Brian Kelly to LSU

Surprised that he leaves ND after becoming the winningest coach in the program’s history but money talks.

Last edited:
Reactions: dduncan4163
Not here to defend Kelly but ND has, I think, near Ivy League academic standards. I'm sure athletes are tutored endlessly but the talent pool they draw from isn't near what Bama, Clemson, LSU, etc can draw from.

Notre Dame likes to spout this crap, but it's nonsense. Can anyone name a player that ND recruited and couldn't sign because of grades but the guy still wound up somewhere in the FBS? If the player passes the NCAA clearinghouse he's getting in.

ETA: is anyone gonna try to tell me that Manti Te'o qualified under "near Ivy League" academic standards?

Last edited:
Notre Dame likes to spout this crap, but it's nonsense. Can anyone name a player that ND recruited and couldn't sign because of grades but the guy still wound up somewhere in the FBS? If the player passes the NCAA clearinghouse he's getting in.

ETA: is anyone gonna try to tell me that Manti Te'o qualified under "near Ivy League" academic standards?
I've personally known non-athletes that got turned away with some decent scores.

It wouldn't surprise me if an amazing 40 time or 5* rating made the door open. No doubts here.

Sounds like a bad move.

Easier path to the playoffs at ND than LSU.

I actually disagree with this. I feel the biggest issue Notre Dame has is their adherence to independence. Without a conference championship, they are at a significant disadvantage, and Kelly wants a NC, and he knows if he can win the SEC at LSU he has a clearer path. This is smart. If Notre Dame had any sense they'd join ACC and start dominating that conference and stop living in the past.

Reactions: vol66
why would a HC @ ND leave to go be HC @ LSU unless he knows his gig is up at ND

read what Brice had to say. I know John from when he covered the Vols. He moved to South Bend and covered ND for a while. now with football scoop. Has a ton of sources at ND and would know what happened. Bottom line, Kelly wasn't get support needed from ND to compete. I'm sure getting 15 million per year from LSU is helpful. doubled ND salary.

Sources: Notre Dame staffers "Believe it's done" for Brian Kelly to take over at LSU

Reactions: Patmo
Kelly to LSU would be quite the grab.
Not sure though if the administration and fans there are patient enough though.

I mean they just ran a guy off that is 2 years removed from a NATIONAL title.
Kelly with all the resources and ties that ND has only sniffed the playoffs once in how many years???...not sure the Bayou folk are that patient.
They've been to the playoffs twice in the last 4 years.

10 years over $100,000,000 in the hot bed state that’s produced the most NFL players currently in the league will do it.

Look at the bright side here….a lot on here were saying LSU screwed up not securing Napier and Florida pounced on him at the right time….then LSU lands the 3rd winningest coach currently in college football behind Saban and Mack Brown. Hate to say it but Florida stunk it up if Kelly was ready for the SEC #BargainBinHire Florida is just as easy to recruit to as LSU. How hard did they really try to get a big name to compete with Smart?

And before the “they’ll beat us anyway” crowd it doesn’t change the point I’m talking about.

1638256000133.gif

... Because LSU is a BETTER Job...

That's what people aren't grasping.
This isn't 1990. LSU has won 3 National Championships since 2000.
Notre Dame??

Brian Kelly with those Louisiana, Florida, and Texas athletes is a scary thing to consider.

Reactions: SpookyAction
People act like ND is chump change and that Kelly had no resources to recruit nationally. He’s got a full roster of recruits at ND from all over the country and he’s still the Mark Richt of the mid west. Moving to the Bayou simply means he has to personally spend less time on the road recruiting and academic entry should make it easier. No excuse, let’s see where he is in 3 years.

People act like ND is chump change and that Kelly had no resources to recruit nationally. He’s got a full roster of recruits at ND from all over the country and he’s still the Mark Richt of the mid west. Moving to the Bayou simply means he has to personally spend less time on the road recruiting and academic entry should make it easier. No excuse, let’s see where he is in 3 years.
Yup

Confirmed hire. Might be a desperate move by LSU after having been caught with their pants down due to hewing and hawing over earlier options. Those saying they don't know what's going on, here's the answer. $$$$$$$MONEY$$$$$ talks.

Talk about a weird fit. No way his Yankee ass will bond with those Cajuns
Those moron fans think he is their lucky meteor….but he is not…he is a Boeing bomb….the space peanuts should give it away. Kelly to LSU will end poorly.

In Notre Dames history, 12 years is the longest any coach has stayed there... it was time for him to move..and LSU gave him the lottery
Not true. One coach was there 13. Knute Rockne. Here’s a fascinating fact. While Brian Kelly’s .739 winning percentage is very good, it is the lowest winning percentage of any coach that has been at Notre Dame 10+ years. Kudos to ND for sticking with him following that disastrous 4-8 2016. Since then they’ve won 10 or more games every year.

VN Store

Back