to see Fulmer try to run a basketball coaching search after the total mess he made in football as AD.

Reactions: VolFreakJosh
Barnes doesn't give Powell enough of a leash imo. Take JJJ for instance. He was absolutely atrocious last night and still played 27 minutes. Powell immediately gets yanked if he plays as bad as JJJ did. Powell is playing very tight imo because he knows one mistake will earn him a spot on the bench.

Go to the 9:02 mark of the first half…Powell missed assignment on FT and allows LSU putback which started their run, doesn’t throw a great pass to JJJ which leads to turnover (JJJ should’ve caught it), leaves Days open for 3 (their best shooter) rather than lower % shooter in corner…Barnes calls TO and immediately goes to Powell, was a really rough 90 second sequence for him.

Reactions: Volflyfisher
To date, Powell can only shoot at home. On the road....can't hit the side of a barn.

Still ahead of Bailey who can't shoot anywhere.

I liked the second half energy # 15 gave us last night.

VN Store

Back