WNML

I was actually told by someone in the AD that it wasn't so much his physical ability as it was his ability to learn the playbook. It was presented like he is basically incapable of "getting it," and it shouldn't be that hard. I believe the quote was, "the light is just not going on with this kid."
For the record, this was told to me about a month ago.
This is the most likely reason he hasn’t played.
His HS numbers showed he has some skills and Heupels past QB’s show the he doesn’t fit in the offense is highly overrated

I'm so done with them it's not funny. Every show has torn down HB for hitting the TP. Ainge is the biggest disappointment of all because he sang praises after the spring game and then tears the kid down. Talks about arm strength, calls him dumb and can't run this offense. Ainge isn't the expert he thinks he is and Eric Cain couldn't evaluate a QB if he even tried. Ainge himself said HB had the best spring and was high on him but he does a 180 and basically calls him trash? Funny how his arm strength was fine in spring and now he doesn't have any? I love hooker as our starting QB, love him but would take HB over Milton any day even if he can't run.

While Ainge was a great QB at UT, how dare him say a sophomore isn't fit to run an offense when he played as a freshman and made freshman mistakes but HB never knocked himself out by running into a goal post vs LSU or lost a SEC Championship game with a stupid INT,. I'm just sick of how WNML is attacking this kid. SICK. Flame away and I'll listen to TB from now on. Done with the animal and Ainge.

I live here in Georgia and I listen to 99.1 on my phone all day! Wouldn't have it any other way! GBO!

Mr Bailey? really? You wanna go that route?

This kid was never given a chance. In his 7 games he played in and only started 3 threw for over 573 yards. Put this kid behind the 1st team OL and lets see what he does but it never happened. He played mop up. This kid could have left early but chose to stay and was never given a chance and anyone who talks about his arm strength is nuts. The kid showed fortitude to be a big time qb in the O&W game and Ainge went on and on about him but then trashed him out this week. Done with sports animal and Ainge is a liar plain and simple.Loved him as a QB at UT but done with the show.

Ainge hasnt trashed him...he just wasnt in cult.

He did say that HB may not have the mental fortitude to be a big time qb if he is blocking radio personalities on social media. EAs take is that shows he isnt focused enough on being a qb.

He did say that HB may not have the mental fortitude to be a big time qb if he is blocking radio personalities on social media. EAs take is that shows he isnt focused enough on being a qb.

Blocking media members on his twitter account doesn't show he's not focused on being a QB, it shows he's tired of the stuff he's getting on social media. Frankly if I was a FBC for college I would ban all players from social media but hey that's just me. Nothing good ever comes out of it.

If you just watched the three QBs in pre game warmups, there was a noticeable difference in arm strength. Bailey was unable to unseat JG last year and this year, he was clearly outclassed by Hooker.

Ainge is very good at analyzing football, especially QB play. He learned under David Cutcliffe and has actually played the position at a high level. I enjoy his breakdown of players, practices, and games. Having been a player, he also understands the pressures of being a Vol football player. During football season, his show is the best one on the Knoxville airwaves, in spite of his co-host.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
I
I'm willing to wager he never becomes anything close to what you think he will become. The kid quit in the middle of the year dude. I guess you think it's okay to quit. Quitting has never been acceptable. When **** gets tough, you gotta get better. Period.
I agree hitting the transfer portal mid season isn't cool, but if I were him and had possible millions of dollars at stake I'd probably do what I thought was best and not look at it thru a team perspective. I also believe he was never given a fair shot here. Heupel probably guaranteed Milton the job to get him to transfer here. And he got hooker also so he is gonna lean toward them

I

I agree hitting the transfer portal mid season isn't cool, but if I were him and had possible millions of dollars at stake I'd probably do what I thought was best and not look at it thru a team perspective. I also believe he was never given a fair shot here. Heupel probably guaranteed Milton the job to get him to transfer here. And he got hooker also so he is gonna lean toward them
You have a fair shot in practice all spring, summer, and during the regular season. He didn't cut it.

Ainge literally said the other day that Bailey could still be an all American one day. He just doesn't fit in this offense and isn't ready.

And he did all of that in the O&W game against NOBODY.

Hes too slow. He runs too slow. He operates the offense too slow. His mechanics when throwing are too slow.

Ainge is more so responding to the people like you who are HB sycophants blabbering on and on and on about a third string QB all year just because he was a 5 star, completed a bunch of checkdowns last year and lit up a bunch of walk on DB's in the spring game.

Take up for Ainge if you want but HB played against the same Defense other teams see and lit them up. Now not mobile is a mute point but tear down the kid and trash him Ii he wants to enter the TP so be it. Was it the right time? No! Should have been done when BM left or when they got Milton. Plain and simple this kid never stood a chance in CJH system and I get that but don;t lead the kid on thinking he can play here. While I love the staff the way they have handled HB leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth, sorry but it does, I hope the kid transfers to a team UT plays and he shows out. Not beat us but shows out.. He was a true 4 star not a 5 as some have alluded to but a true 4 star and the kid has talent but for the media to rip him the way they are is uncalled for. Ainge is the worst, He goes from singing praises after the spring game to trashing him when he leaves. I don't get it.

Take up for Ainge if you want but HB played against the same Defense other teams see and lit them up. Now not mobile is a mute point but tear down the kid and trash him Ii he wants to enter the TP so be it. Was it the right time? No! Should have been done when BM left or when they got Milton. Plain and simple this kid never stood a chance in CJH system and I get that but don;t lead the kid on thinking he can play here. While I love the staff the way they have handled HB leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth, sorry but it does, I hope the kid transfers to a team UT plays and he shows out. Not beat us but shows out.. He was a true 4 star not a 5 as some have alluded to but a true 4 star and the kid has talent but for the media to rip him the way they are is uncalled for. Ainge is the worst, He goes from singing praises after the spring game to trashing him when he leaves. I don't get it.

He will not show out.

Ainge has trashed him the most. I heard the show. Hit the podcast and listen,,,,,,, it's there. I heard it real time and after listening to him singing accolades for the kid after the spring don't back peddle and call him trash which he insinuated Every show on WNML has torn this kid down and I have no doubt why he blocked them on his social media,.

Ainge has trashed him the most. I heard the show. Hit the podcast and listen,,,,,,, it's there. I heard it real time and after listening to him singing accolades for the kid after the spring don't back peddle and call him trash which he insinuated Every show on WNML has torn this kid down and I have no doubt why he blocked them on his social media,.
Ainge's criticism was completely warranted and fair. You can't see it because you wanted Bailey to be something he's not.

Reactions: Backwards K
Bailey did not play against the same defense at all! He played against the third string defense in the spring game.

Ainge didn't trash him because he went to the portal. They discussed whether it was the right thing to do when there's still four games left.

He did question where his head is at since Bailey got butthurt enough to block everyone on the sports animal and rightfully so.

If you're getting so bent out of shape about stuff some radio guys are saying about you and you wanna be an SEC QB, then you need to get real. That tells me he's Charmin SOFT.

Block them for what? Saying that he wasn't ready? That he wasn't processing the offense at the level Hooker and Milton were because he's a sophomore. That's completely reasonable. How is that not reasonable? And it's true! We saw him play Tenn Tech. He's just not ready. He doesn't fit the offense. Maybe in a couple years he could do it, but there are other reports he just doesn't understand the offense yet too.

Bailey did not play against the same defense at all! He played against the third string defense in the spring game.

Ainge didn't trash him because he went to the portal. They discussed whether it was the right thing to do when there's still four games left.

He did question where his head is at since Bailey got butthurt enough to block everyone on the sports animal and rightfully so.

If you're getting so bent out of shape about stuff some radio guys are saying about you and you wanna be an SEC QB, then you need to get real. That tells me he's Charmin SOFT.

Block them for what? Saying that he wasn't ready? That he wasn't processing the offense at the level Hooker and Milton were because he's a sophomore. That's completely reasonable. How is that not reasonable? And it's true! We saw him play Tenn Tech. He's just not ready. He doesn't fit the offense. Maybe in a couple years he could do it, but there are other reports he just doesn't understand the offense yet too.

You made my point. You're a 20-21 year old kid, and you have the media trashing you, what would you do? The fan base has been screaming for this kid to get playing time but he doesn't fit the system. Sorry he doesn't but to tear the kid down? After the spring game the media was so high on this kid and then tossed him away to a player that made a bone headed play to run out of bounds. I just hope this kid winds up at any school we don;t have to play. I'm serious about this. How does the press say he has super arm strength to his is weak armed? WATCH the O&W game. The kids deep balls were time and time again on point and to say he has a slow release is stupid which eric cain and ainge allude to. Erik Ainge played behind a great OL and for him to tear this kid down when he never played behind the 1st team OL is nuts. It's easy to tear someone down but I understand blocking those that trash the kid on social media. I'm glad he did. Ainge should be blocked as should others that spokel well of him after spring and then basically call him trash now.

OFF MY SOAP BOX.

Last edited:
I know I started this topic but I stand down because I'll never be able to prove my point so I regress.

While Ainge was a great QB at UT, how dare him say a sophomore isn't fit to run an offense when he played as a freshman and made freshman mistakes but HB never knocked himself out by running into a goal post vs LSU or lost a SEC Championship game with a stupid INT,. I'm just sick of how WNML is attacking this kid. SICK. Flame away and I'll listen to TB from now on. Done with the animal and Ainge.
It may have already been mentioned, but my biggest disagreement with your post is saying Ainge was a great quarterback. Good maybe, but not great. I still remember the fumble and pick six (from the endzone when he just flung the ball) in the 2005 LSU game, and the pick 6 (when we were nursing a 1 point lead) in the 2007 SEC Championship game against LSU.

Reactions: UT_Dutchman
It may have already been mentioned, but my biggest disagreement with your post is saying Ainge was a great quarterback. Good maybe, but not great. I still remember the fumble and pick six (from the endzone when he just flung the ball) in the 2005 LSU game, and the pick 6 (when we were nursing a 1 point lead) in the 2007 SEC Championship game against LSU.

Say what you want but Ainge was a great QB at UT, Did he have misques? Yes, but so have all the greats at UT. Let's don't even get into Peyton's problems with UF. While I don't agree with his take on HB I won't trash his play at UT and neither should you. He played here we didn't. Enough said.

Reactions: davethevol
I admit to knowing nothing about running a football program. I would not know where to start. But I do not see the logic in letting Bailey walk and having MAYBE Hooker, a walk on, and a true freshman for a quarterback room next year in exchange for letting Joe Milton be my backup for the remainder of this season. I don’t care how bad Bailey has been in practice, Milton has proven at every turn that he cannot play at this level. We have seen Bailey play in actual games, and he did not perform nearly as bad as Milton. I don’t know what the backstory is behind the scenes, but this seems like an impressively stupid set of choices that makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Reactions: VolunteerNut
I admit to knowing nothing about running a football program. I would not know where to start. But I do not see the logic in letting Bailey walk and having MAYBE Hooker, a walk on, and a true freshman for a quarterback room next year in exchange for letting Joe Milton be my backup for the remainder of this season. I don’t care how bad Bailey has been in practice, Milton has proven at every turn that he cannot play at this level. We have seen Bailey play in actual games, and he did not perform nearly as bad as Milton. I don’t know what the backstory is behind the scenes, but this seems like an impressively stupid set of choices that makes no sense to me whatsoever.

I agree! But Hooker was not a walk.on or maybe I misread your post, if so sorry!

Mr Bailey? really? You wanna go that route?

This kid was never given a chance. In his 7 games he played in and only started 3 threw for over 573 yards. Put this kid behind the 1st team OL and lets see what he does but it never happened. He played mop up. This kid could have left early but chose to stay and was never given a chance and anyone who talks about his arm strength is nuts. The kid showed in in the O&W game and Ainge went on and on about him but then trashed him out this week. Done with sports animal and Ainge is a liar plain and simple.Loved him as a QB at UT but done with the show.

“Never given a chance“ is just not true. He was given the vast majority of reps with the ones in spring practice. Despite that, he was still not the number one quarterback coming out of the spring. In fact, he was well behind Hooker.

The Orange and White game is one practice that is open to the public. It’s not the grand summation of everything that happened in spring practice.

He then received a fair amount of reps with the ones in fall camp and was the “starter” for one of the scrimmages in camp. After receiving those opportunities, the coaches evaluated him and had him behind Milton and Hooker.

I listen to the podcadt every day..

Just because he said he was thrid string and not ready yet does not equal trashing.

If some of yall would step back and look at how youre reacting now...you would stop. HB may be good eventually somewhere and maybe could gave been here but at this point in time he is the 3rd string qb. Its a little bit cringy the way some of you are literally heartbroken right now.

Yall are more upset by him leaving than by our loss to Bama.

Most of the media, including EA, seemed more concerned that he blocked them on Twitter. SMDH

What Erik (and I) said about him blocking people on Twitter was that it was indicative of someone that is spending time focusing on things that will hinder his ability to become a successful college quarterback. If you're worried about people saying mean things about you on Twitter, then you're not going to be successful at much. Its not personal, I couldn't possibly care less if a player blocks me. But I think it clearly shows that a person is focused on the wrong things. Josh Dobbs did the same thing to a bunch of media members and fans back when I worked at UT and he and I had a long conversation about the difference between eliminating negative "energy vampires," as the Jon Gordon nonsense we all had to read talked about, and wasting energy worrying about the wrong things.

After listening tonAing’s show today, I was very disappointed in his discussion about Bailey. he belittled him at every opportunity and, as you mentioned, that he was not very smart, could not read defenses, could not learn run etc. He usually doesn’t insult players on the air and I wondered if he is having some problems. I have been a big fan of Eric, but was disappointed with what I heard from him today.

It's not belittling a player to give the honest analysis that has been gained from watching him in practice (which Erik can do and most of the rest of us cannot) and from talking to coaches and those around the program. It's also not insulting to point out deficiencies in his game. It's literally what Erik is paid to do.

The bottom line with Harrison Bailey was very simple. He didn't learn and understand the offense well enough to be trusted to execute it in games. It wasn't about his mobility, Heupel has won with drop back passers before in this system, it was about his knowledge of the offense. He could not execute the offense in team periods in practice, so the coaches had little confidence that he could execute it in games. I don't know how it's insulting a kid to say that. People wanted to know why he was third string. That's why. Holding that back is not being honest with our audience.

If you just watched the three QBs in pre game warmups, there was a noticeable difference in arm strength. Bailey was unable to unseat JG last year and this year, he was clearly outclassed by Hooker.

Ainge is very good at analyzing football, especially QB play. He learned under David Cutcliffe and has actually played the position at a high level. I enjoy his breakdown of players, practices, and games. Having been a player, he also understands the pressures of being a Vol football player. During football season, his show is the best one on the Knoxville airwaves, in spite of his co-host.

Ouch.

VN Store

Back