'21 Recruiting Forum: Official Ole Miss Pregame/Game Thread

I still don't understand the ruling on that.

So, If the QB just stands there and does nothing, he is giving himself up and the play is dead, whistle or no whistle?

Who knows, man? I’ve never seen that before - ever. Add it to the long list of referee cock-ups that happen in Vol games that are unprecedented.

Just being honest, I am bought in on this staff. In a big way. Tonight pushed me over the edge I'd been teetering on. Sure, mistakes were made, but we were in that game, the whole game, and truthfully, we should have won, would have won IMO but for the refs. And we did it missing our best 2 OL and our best RB and one of our best DL. Ole Miss is not a slouch team, and we fought all game despite missing some key players. I am all the way in. I think we hired the right guy, and I think he hired the right guys for his staff.
The right guy had Joe Milton starting the year at Qb. He’s probably just a little better than the last couple

I still don't understand the ruling on that.

So, If the QB just stands there and does nothing, he is giving himself up and the play is dead, whistle or no whistle?

No. If that play happens in a victory formation situation it's a TD for us and should have been there. We got penalized for the stadium being so loud that Corral got confused. The refs didn't say they blew the play dead because they didnt. They came up with a BS excuse on the spot about forward progress...he had no forward progress! He got confused, stopped and got stripped while being sacked.

Does anybody think that call would have been made in our favor?

We didn't play our best game yesterday. However, we played well enough on D that it shouldn't have been in question. Our offense was not operating at the level it should have been. Even with that though, the refs cost us this game with the scoop and score reversal and then again with the very obvious fist down that they didn't give us. Those refs should be ashamed that they let those two calls happen. That game should never have been that close but it was and the refs inserted themselves at two crucial points in the game and dictated the end result. Refs should never decide the outcome of a game but they did.

I am happy that our team fought all the way to the end but was disappointed with the last play. You have to at least heave the ball to the end zone and hope for the best. Running the ball was not the answer.

Since 2019, I've put an abnormal amount of thought into refs vs "we should've played better".

*EVERY team plays bad games, every season - sub par or even just piss poor. But when most do have a bad game and still do enough to technically win, then they're the winner, period.

Tired of bailing out the refs just because we could've done better. The refs should be doing their freaking jobs, no matter what kind of game we're having. And we shouldn't hold our own team to a different standard. If we do enough for an ugly win, just like ALL those other teams get, then it should be a win, not refs choice.

Since 2019, I've put an abnormal amount of thought into refs vs "we should've played better".

*EVERY team plays bad games, every season - sub par or even just piss poor. But when most do have a bad game and still do enough to technically win, then they're the winner, period.

Tired of bailing out the refs just because we could've done better. The refs should be doing their freaking jobs, no matter what kind of game we're having. And we shouldn't hold our own team to a different standard. If we do enough for an ugly win, just like ALL those other teams get, then it should be a win, not refs choice.

Exactly. The team did enough to win and at the very least 7 points were stolen from them. It wasn’t pretty and we could have done more, but we did enough.

No he shouldn’t. He is a student athlete doing his best.

The officials and and fake injuries and being robbed of a TD should be trashed. The fact we even needed a TD with 4 seconds left is a travesty.

I agree with your second paragraph. In regards to Milton, though, he deserves whatever criticism comes his way. If running out of bounds like that was his best, he shouldn't see the field again unless Hooker and Bailey both end up not being able to play.

Upon reflection, I really question how much effort he put into that play. He made a nice throw to Merrill and then gave Tillman a chance on the throw to the end zone, but that last play just showed a serious lack of awareness and determination to me.

Reactions: SugarCC and Rishvol
Exactly. The team did enough to win and at the very least 7 points were stolen from them. It wasn’t pretty and we could have done more, but we did enough.

No whistle.
Play was not dead.
TD signal given.
No review.
Just - "Corral seems really sad and he did get confused, let's just not count that"

What t absolute f is that??
Beyond ridiculous. Right up there with "Bama isn't ready, stop the play until they're feeling better about their defensive call".
Just sick of it.

VN Store

Back