Brian Kelly to LSU

Hey guys. I am a long-time LSU fan and Baton Rouge native relocating to Knoxville in early 2022. I registered at Volnation a few days ago and thought this would be a good time for a first post! Really happy about the LSU hire. It's still hard to believe for many of us that LSU can pull this sort of thing off. Glad it has been confirmed this morning. Anyway, I'll be following the Vols as my second favorite team. Can't wait to be in Knoxville enjoying all the city and state have to offer!!
Welcome , careful Big Orange fever is highly contagious!

Hey guys. I am a long-time LSU fan and Baton Rouge native relocating to Knoxville in early 2022. I registered at Volnation a few days ago and thought this would be a good time for a first post! Really happy about the LSU hire. It's still hard to believe for many of us that LSU can pull this sort of thing off. Glad it has been confirmed this morning. Anyway, I'll be following the Vols as my second favorite team. Can't wait to be in Knoxville enjoying all the city and state have to offer!!

Welcome to Big Orange Country. Hope you enjoy it...

Les fit in just fine, I mean cultural his wackiness helped him fit in. Saban is just a shark, it doesn't really matter much. Kelly makes Saban seem like a fun party guy though.

Kelly is the one that is going to explode when the pressure comes, none of those guys were going to explode.
That’s kind of what I meant. He’s been in South Bend for a long time, longer than any coach in Notre Dame history. He’s used to the players being a certain way, the boosters, the schedule etc… I think it’s gonna take a little bit for him to settle in. Maybe I’m wrong .

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Are you unhappy with the hire?

Hm. I don't like the question because of some other reasons. I don't think it will work out for any of the parties involved, other than Kelly's cash receipts.

As I saw someone else post, its like hiring Lou Holtz after he started receiving Medicare. He's a solid coach, I've known about him for well over 25 years i.e. Grand Valley State connections. Wrong situation, wrong place, and wrong money - in my opinion.

Good coach, sure, great coach maybe... but its probably the funkiest (not in a good way) hire in college football history.

Next, Kiffin to ND. :p (that wouldn't make sense either)

I have no idea why anyone would choose a dinosaur for a major rebuild. <--- let alone a very unloving type of guy

Kelly to LSU would be quite the grab.
Not sure though if the administration and fans there are patient enough though.

I mean they just ran a guy off that is 2 years removed from a NATIONAL title.
Kelly with all the resources and ties that ND has only sniffed the playoffs once in how many years???...not sure the Bayou folk are that patient.

Lsu wanted someone with no Baggage. Bryan Kelly fits that bill. Good Coach, but at lsu? We may actually see some discipline in Baton Rouge!

Lsu wanted someone with no Baggage. Bryan Kelly fits that bill. Good Coach, but at lsu? We may actually see some discipline in Baton Rouge!

"Discipline". Yeah the first thing he is going to do is try and get the administration to get rid of the rules so players will be able to play.

Notre Dame is not going to pay the money that LSU is offering I'm sure. Kelly probably thinks it's his "retirement package." Doesn't matter if he's fired....he'll walk away with millions.
They're also never going to attract the number of high caliber of athletes that LSU can attract due to their high academic standards and...let's face it...who the hell wants to live South Bend Indiana?

Notre Dame will never be what it once was. It's a highly prestigious school and their football program wins a lot of games but they will never win a natty ever again. Kelly knows this so he's going somewhere where he can recruit the athletes he knows he has to get to win a championship. I guarantee you this has very little to do with money.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnWardForever
Kelly to LSU would be quite the grab.
Not sure though if the administration and fans there are patient enough though.

I mean they just ran a guy off that is 2 years removed from a NATIONAL title.
Kelly with all the resources and ties that ND has only sniffed the playoffs once in how many years???...not sure the Bayou folk are that patient.
Coach O leaving was self-inflicted for the most part.

Well, hearing he left in a bad way. He told the team over an online meeting after the news broke, and then asked them to show up at the crack of dawn to tell them.

also,

Reactions: tntar heel
Coach O leaving was self-inflicted for the most part.

The LSU administration wanted the cookie monster to fail, its fairly easy to make that happen.

I thought the cookie monster was the right hire at the time, still think that. I think LSU is the wrong school for everyone, its not a good place anymore.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc

Sorry, unacceptable, you must renounce your allegiance to LSU, ask for forgiveness for years of transgressions, and make a vow of death if you ever make a post not supportive of anything ORANGE. You know, just standard board protocol.

I think most coaches realize there’s no better place to build a dynasty than LSU. Fertile recruiting grounds. No in-state competition for recruits. Passionate fanbase. Great home field advantage. Plenty of money. Glad you guys aren’t in the East. This hire doesn’t surprise me at all... actually thought you’d go BIGGER but BK will win

Being the head coach at LSU is like figuratively riding the tiger. Having spent some time in New Orleans and Baton Rouge, that state is full of passionate people. Always up for "it," whatever "it" is. I can't begin to count the number of stories I have. Super friendly, super crazy, but close to insufferable when they're drunk and LSU is riding high. Experts at riding the line of legality in all things. Put differently - Walter White famously said that he "was the danger." Well Louisiana is the guy next to the danger pounding beers and hollerin' to take the fight out into the Wal-Mart parking lot so everyone can see.

I say all this to explain that I think the right personality can ride that crazy-ass tiger to great effect. It's the college football equivalent of Mr. Bones Wild Ride. But the coach has to have the stomach for all that goofy Cajun stuff. Your prototypical example of that characteristic is Les Miles. The man ate grass, he fit in great. Mike could get loose from his cage and Les would have said "gimme a steak, I'll go get him." I'm not sure Brian Kelly fits in as well. I'm not sure he can ride the tiger. He'll be okay as long as he wins the games, but if he should suffer setbacks - Lord help him, he better stay away from the swamps.

Reactions: mercuryvol
Winning isn't the requirement, Les would still be the coach if all it took was winning. This is a major rebuild unlike the last couple of time.
Y’all had the 3rd ranked recruiting class in the country last year. Surely the cupboards aren’t THAT bare.

Y’all had the 3rd ranked recruiting class in the country last year. Surely the cupboards aren’t THAT bare.

Well, how many walk-ons did you see playing and starting against Texas A&M? Quite a lot. LSU couldn't even inter-scrimmage by the middle of the season.

LSU has some excellent players, a good portion will now bolt to the NFL, transfer, or even ones like Boutte might just sit out 2022.

I would expect double digit transfers out at least.

LSU unable to hold practice or Tiger Bowl due to injury list

Players can just sit now, or sit whole seasons. Its the first major rebuild in 20+ years.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back