Brian Kelly to LSU

Maybe crazy, but Michigan has love/hate deal w/ Harbaugh...maybe diff after last week but he'd be a high profile guy for ND.

Harbaugh is giving bonus money back to the program. That guy ain’t leaving on his own free will. I always thought he’d jump at Lions or Bears job if it opened but it looks like he’s truly home and staying put. The fact Michigan tried to run him off and wanting to roll the dice on another Hoke/Rich Rod hire baffles me

Reactions: tbwhhs and njvols
He won't win a NC there, probably not even a conference title.... but he will beat us next year.

We always have a way of playing the 1st and 2nd team in the SEC-W every #(&@ing year.

Kelly to LSU would be quite the grab.
Not sure though if the administration and fans there are patient enough though.

I mean they just ran a guy off that is 2 years removed from a NATIONAL title.
Kelly with all the resources and ties that ND has only sniffed the playoffs once in how many years???...not sure the Bayou folk are that patient.
Don't rush dat gumbo, mon ami!

I still find this hard to believe. What kind of money is LSU throwing out there.

If they were going to pay Ed O 16 million not to coach after winning a natty, why is this hard to believe? They would look like morons if they fired Ed O only to have a horrible hire because their top targets said no..... This sorta resembles when Arkansas went out one day and snatch Bielema from Wisconsin that no one saw coming.... Granted Bielema had gone to several Rose Bowls and what not, he still wasn't the same caliber coach at the time that Kelly is now.

I think Brian Kelly is a good coach but does he have the ability to put forth a good enough offense to compete in the SEC on a weekly basis? I don't think anyone knows the answer to that and if you gamble with that much money it puts you in a real bind if he is just mediocre. Remember, they fired Orgeron two years removed from a NC. They also fired Miles who won one NC and played in another. The fewest games he won in any season was 8. I don't know that Brian Kelly is anything more than a Les Miles but maybe that is what they were looking for, long term stability but those fans tend to get restless after a couple "mediocre" seasons.

He hit his ceiling at ND, won like one game against a top 10 team (last year, Clemson without Lawrence), got waterboarded in every other big game, never even came close. Has a reputation as a less than energetic recruiter.

I give him credit, he pulled a fast one here. Four years tops, three if he lives up to his big game history.

It sounds like LSU is going to be locked in longer than 3-4 years. This one could get real bad. Decent coach and would have been a good hire 10 years ago.

I think Brian Kelly is a good coach but does he have the ability to put forth a good enough offense to compete in the SEC on a weekly basis? I don't think anyone knows the answer to that and if you gamble with that much money it puts you in a real bind if he is just mediocre. Remember, they fired Orgeron two years removed from a NC. They also fired Miles who won one NC and played in another. The fewest games he won in any season was 8. I don't know that Brian Kelly is anything more than a Les Miles but maybe that is what they were looking for, long term stability but those fans tend to get restless after a couple "mediocre" seasons.

At the time of the hire, Kelly is prolly the best resume hire that LSU has made this century.... He clearly can coach and has gone to a natty and playoff multiple times. The reason why he isn't a natty winning coach is due to the fact his horses can't keep up with the horses of his opponent. If he can even halfway recruit, his system will flourish at LSU.

At the time of the hire, Kelly is prolly the best resume hire that LSU has made this century.... He clearly can coach and has gone to a natty and playoff multiple times. The reason why he isn't a natty winning coach is due to the fact his horses can't keep up with the horses of his opponent. If he can even halfway recruit, his system will flourish at LSU.

Notre Dame has never suffered in recruiting and has a massive football budget. They are a perennial top 10 team in recruiting, very little difference between them and LSU recruiting wise over the last 5-10 years or so. Notre Dame was in the playoff because they have the benefit of playing a handpicked schedule with a built in advantage in the playoff format with no conference alignment. He won't have those advantages at LSU.

Notre Dame has never suffered in recruiting and has a massive football budget. They are a perennial top 10 team in recruiting, very little difference between them and LSU recruiting wise over the last 5-10 years or so. Notre Dame was in the playoff because they have the benefit of playing a handpicked schedule with a built in advantage in the playoff format with no conference alignment. He won't have those advantages at LSU.

The talent he gets at Notre Dame is simply not enough to compete against the likes of Bama, Ohio State, Clemson, and other traditional playoff contenders. He has gotten his butt handed to him in virtually every playoff / BCS game he has coached in. If he can recruit at LSU like they traditionally do, his system will work.

VN Store

Back