Brian Kelly to LSU

Going 4-4 in th SEC east isn't "extraordinary progress", and it isn't going to land Heupel a job offer from OU or ND following the likes of Lincoln Riley and Brian Kelly.

It also doesn't warrant UT giving Heupel a raise or a change in terms on a 6-year contract with 5 years left on it.

You have to realize that OU and now ND are late to the game with available jobs. More so OU is likely to swing for fences on big names and get turned down. Heupel should NOT be on the short list for the OU job…. However if people start saying no and he was willing, he could easily wind up there. He has a top national offense with a piece meal roster in one year. Since OU shouldn’t rock the boat and hire a totally new philosophical coaching staff, he would be a good hire for them. He’d basically be taking over a much deeper and talented roster that’s built around the offense.

While OU should be able to land a top tier coach, Heupel should definitely be on their shortlist in the event their top guys say no and sh!t starts to get crazy. The only way he would ever wind up there is if it went the way USC and Kiffin did. Kiffin wasn’t even in their top 5-8 choices. That’s how wild it got.

This is 2018. The most recent one I saw Notre Dame was Top 4. Anyway, still don’t believe that LSU is that much more capable of paying a football coach if at all than Notre Dame is
That's in "Total Value." Kelly won the lotto with the LSU move.

Would anyone really be upset at Heupel making 10 million a year if he got us into a playoff with 3-4 years of taking the job? I know I wouldn’t….. just like I had no problem with us paying Barnes to keep him at Tennessee.
Probably both of those will or would be questionable expenditures.

So Kelly was making less than 2 million at ND? There has to be some undisclosed booster money somewhere. If that's all he was making he's going to triple his salary or more at LSU. I'd leave too.

his total package at ND was around 7 million per media reports. ND being private does not disclose salaries but media have ways to get the info.. I bet he is getting at least 12 per year at LSU

Kind of a punk move, imo. His team gonna be gathered round the TV watching the playoff selection, and they ain’t even gonna have their head coach with em.

I don't have strong feelings on the coaching wars anymore, but I suspect Kelly had seen indications that his seat in South Bend was getting warm. Their fans were getting restless and I'm sure people higher in the pecking order were too. Kelly probably said, "I can get paid a small fortune, have access to more talent, and take one last shot at winning a championship or two."

This sport is turning into a bloodfest with newly printed money sloshing around and completely resetting the incentives that drive even our pastimes. It only gets crazier from here.

Last edited:
You think LSU has more money than Notre Dame?
Let's get one thing straight, I detest ND and the whole overrated bunch of hypocrites. However, because ND CAN outspend anyone, outside the Texas schools, doesn't mean they will. Their epiphany after the Lou Holtz departure holds true to this day. They believe college athletics is out of control and they alone can provide a beacon to the great unwashed. Pissing away an insane amt. of $$$ for Charlie the failure and Whittingham probably firmed up attitudes somewhat. As the NCAA landscape stands today, remaining independent gives them a cushion to the pressure the Power 5 schools are imposing on themselves.

Yeah. I mean LSU definitely wins the hiring battle in the media as far them and Florida. I still just don’t know that this is a good fit for them. Kelly is in for some culture shock.

I honestly would rather have Napier. I respect Kelly and he's proven so don't misunderstand.

But, I think the man and the state don't fit and the age doesn't work for me either.

I honestly would rather have Napier. I respect Kelly and he's proven so don't misunderstand.

But, I think the man and the state don't fit and the age doesn't work for me either.
We’re on the same page here. Napier had upside, could be a huge bust but I imagine he will leave a more talented roster even if he doesn’t work out.

his total package at ND was around 7 million per media reports. ND being private does not disclose salaries but media have ways to get the info.. I bet he is getting at least 12 per year at LSU
No way he's getting more than Saban with no hardware to prove he's worth it

I haven’t seen, read or heard anything yet.

However if ND were to land Fickell……..I think they would have won the coaching carousel lottery (just my opinion).

I mean……USC got the best coach from the bunch……..but it cost them a medium sized town…….If ND lands Fickell, to me he’s probably the second best “get” of the season…….and probably won’t cost much more than an expensive house.

Who knows……….but ND should be all over that guy and even let him play it out if he wants.

Saban was from Michigan state and won a natty.

Les miles was from Oklahoma state and won a natty.

Not sure why people are hung up on where BK is from. He’s been one of the winningest coaches in football over the last 10 years and more than likely will do well at LSU.

Reactions: bpalmer28 and vol66
Lol

He’ll find out real quick the schedules are wayyyyyyyy different.

No more playing only 1 team which finishes ranked………and even losing that game…..and have any chance whatsoever to make the playoffs.

Yea, but he’s gonna be able to sign better talent. We’ll see how he does…maybe he can beat Bama.

Let's get one thing straight, I detest ND and the whole overrated bunch of hypocrites. However, because ND CAN outspend anyone, outside the Texas schools, doesn't mean they will. Their epiphany after the Lou Holtz departure holds true to this day. They believe college athletics is out of control and they alone can provide a beacon to the great unwashed. Pissing away an insane amt. of $$$ for Charlie the failure and Whittingham probably firmed up attitudes somewhat. As the NCAA landscape stands today, remaining independent gives them a cushion to the pressure the Power 5 schools are imposing on themselves.
I obviously don’t know what offers were on the table. I’m just saying I don’t believe LSU has more money than Notre Dame. What they’re willing to spend on someone like Brian Kelly is a different matter. Maybe they think they’ll do just as well at a lower cost w Fickell.

Yea, but he’s gonna be able to sign better talent. We’ll see how he does…maybe he can beat Bama.

I think he’ll do just fine……..however I highly doubt he will continue to go 12-1, 10-2, 11-2…..most every year now.

He could have been the coach for life at ND…….while being comfortable and most of his top foe’s are down and have been.

At LSU they’ll fire you even if you win a NC if you struggle a couple years………..and I certainly don’t see LSU being Alabama and being great every single year.

Reactions: kcvols1
I saw a report that he’s getting 10 years and north of $100 million with incentives

I don't have strong feelings on the coaching wars anymore, but I suspect Kelly had seen indications that his seat in South Bend was getting warm. Their fans were getting restless and I'm sure people higher in the pecking order were too. Kelly probably said, "I can get paid a small fortune, have access to more talent, and take one last shot at winning a championship or two."

This sport is turning into a bloodfest with newly printed money sloshing around and completely resetting the incentives that drive even our pastimes. It only gets crazier from here.

He’s older and there is a clear up and comer in Fickell who will undoubtedly be coaching a big program in a short time. ND prolly wanted to ensure they have a shot at him while not having a drop off in current production. Kelly leaving on his own solves that equation.

VN Store

Back