‘23 TN OLB Caleb Herring (Tennessee Commit)

Elijah Herring officially signed with the Vols on Wednesday, the first day of the Early Signing Period. With his brother now preparing to start his college career as an early enrollee at Tennessee, the 6-foot-5.5, 206-pound Caleb Herring admitted that he already has started to consider the possibility of joining his brother there, although he’s still weighing his options.

“I mean, I’ve been thinking about it,” said the younger Herring, who’s ranked by 247Sports as the No. 54 overall prospect and No. 6 edge rusher in the 2023 class and the No. 1 junior from the state of Tennessee. “But I still want to make the decision that’s best for me.”

With Early Signing Day for the 2022 class now in the rearview mirror, the Vols and other teams across the country have started to turn more of their attention to the 2023 class. Herring picked up his latest offer Thursday night from Southern Cal, and he’s now being pursued by at least 17 programs, including seven SEC teams.

After attending games at Alabama, Auburn and Tennessee this season, he said he's hoping to travel to several more campuses in the coming months.
“A lot of schools, they’ve been blowing me up lately,” Herring said. “I’ve been thinking about visiting schools during the springtime, like LSU, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Florida, Florida State, Miami, Tennessee, Michigan, Auburn and USC. I want to try to see some of those schools.”

Herring attended the Vols’ home games Oct. 9 against South Carolina and Oct. 16 against Ole Miss, accompanying his brother on both visits. After also seeing Tennessee play Oct. 23 at Alabama, he said he liked what he saw from the Vols on the field during their first season under Heupel. They finished the regular season with a 7-5 record.

“This season, it showed that they really love to compete against teams that people really don’t expect them to go up against,” said Herring, who received an early offer from the Vols’ former staff in January 2020. “But I love how they just competed this year, stayed in the games.”

He’s interested in Tennessee for several reasons, including the opportunity to stay close to home and play in the SEC. But he said the thing that has impressed him most about the Vols is the way their coaches have recruited his brother, along with how Tennessee’s current players and others in the program have treated his brother.

“I just like how they’re taking care of my brother right now,” Caleb Herring said. “I like how the players are, like, being family toward him and stuff.
“But I still want to do what’s best for me and see how this goes.”

The younger Herring said he’s already planning to graduate from Riverdale a year from now and arrive at the school of his choice as an early enrollee in January 2023. He said he currently expects to decide on a college “sometime in the summer.”

“I’m going to narrow it down to three or four schools that I'll camp at in June," he said. "And then I'll make a decision after that."
-Callahan

Do you feel that way if Texas ATM shows up with a Nolan offer?

I have no insider information, but reading all of the tea leaves it seems pretty clear this recruitment is nothing like Walter Nolen's. Nolen chased the biggest bag. It seems pretty clear Herring is looking for fit and relationships.

I don't think it matters. Money isn't the top priority for everybody. This staff really does their due diligence in getting to know kids and their families, and focus on the ones of high character. Not all parents look at their kid and see $$$.

Some kids will be fooled by promises. But UT has enough fan support that guys are going to do OK if they are good enough to warrant an NIL deal either as new comers or after they've actually earned it.

The assumption is that Nolen went to the highest bidder. He denies that. My personal opinion is that he wanted promises Heupel won't give and didn't want to be coached by someone who pushes as hard as Garner.

“Tennessee has mainly been focusing on the 2022 class of late, but they are telling me once that’s wrapped up, they are coming for me hard,” Herring said of the Vols. “I do think Tennessee offers what I’m looking for in a college.”
“It’s [playing with his brother in college] something I’ve been thinking about. My parents have been talking to me about it, too. It’s cool, but I’ll have to do what is best for me in the end.”

VolQuest - With Elijah signed, Vols turning attention to Caleb Herring and 2023 (rivals.com)

Yea kids a vol minus some epic implosion over the next year.Sounda like he just wants to be courted and enjoy the process and I can't blame him.If schools feel like he's just following his brother wouldn't be much excitement.Kid might be the biggest recruit for us next cycle,I hope we don't Eff this up somehow.

Reactions: allvolrecruiting
Slightly off topic but I love that 247 is now ranking guys as an “edge” player instead of DE or OLB.

Reactions: volnut1

VN Store

Back