‘23 TN OLB Caleb Herring (Tennessee Commit)

Wiltfong CB UT
2nmnM0.gif

updated scouting report from 247

Appears to possess ideal size for position. Has the ability to add additional weight to his frame. Possesses good athleticism. Displays some position versatility off the edge as a pass rusher with the ability to drop and play off ball linebacker. Exhibits a good first step off the line of scrimmage. Shows the ability to bend the edge. Plays a little high and possesses some slight hip stiffness but overcompensates with initial quickness at the point of attack. Flashes good lateral run and chase ability with burst to close.

Versatile pass rusher that plays with good play speed and can be used in a variety of ways. Will need to continue to add bulk to his frame to improve his ability to play the run. Active defender that plays fast and will continue to develop in this area. Wins with first step and initial quickness, has athletic upside and ability to become a good starter at the next level. Adds special teams value.

The top player in the state for 2023 comes to town again with his brother and Vol commitment Elijah Herring. Tennessee is in an incredible spot for the Riverdale standout. He continues to hear from Georgia and several others, but most signs point toward orange and the moment. This weekend and others like it will help the Vols close this one out.
VQ

"I was impressed," Herring said. "Tennessee never gave up. The atmosphere was amazing."
Tennessee's defense has far exceeded the preseason lack of expectations. Tim Banks has been a miracle worker in his first season facing little to no depth and a rash of injuries.
"Ole Miss normally scores way more than 30," Herring said. "I think Tennessee stood their ground on defense. Coach Banks has really helped the programs defense and how they have turned it around."
Herring has had a front row seat the last couple of weeks but he has been watching the last couple of seasons. He's seen the strides they have made in the last several months.
"They have the team competing," Herring said. "They don't get down. They keep fighting and never give up. Coach Heupel and the rest of the staff are coaching them really well."

Coach BJ has been telling me how I would fit into their program. He checks on me as a person and how my family is doing. He wants to get me back up there again soon."
On the field, Herring has been a terror and has been wreaking havoc on opposing offenses.
"We have been doing great," Herring said. "Elijah and I have been doing great. You can see how the hard work has paid off. Me as an individual, I keep getting better and better. Every game you can see how I'm finding myself. Just getting off the ball and using my hands. I've been getting way better with that and stepping up as a leader."
VQ

“The atmosphere, it’s always what I expect it to be — like, all loud and stuff with the fans — and I can tell that the fans really care when you’re up there, because they’ll be trying to talk to the recruits and stuff and get pictures with us,” said Herring, who’s ranked by 247Sports as the No. 56 overall prospect and No. 4 edge rusher in the 2023 class.

“Something I noticed about Tennessee: It’s like they never quit. They never quit, especially last game, because they were down. They scored a couple minutes before the half, and then they went back down and scored, and they almost made a comeback in the second half.

“It would’ve been cool if (Cedric) Tillman had made that catch, too,” Herring added, referring to quarterback Joe Milton III’s incomplete pass to the end zone in the final seconds that could have lifted the Vols to a dramatic win Saturday night.

“They’re heading into a good direction,” he said. “Especially with, like, to barely have any depth, they’ve been impressive. When they get more depth, that’s when they will go into a direction to being one of the great teams.”

“This is probably, like, the best crowd right here, for sure,” he said. “The stadium was packed. It was loud. I mean, I could barely hear my brother, and he was sitting, like, right next to me and he’d be trying to talk to me.”

Herring said his mother, aunt and cousins also attended Tennessee’s game Saturday night. With his brother having been committed to the Vols for more than six months, he said his mother is “already comfortable there.”
“She’s trying to get me to go with Elijah,” the younger Herring said, “but I’m still open, though.”

“I might go for Elijah’s official visit,” the younger Herring said, referring to his brother’s scheduled official visit with the Vols the weekend of Nov. 13.
callahan

VN Store

Back