Brian Kelly to LSU

Would anyone really be upset at Heupel making 10 million a year if he got us into a playoff with 3-4 years of taking the job? I know I wouldn’t….. just like I had no problem with us paying Barnes to keep him at Tennessee.

Rick Barnes had gotten UT into the sweet 16, and won a portion of the conference championship at that point.

If true, Notre Dame is signing it's death sentence.

No conference. Administrative restrictions. And not willing to join the facilities arms race.

Good luck with that. And good luck trying to hire a coach too.
This will be out of left field. But I think they should look at Kyle Whittingham at Utah. He has been a good coach who has kept his nose clean. Now maybe he is comfortable being where he is at. But with what Notre Dame could pay him he coaches a good brand of football and with less athletes because its Utah.

I honestly would rather have Napier. I respect Kelly and he's proven so don't misunderstand.

But, I think the man and the state don't fit and the age doesn't work for me either.

Agree. It wins the press conference, but Kelly doesn’t know what he’s in for the first time he loses to a team he shouldn’t.

Rick Barnes had gotten UT into the sweet 16, and won a portion of the conference championship at that point.

Sure. But we overpaid to keep the status quo over saving money and rolling the dice on a new coach we wouldn’t know if it works out. Over paying to keep what you have is worth more than risking a change. Barnes’ resumè here outside of player development has been lackluster. Especially with the two years we had Admiral and Grant. Didn’t really have anything to show for it hardware wise. However, I know Barnes is never likely to challenge for a final four or Natty at Tennessee. But i feel everyone is confident we are safe to make the tourney consistently.

This will be out of left field. But I think they should look at Kyle Whittingham at Utah. He has been a good coach who has kept his nose clean. Now maybe he is comfortable being where he is at. But with what Notre Dame could pay him he coaches a good brand of football and with less athletes because its Utah.

He was someone I wanted when we fired Butch and when we fired Pruitt.

Reactions: DeepSpringsVol
Reactions: kcvols1 and BigDave
Agree. It wins the press conference, but Kelly doesn’t know what he’s in for the first time he loses to a team he shouldn’t.

People may laugh at this part of it too. It's going to be hard to replace Coach O. They absolutely love him. They don't want him to be their football coach anymore, but they love HIM. He has a real connection to that state (duh) and the people in it.

And i wouldn't want to follow that.

One of the things that tells me that things were really, really going poorly at Florida with Mullen is not a damn soul was upset about his dismissal. Not anyone in the athletic department, the players, the fan base. At best, he got a shoulder shrug from a few people. When you die, you hope at least a few people show up to the funeral.

Sure. But we overpaid to keep the status quo over saving money and rolling the dice on a new coach we wouldn’t know if it works out. Over paying to keep what you have is worth more than risking a change. Barnes’ resumè here outside of player development has been lackluster. Especially with the two years we had Admiral and Grant. Didn’t really have anything to show for it hardware wise. However, I know Barnes is never likely to challenge for a final four or Natty at Tennessee. But i feel everyone is confident we are safe to make the tourney consistently.

And yet Barnes actually had some accomplishments at UT to negotiate with at the time. So regardless of whether you believe UT overpaid for him, those accomplishments allowed him to negotiate.

What does Heupel have at the moment? Or does UT just make the standard operating procedure to give him a raise and extension every time there's a P5 HC position open because of "reasons"?

Reactions: JVol76V2
And yet Barnes actually had some accomplishments at UT to negotiate with at the time. So regardless of whether you believe UT overpaid for him, those accomplishments allowed him to negotiate.

What does Heupel have at the moment? Or does UT just make the standard operating procedure to give him a raise and extension every time there's a P5 HC position open because of "reasons"?

Heupel has a lot of ground to force a negotiation if all hell breaks loose in Norman. Much of it could be fear and PTSD preemptively from January 2010 but he could easily cause Tennessee heartburn….. Tennessee made major strides in his first year. Overpaying to keep him here and ensuring he ain’t talking to no one regardless of how their search is going is more than worth it. Tennessee couldn’t withstand losing another coach after 1-2 years here. What I would not do is increase his buyout at all if we were to fire him. I’m all for giving him more money per year but I wouldn’t change buyout that puts us on the hook longer term. That’s the easy fix.

People may laugh at this part of it too. It's going to be hard to replace Coach O. They absolutely love him. They don't want him to be their football coach anymore, but they love HIM. He has a real connection to that state (duh) and the people in it.

And i wouldn't want to follow that.

One of the things that tells me that things were really, really going poorly at Florida with Mullen is not a damn soul was upset about his dismissal. Not anyone in the athletic department, the players, the fan base. At best, he got a shoulder shrug from a few people. When you die, you hope at least a few people show up to the funeral.

Agree with all of that. Kelly seems like the kind of guy that will blame fans for unrealistic expectations when the wheels will eventually come off.

VN Store

Back