Tyler Baron in the portal (or not)

That's interesting.
Indeed. Beckwith was a no brainer. Honestly, I really don't remember him having any games where you could kinda, sorta, maybe call it a breakout game for him. Wish him well unless he ends up at an SEC school.

edit: Now that I read about his father and maybe a work ethic issue, it's not really that big a surprise after all.

Reactions: sjt18
This entire recruiting process thing is not always how the common fan thinks it is. Example Harrison Smith went to ND over TN. He attended 12 years of parochial school and was comfortable in that environment. I would guess Fulmer would have been the only coach who had a chance to sign him but because ND wanted him he went to ND. Money is nice but Doc Smith could have paid tuition anywhere he decided to go. Cade Mays picked GA even though he was the child of a VFL. He ended up back in TN but IMO it was more of a jumping point because he was going to have a hard time being the top dawg at GA on the OL and Pittman was not at GA. Cooper Mays on the other hand wanted to play at TN and he is here. Amari Rogers went to Clemson because they were a top program and he had a relationship with a Clemson grad and his Daddy was not there. He is playing at Green Bay? Tucker went to Clemson because he had a relationship with a Clemson grad just as Rodgers did. Nolen picked aTm even though he had a VFL in his life., we had no chance of getting the kid even though he played a year at Powell. my bet is we sign his brother in a few years.

Last edited:
there is some chatter he might be getting an NIL deal to remain at Tennessee.. see what transpires
This is how we SHOULD be using NIL money, IMO. Much rather see our guys using it to keep guys here and bring in players we know can play at this level rather than use it to recruit HS players that may or may not live up to expectations.

A
Man, we're still in the starting blocks on this NIL race while others have taken full advantage. I have no problem with NIL, but it was poorly thought out and just created the wild, wild west. Don't know why I would expect anything else other than bassackwards from the NCAA.
nd if you snooze you lose. Zack Evans to ole Miss

Not really… he is looking at Kentucky as one example. Looking at places that he knows he can start and play more downs.
Not play more downs, UT had more than double the opportunities for defensive players than anyone other than Ole Miss. There were as many as 120 snaps per game, at Bama they were lucky to get 60.

I think this is more of a fit issue, I thought he was more of a 34 lb than a 43 de, and apparently there's some connection with His father and the school that may or may not be playing a part in His decision.

Not play more downs, UT had more than double the opportunities for defensive players than anyone other than Ole Miss. There were as many as 120 snaps per game, at Bama they were lucky to get 60.
I’ll bite. My reference was to Kentucky. TN on defense averaged ~17 more plays per game than Kentucky, so yes we were on the field more (not quite double). My point is it doesn’t even matter if you are going to be buried down the depth chart. I think with our folks coming in and his challenge already to crack the starting rotation, he will look for more opportunities elsewhere to make an impact. Sure I hate to see him go (depth) but he wasn’t making much impact here and won’t be missed much.

Reactions: Wireless1

VN Store

Back