Vols release depth chart ahead of Tennessee Tech game

I'm not going to breakdown the quotes like you did. Simply because I am lazy.

So are we looking at what both have done at other schools and other systems or what each is producing at our school under this system?
I know plays breakdown, I realize that. Milton got sacked for 2 yards total. Hooker got sacked for 15 yards total. Hooker was in the game more, so Milton could have matched that or more if he had played the whole game. So I count that a wash.
I don't know that Milton is a better runner. But I don't see anything that shows me Hooker is a better runner. If they call that play for Milton and gets 54 yards. Why didn't they call that play for Hooker if he is the faster/more mobile QB?
I didn't say I didn't like Hooker. Milton threw for 140 yards last week. Hooker throws for 190. Neither of those are much to brag about. Milton completes 1 for 10 on deep shots, Hooker doesn't even get the call for a deep shot.
I just don't see an advantage to Hooker starting. I think it shortens the field, limits the playbook.

If Hooker starts against Florida and balls out, I will celebrate and give him props for the win. As I would for Milton or Bailey, or whatever the name of that late transfer that came in. I said a few days ago, I think Milton is the lesser of two evils.
You say that but are trying WAY too hard to like Milton and not like Hooker. How can Milton be the "lesser" evil when the one advantage he truly has... is the deep ball?

He's not a better runner than Hooker and yes you have to look at the "whole body of work" for both including Michigan and VT. At Michigan, Milton wasn't a big part of their run game. Last year he had 109 yds on 38 attempts including sacks. Hooker was a feature of VT's run game. He rushed for 620 yds on 120 carries for an average of over 5 yards including sacks. Hooker is a faster, more natural runner than Milton. Comparing them at UT only becomes valid once both have opportunities to make plays over the course of a season. You can't draw the conclusions you're drawing based on one game or even two if the other opponent is a team like BGSU where the QB specifically avoids running to prevent injury.

Reactions: spyfish007
Thanks. And how would you rank the five of those three guys adding in Hooker and Milton? 1 being the best and 5 being the worst
Tough question honestly because of 1 fact.
Pruitt and the offensive staff at UT didn't develope anyone at any position. Seems everyone regressed.
In the spring I would have said HB 1, Maurer 2 Hooker 3. That is based on how they played live infront of people. As far as this season goes I would say Milton does not impress me much like Hooker in the Spring. So as of now based on what we have seen. Hooker 1 Milton 2 only because thats all we have seen. Which is what matters. Maurer has left the program, Shrout was the starter at Colorado and JG was the starter at Washington St. Both are now hurt. So I don't think its as easy to number them. If we see Bailey can give a update to what we have currently. CH and HB could have an agreement to RS and not play unless dire for development as he didn't recieve any under previous staff

Literally 100% of Milton's rushing yards were in one run, so his other 4 run attempts netted 0 yards in the end.
miltonrush.png
Well said

Truth be told if it hadn't have been for penalties, we'd have won this game...

1st unsportsmanlike on Wright - Assessed on KO - Did not hurt us.

2nd - FS - took us from 3 and 2 to 3 and 7 - We converted, but stuff

3rd - PI Flowers - 15 yards 1st down at our 11 - Converted TD two plays later.

4th - FS - Wright - 2nd and 3 - to 2nd and 8 at the Pitt 8
5th - PF UNR - Cade - makes it 3 and 22 at the 22.
6th - OFF PI - Tillman - 15 yards, so now 3rd 37 from the 37. Got lucky to get out with a field goal after having the ball 1st goal on the 3.

7th - PF UNR - Banks - body slammed a player after they had picked up a 1st down tacking on another 15 and putting PITT on the 16 yard line.

8th - FS - put us in 1 and 15. Hooker fumbled the ball on the 27.

9th - Block in the back - Banks - Killed a 100 yard return for a TD and it was completely unnecessary.

10th - PI - Burrell - Gave them the ball on our 6.

11th - Illegal Snap - Carvin - pushed us further back in our own territory for a punt.

12th - FS - Tillman - no real harm on this one

We gave them too many free yards on the wrong side of the field. And Banks gave them 30 yards on the wrong side of the field which pitt took advantage of.

That's an important distinction. I don't even feel like he runs that well, including I don't see him get physical enough when running considering his size.

I just don't see a lot of things he's doing well from my perspective. Still interested to hear what others have to say in case I'm missing something. But I think you're right, he has attributes that are gifts, but he may be missing the actual skills and some intangibles, like real leadership.
The silence to my question is deafening! I am interested to hear everyone but no body is talking about what he does well. Well not completely true. Some conversation about his running being a positive but I think that has been debunked. What else?

He is not running the offense we currently run.

Except he did run the offense and we scored 24 points against a pretty solid Pitt team. Whatever argument you're trying to make, it's a pretty poor argument. Clearly this offense can be productive with Hooker at QB, regardless if he isn't running it exactly as it is designed.

That's an important distinction. I don't even feel like he runs that well, including I don't see him get physical enough when running considering his size.

I just don't see a lot of things he's doing well from my perspective. Still interested to hear what others have to say in case I'm missing something. But I think you're right, he has attributes that are gifts, but he may be missing the actual skills and some intangibles, like real leadership.

I agree. I see a lot of speed, but not much agility out of Milton. Reminds me a lot of Tebow in that way, which is straight ahead into traffic. That's a great way to get hurt, even for a guy his size. You want your QB to avoid as much contact as possible, not actively seek it.

I agree. I see a lot of speed, but not much agility out of Milton. Reminds me a lot of Tebow in that way, which is straight ahead into traffic. That's a great way to get hurt, even for a guy his size. You want your QB to avoid as much contact as possible, not actively seek it.

Most of his runs against BG were mind-boggling; he literally turned his back in a few of them and back-peddled a step, waiting to be tackled. His straight line speed isn't bad once he gets North-South.

You say that but are trying WAY too hard to like Milton and not like Hooker. How can Milton be the "lesser" evil when the one advantage he truly has... is the deep ball?

He's not a better runner than Hooker and yes you have to look at the "whole body of work" for both including Michigan and VT. At Michigan, Milton wasn't a big part of their run game. Last year he had 109 yds on 38 attempts including sacks. Hooker was a feature of VT's run game. He rushed for 620 yds on 120 carries for an average of over 5 yards including sacks. Hooker is a faster, more natural runner than Milton. Comparing them at UT only becomes valid once both have opportunities to make plays over the course of a season. You can't draw the conclusions you're drawing based on one game or even two if the other opponent is a team like BGSU where the QB specifically avoids running to prevent injury.

I'm not trying hard on anything. My original statement is that I don't see that Hooker is better than Milton at the run game.

Yes, he ran 620 and averaged 5 yards a carry in the 20 season. The season before he ran for the same attempts and averaged 3 yards a carry. So if we are looking at the whole body of work, then lets include the whole body of stats. So his run game is averaging 4.2 to Milton's 3.7. As you mentioned, Milton wasn't a big part of the run game at Michigan, but there isn't much difference as far as per carry average. Through our first two games, Hooker is averaging 5.4 and Milton is averaging 5.2. Half a yard per carry or less is not really distancing himself. Is he a better scrambler? Sure. Will he scramble more because they know he isn't throwing it down field? Perhaps....

Except he did run the offense and we scored 24 points against a pretty solid Pitt team. Whatever argument you're trying to make, it's a pretty poor argument. Clearly this offense can be productive with Hooker at QB, regardless if he isn't running it exactly as it is designed.

So he put up 8 points per quarter compared to Milton's 10. Clearly better? and still did not run our offense.

Heupel when asked about changing Quaterbacks “Reduce speed based on a few warnings? Never”
615C8CAA-5120-4847-8788-1E5DDE538CA2.jpeg
Meanwhile, the fans in the stands……85672831-65D3-4163-A88A-14290E1B2D47.gif

So he put up 8 points per quarter compared to Milton's 10. Clearly better? and still did not run our offense.

LOL, you better make sure you don't pull a muscle reaching that far. If you have to resort to points/quarter, you've fallen pretty hard.

Your entire premise is that "Hooker can't run our offense." My premise is, whatever offense he was running, worked pretty damn well.

I'm not trying hard on anything. My original statement is that I don't see that Hooker is better than Milton at the run game.

Yes, he ran 620 and averaged 5 yards a carry in the 20 season. The season before he ran for the same attempts and averaged 3 yards a carry. So if we are looking at the whole body of work, then lets include the whole body of stats. So his run game is averaging 4.2 to Milton's 3.7. As you mentioned, Milton wasn't a big part of the run game at Michigan, but there isn't much difference as far as per carry average. Through our first two games, Hooker is averaging 5.4 and Milton is averaging 5.2. Half a yard per carry or less is not really distancing himself. Is he a better scrambler? Sure. Will he scramble more because they know he isn't throwing it down field? Perhaps....

Watching both players so far, it's quite clear that Hooker is significantly better running the ball than Hooker. Milton, while fast, simply doesn't have much agility.

But I don't see the point in arguing this. Each player's running ability isn't really a concern.

LOL, you better make sure you don't pull a muscle reaching that far. If you have to resort to points/quarter, you've fallen pretty hard.

Your entire premise is that "Hooker can't run our offense." My premise is, whatever offense he was running, worked pretty damn well.

Milton's "PPQ", is JG's YPA/Passing Efficiency.

My entire premise is that Hooker is not running the offense as it is designed to be run. Therefore he's not running the offense. Milton ran the offense and his production was better. You said Hooker led the team to 24 points. It took him 3 quarters to do that. Milton ran the offense at twice the speed of Hooker and scored more points when accounting for his time in the game.

Watching both players so far, it's quite clear that Hooker is significantly better running the ball than Hooker. Milton, while fast, simply doesn't have much agility.

But I don't see the point in arguing this. Each player's running ability isn't really a concern.

Hooker looks more natural running the ball, yes. Yards, sacks, fumbles, etc. I don't see a distinguishable advantage for either.

So I will bite. What is the concern?

My entire premise is that Hooker is not running the offense as it is designed to be run. Therefore he's not running the offense. Milton ran the offense and his production was better. You said Hooker led the team to 24 points. It took him 3 quarters to do that. Milton ran the offense at twice the speed of Hooker and scored more points when accounting for his time in the game.

And that's irrelevant, since he is still running the offense effectively. Maybe there's a different design for each QB. You know good offensive minds generally mold the offense around whatever the QBs strengths are.

You're talking about a sample size of 1 game, and then comparing 1 quarter to 3 quarters. It's such a short sample size that isn't worth discussing. Not only that, but it's not even what I'm arguing. You are inferring Hooker can't run the offense, and that he wasn't as efficient at Milton. I am telling you, he ran the offense pretty damn well, regardless what sort of offense we has running. The difference is "efficiency" was negligible.

If you want to get technical, Milton accounted for 13 points on 5 drives, or an average of 2.6 points per drive. Hooker accounted for 21 points on 9 drives, or an average of 2.333 points per drive. Again, negligible.

Last edited:
And that's irrelevant, since he is still running the offense effectively. Maybe there's a different design for each QB. You know good offensive minds generally mold the offense around whatever the QBs strengths are.

You're talking about a sample size of 1 game, and then comparing 1 quarter to 3 quarters. It's such a short sample size that isn't worth discussing. Not only that, but it's not even what I'm arguing. You are inferring Hooker can't run the offense, and that he wasn't as efficient at Milton. I am telling you, he ran the offense pretty damn well, regardless what sort of offense we has running. The difference is "efficiency" was negligible.

If you want to get technical, Milton accounted for 13 points on 5 drives, or an average of 2.6 points per drive. Hooker accounted for 21 points on 9 drives, or an average of 2.333 points per drive. Again, negligible.

I was under the impression you were arguing for Hooker. This offense is designed to gas defenses. Hooker is not running efficiently. Maybe he can improve with reps, but this isn't a situation where he is being asked to do something he cannot do physically he is being asked to get plays off quickly. If he plays, hopefully he improves.

I was under the impression you were arguing for Hooker. This offense is designed to gas defenses. Hooker is not running efficiently. Maybe he can improve with reps, but this isn't a situation where he is being asked to do something he cannot do physically he is being asked to get plays off quickly. If he plays, hopefully he improves.

I would probably go with Hooker over Milton at this point for a number of reasons, but mostly because he has proven to be a more accurate passer and is better in space with the ball in his hands. My main issue with your post seemed to be you were implying that Hooker wasn't running the offense efficiently or that there was some large gap between the 2 QBs. Hooker ran the offense just fine, regardless of how it's designed to be run.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back