Tyler Baron in the portal (or not)

Withdrawing his name. Not sure how I feel about welcoming him back with open arms. I mean he obviously isn’t committed to this team so why allow him to come back?

Maybe I’m just being a d**k though.

Reactions: brockytop
I do. He's quality depth.
If the young man wants to go, then let him go. I only want to see Vols who want to stay and play. I dont care who leaves at this point, the transfer portal and NIL is destroying college football. People can celebrate it all they want but me caring about the feelings or psychology of 20 year old Defensive Ends is not in my wheel house. Vols survived with 35 players leaving last season, they can make do without Baron.

If the young man wants to go, then let him go. I only want to see Vols who want to stay and play. I dont care who leaves at this point, the transfer portal and NIL is destroying college football. People can celebrate it all they want but me caring about the feelings or psychology of 20 year old Defensive Ends is not in my wheel house. Vols survived with 35 players leaving last season, they can make do without Baron.
Oh look he decided to stay, who paid?

Reactions: 901 Orange and A.J.
Don't know the person, have NO idea if he knows what he's talking about. But when the news hit social media, someone left a comment on the article that his dad told him to stay.

Welcome back I guess.

Not sure he’ll work out long term though.

I heard on the Tony Basilio Show today that Kentucky offered him an NIL deal, and when he asked UT to match it they were unable to do so. Then apparently Kentucky was unable to follow through with their commitment. His words, not mine. I have no idea if it’s true or not.

Reactions: rev_greg
Anyone saying they question his commitment to the team and whether we should even want him is living in an alternate or decades ago past reality. Kids have options nowadays, nothing wrong with exploring it. NIL has changed everything to, can't fault them for trying to make money.

We need him in a big way, idc what he does (as long as it is legal) as long as he plays his heart out on our team.

Withdrawing his name. Not sure how I feel about welcoming him back with open arms. I mean he obviously isn’t committed to this team so why allow him to come back?

Your last sentence is correct. These guys have tough decisions to make and I don’t find what Baron did as not being committed—more like being confused.

I heard on the Tony Basilio Show today that Kentucky offered him an NIL deal, and when he asked UT to match it they were unable to do so. Then apparently Kentucky was unable to follow through with their commitment. His words, not mine. I have no idea if it’s true or not.
Lol I doubt it. If another team was gonna make the effort pull something like that I’m sure it’d be for a better player. But it’s definitely an entertaining story to get Basilio more clout though.

Offering kids NIL deals to leave a school they currently play for is shady. In the NFL they still have tampering rules. It's not right to try and poach kids off of one team like this.

Your last sentence is correct. These guys have tough decisions to make and I don’t find what Baron did as not being committed—more like being confused.
Yea, like I said, not totally sure how to feel about it. This is likely the new norm and won’t be the last time this happens either. It is what it is.

I am glad he decided to stick around though.

Just saw that on a Tennessee Facebook page

Just saw that baton has withdrew his name from the portal!!!

Don't know the person, have NO idea if he knows what he's talking about. But when the news hit social media, someone left a comment on the article that his dad told him to stay.

If that’s true (and I don’t believe it is) KY clearly had discussions with him before he went into the portal. That’s a huge no no

Really? And you know that how?

There are lots of reasons as an athlete or just a student that someone might have to transfer. I transferred. Many college students do. Sometimes it just isn't what you thought it would be. No one's fault. Your perception just didn't line up with reality. Maybe you ignored things that eventually became important. I went from a tiny HS to NCSU which at the time had the largest enrollment in NC. I wasn't prepared and was completely overwhelmed.

The answer to every question isn't "NIL".

Hmmm...Thoughts today?

VN Store

Back