Vols release depth chart ahead of Tennessee Tech game

Before the season started, I listened to a sports writer from Michigan talking with Jimmy Hyams on the radio....She said Milton will look good in practice, but will not perform in the games....He will regularly overthrow your speediest receivers...She said he is not a dual threat QB, but a pocket QB that has some moves....She said he is not a good runner, will shy away from contact...

Jimmy said he hoped she was not correct...She said she knows she is correct...He is who he has always been, looks good but will not perform up to expectations when the lights are bright...

This was said a few days before the first game...It was exactly what we have seen so far. Coach H is going to lose the fan base with this guy.

I'm definitely not a nega-vol or a fair weather fan, but no way I'd start Milton. Hooker did a decent/good job at QB
It seems the last few years the coaching staffs have.... Rewarded failure, while ignoring success

Reactions: 1vol8
Before the season started, I listened to a sports writer from Michigan talking with Jimmy Hyams on the radio....She said Milton will look good in practice, but will not perform in the games....He will regularly overthrow your speediest receivers...She said he is not a dual threat QB, but a pocket QB that has some moves....She said he is not a good runner, will shy away from contact...

Jimmy said he hoped she was not correct...She said she knows she is correct...He is who he has always been, looks good but will not perform up to expectations when the lights are bright...

This was said a few days before the first game...It was exactly what we have seen so far. Coach H is going to lose the fan base with this guy.
“SHE” has nailed it so far!
I hope Coach H gets Milton’s faults straightened out before your last sentence comes true. If he can’t and his ego continues to start him regardless, expect a major decrease in support……….

I am going to turn this around a bit. What have you seen in the games to support Hooker so exhaustively?
FWIW I support whoever the coach thinks is the best player for his system since it’s his job on the line and it’s been two games
I don't support Hooker exhaustively. I support trying new things when the first option is not yielding desired results. I answered your question how about you answer mine? (Rant about people not answering questions and changing the topic.)

I don't support Hooker exhaustively. I support trying new things when the first option is not yielding desired results. I answered your question how about you answer mine? (Rant about people not answering questions and changing the topic.)
I answered the question as much as you did. “I support ….”
And you really think that playing half a game against Pitt is enough time to determine if you are getting the desired results with Milton?

I think that Heupel is a good coach, and I like him. However, this puts me off the Heupel Train. I do not approve of his QB decisions and really hate that he is sabotaging the team's chances to win this year.
I’m sure he’s heartbroken.

I don't see this blind loyalty to Milton that you see. I see more people defending Heupel more than defending Milton himself. Hell the blind loyalty is more towards Harrison Bailey than anybody from my vantage point.

Let me ask you this, if Milton is the best player in practice, how do you start someone else? What message does it send to the team when virtually every coach in the world says you earn playing time in practice, and then you just start someone else despite results in practice? How do you then justify who plays and who doesn't if practice doesn't matter? If practice doesn't matter, then why even hold practice to begin with? You see what kind of slippery slope that would be? Talk about an awful culture. Practice has to matter, otherwise you are just putting names in a hat each week and drawing them out to see what the depth chart will be.

If he is a practice phenom, then at some point it has to translate to Saturdays. If it doesn't, then you have to just move on, but 6 quarters into the season isn't the time yet. If you do make the change, Hooker or Bailey better be showing up in practice. You have to be able to justify the move to the team. So if Hooker and Bailey are just absolute trash in practice, it doesn't really matter how bad Milton is, because you won't be able to justify making the move.
I will engage in discussion but note you also don't answer the only question I asked. What do you see in Milton?

There are so many backing Milton either for Milton's sake or for coaches sake. If backing for the coach, just shut up already. There is nowhere to go with that argument or discussion. It goes in circles for days as we have seeing. If backing before Milton, again tell me why and what you see. Existing arguments are all about give it time and practice and the discussion don't focus on Milton and what is he doing in the game. It is a pivot away from the question. Again what does everyone see in Milton to justify him being the guy?

Milton had two fumbles, one when he went out of the last game. Count that as a mulligan or not. Hooker had a fumble against BG as well. I think Hooker has lost them more to poor decisions on the throw and the scramble. So I will stand by my opinion that he is more likely to turn it over than Milton. And I am fine with getting Hooker up to speed if he is capable of it. I am worried that if we depend on the run game and short passes then it limits the play calling. If there is even a slight chance that Milton connects on a deep wall, the defense has to at least respect the passing game. I see the upside and limits to both. So I am fine with whoever the coach thinks can get it done. Contrary to popular belief on here, I think Heupel is loyal to his scheme, not a particular QB. And whoever he thinks will get that scheme the most complete, that is who he will go with.
And we don’t know what’s happening in practice. Maybe Hooker is turning it over more than Milton there too.

Reactions: GTBATV
I answered the question as much as you did. “I support ….”
And you really think that playing half a game against Pitt is enough time to determine if you are getting the desired results with Milton?
No that is not answering the question. I did not ask you who you support. That was not the question! I asked what you or anyone sees in Milton to defend him. If you can't say what you see in Milton then exit the conversation.

Yep, it is ok for me to have an opinion and express it. What's not ok and hurts the program is a fanbase turning on the coach and QB because they think they know better after less than two games. As far as Milton, I have a decent day job, not in coaching by the way. And altho I have a degree and am a smart guy, I am smart enough to know that Heupel is the only guy that matters in who starts against Florida and who gives us the best chance of winning. If you can't be ok with that at this point in the season, that just speaks poorly about you as a person (not you specifically) . And if you hate JG at this point, it also says more about you than about him
And a coach isn’t going to screw around playing favorites or doing anything other than playing who he thinks gives him the best chance to win. Given Heupel’s resume I’d trust him infinitely more to make that evaluation than a random poster on a message board.

Reactions: goldvol
Milton is obviously the chosen one with JH therefore don't expect to see Hooker or Bailey for more than a series or two at most,
simply because the staff will need Milton to have plenty of game experience under his belt for Florida.

The only way Milton will come out will be if he is injured again. Even with Milton overthrowing 7 td passes and we win 24-17, Milton will stay in the lineup - IMO

And a coach isn’t going to screw around playing favorites or doing anything other than playing who he thinks gives him the best chance to win. Given Heupel’s resume I’d trust him infinitely more to make that evaluation than a random poster on a message board.

I agree. This whole mindset that Heupel is "married to Milton" is asinine at best. Tua came in and won the championship for bama. No one accused Saban of being married to Jalen Hurts. Coaches go with who gives them the best shot.

No that is not answering the question. I did not ask you who you support. That was not the question! I asked what you or anyone sees in Milton to defend him. If you can't say what you see in Milton then exit the conversation.

IMO only - I can see enough in Milton to warrant an extended audition with the qb gurus we have on staff. Just because Harbaugh couldn't develop him doesn't mean Heupel can't either .

I would agree to give him another full game to see if he has indications of being coached up properly. Doesn't really matter who qb's the Fla game, we won't beat them. It'll be fine whether
Hooker or HB starts against Fla. Hooker has experience in tough games, Bailey is mature enough to start the Fla game and won't get rattled as easy as some think.

VN Store

Back