Vols release depth chart ahead of Tennessee Tech game

You realize Spurrier made multiple questionable QB decisions during his coaching days right?

I do but the point is he wasn’t afraid to try something different. It didn’t always work out but sometimes it did. While Milton may be the practice QB National Champion, Hooker is better than Milton in games which we saw last week. It shouldn’t have taken Milton getting injured to put Hooker in the game. I can see the train wreck that Milton is so surely Heup can as well. I can’t help but think we are witnessing another JG type scenario play out because Milton practices so well.

If you're asking does Milton have warts, then yes he does. Personally, I wouldn't mind giving Hooker a shot at this point, but I get what others see in Milton. He easily has the best arm, best size, and I wouldn't be shocked if he is actually faster than Hooker. Not quicker, but it wouldn't shock me to see Milton top Hooker in a 40. He also got here later and had had less time than the other QBs with Heupel.

Now for why I'm not calling for Milton to be benched is that he has only gotten 6 quarters to play here. Apparently you think 6 quarters here is enough to make judgement, but I disagree. Just last year, some guy named Tom Brady switched teams, and through 2 games he had 3 TDs and 3 picks and a sub 80 QBR. So if the GOAT needs more than 2 games to adjust to a new offense, why are you or anybody holding Milton to an unrealistic and higher standard? If 6 quarters is enough, youre going to be a revolving door of players because you're going to constantly be benching and replacing guys after one bad game.
I am not asking if he has warts. The warts are well documented at this point. I am asking what does he do well? Size and big arm are attributes that you have. They are not what you do well.

Reactions: Remy
I am not asking if he has warts. The warts are well documented at this point. I am asking what does he do well? Size and big arm are attributes that you have. They are not what you do well.

That's an important distinction. I don't even feel like he runs that well, including I don't see him get physical enough when running considering his size.

I just don't see a lot of things he's doing well from my perspective. Still interested to hear what others have to say in case I'm missing something. But I think you're right, he has attributes that are gifts, but he may be missing the actual skills and some intangibles, like real leadership.

Reactions: spyfish007
I do but the point is he wasn’t afraid to try something different. It didn’t always work out but sometimes it did. While Milton may be the practice QB National Champion, Hooker is better than Milton in games which we saw last week. It shouldn’t have taken Milton getting injured to put Hooker in the game. I can see the train wreck that Milton is so surely Heup can as well. I can’t help but think we are witnessing another JG type scenario play out because Milton practices so well.

In Hooker, I saw a QB that couldn't run the offense as efficiently as Milton. I saw a QB that stared down receivers. I saw a QB throw a pick at the most inopportune time. If he's gonna be the guy, he's gonna have to do better. I don't like Milton's overthrows, but they weren't ill advised throws in which he missed the lb coming across the middle in coverage.

It's interesting that people think Hooker is better at the run game. Milton was in for a little over a quarter and had more yards than Hooker in almost 3 quarters. And that's with Milton taking 7 deep shots (missing on all, I know) and Hooker taking zero deep shots. It could be the Milton is the better mobile QB, or it could be that Hooker gets covered up more in the box because the deep ball isn't a threat. Either way, it's not a positive argument for Hooker.

In Hooker, I saw a QB that couldn't run the offense as efficiently as Milton. I saw a QB that stared down receivers. I saw a QB throw a pick at the most inopportune time. If he's gonna be the guy, he's gonna have to do better. I don't like Milton's overthrows, but they weren't ill advised throws in which he missed the lb coming across the middle in coverage.
Did he stare down "receivers" or that particular receiver?

Agree he needs to do better. MIlton's overthrows had more to do with losing the game than Hooker's mistake. By the time Hooker made that mistake, UT was trailing and pushing down field. Milton had an opportunity to put Pitt down 3 scores early and change the whole flow of the game. Worse yet, it was consistent with Milton's performance in the first game. He didn't get better.

Is there an opportune time to throw a pick? Had he gotten the starter's reps in practice then maybe he doesn't make that throw. Maybe Milton would have made the same throw? We just don't know. What we do know is that Hooker came in cold, had some struggles, then put 21 points on the board to keep UT in the game. He completed over 70% of his passes for 188 with 2 TDs and a pick in about 2 1/2 quarters. Milton is completing 51% of his passes for a two game total of 189 yds and 1 TD vs BGSU.

I don't think Hooker's ceiling is anywhere close to that of Milton. But Milton simply leaves too many plays on the field. He either needs to get it together RIGHT NOW or needs to be replaced with one of the "regular Joes" who at least give you the "routine".

It's interesting that people think Hooker is better at the run game. Milton was in for a little over a quarter and had more yards than Hooker in almost 3 quarters. And that's with Milton taking 7 deep shots (missing on all, I know) and Hooker taking zero deep shots. It could be the Milton is the better mobile QB, or it could be that Hooker gets covered up more in the box because the deep ball isn't a threat. Either way, it's not a positive argument for Hooker.
Go back and watch Hooker running the ball at VT. He hasn't had much opportunity at UT. He gives you about as much as Milton in the designed run game. He is much better when the play breaks down and he has to make something happen a la Dobbs. He's also a little faster than Milton.

Literally 100% of Milton's rushing yards were in one run, so his other 4 run attempts netted 0 yards in the end.
miltonrush.png

Last edited:
Wholly unsurprising. Heupel is going to try to use this game to "coach Milton up", and then toss him out on the field against Florida, and let him dig a hole we can't get out of before putting an under-prepared Hooker into the game after Milton goes out with a supposed injury.

He's going to prove to the world how wonderful Milton is, when he bombs out, the other QBs he's under prepared look worse demonstrating how great Milton and his coaching acumen actually is. We've seen this show previously. Brace yourselves.

Go back and watch Hooker running the ball at VT. He hasn't had much opportunity at UT. He gives you about as much as Milton in the designed run game. He is much better when the play breaks down and he has to make something happen a la Dobbs. He's also a little faster than Milton.

I just don't see any evidence that Hooker is better. Why is the play breaking down with him, why is he having scramble? He had more opportunity last Saturday than Milton and produced less as far as the run game goes. Milton was 7/12 on passing while he was in. All of those five missed passes were deep balls. Hooker was 0/0 on deep balls. Why was he not given the looks that Milton was given?

Milton is underwhelming compared to his preseaon hype. I agree. I wish he was better. But the evidence I see for Hooker or Bailey is that they aren't Joe Milton. And it's just not enough for me at this point in the season. I hope we have a QB that steps up and plays well. I don't care who it is.

True. Where was Hooker's long run?

So Milton is more of a running threat long as he gets one long run per game, and then eats enough sacks to negate the rest of his running yardage outside of that long run? Interesting.

So Milton is more of a running threat long as he gets one long run per game, and then eats enough sacks to negate the rest of his running yardage outside of that long run? Interesting.

Is this the strawman argument you always speak of? Again Hooker couldn't do more in 3 quarters compared to one. Couldn't match yardage, didn't get a long run, didn't get any chance to throw a deep ball. Runs the offense at a slower pace and is more turnover prone. I'm not opposed to starting Hooker over Milton. I just want to see some evidence that he is a better option. That's it.

Reactions: ClearwaterVol

He made 1 bad throw. And he actually ran the offense more effectively than Milton, as evidenced by a much higher completion rate and more points scored while he was out there.

Int's are gonna happen no matter who is at QB. He played well otherwise.

Is this the strawman argument you always speak of? Again Hooker couldn't do more in 3 quarters compared to one. Couldn't match yardage, didn't get a long run, didn't get any chance to throw a deep ball. Runs the offense at a slower pace and is more turnover prone. I'm not opposed to starting Hooker over Milton. I just want to see some evidence that he is a better option. That's it.
means.jpg

He literally lost every bit of what other yardage he might have had rushing, on taking sacks/TFLs, outside of the one run where Pitt's defense lost containment.

How exactly is that a real "threat" to any defense? Even lead-footed QBs will take off and burn you to some degree in those types of scenarios.

He literally lost every bit of what other yardage he might have had rushing, on taking sacks, outside of the one run where Pitt's defense lost containment.

How exactly is that a real "threat" to any defense? Even lead-footed QBs will take off and burn you to some degree in those types of scenarios.

And that is evidence that Hooker is better how?

I just don't see any evidence that Hooker is better.
Than Milton? He's a career 60% passer with a 3:1 TD to INT ratio who is currently completing 70% of his passes compared to 51% for Milton. He has more TD passes in a little over 2 qtrs than Milton has in 6. This in spite of the practice investment they've made in Milton.

Why is the play breaking down with him, why is he having scramble?
Plays break down. When a QB breaks the pocket is usually based on what the coach says.

He had more opportunity last Saturday than Milton and produced less as far as the run game goes.
And? That doesn't mean he isn't a better runner. He had a 54 yard run on a designed play and then netted 0 yds on his other 4 carries. No only knows if Hooker could have made that run. More than likely he would have made a big play too.

Milton was 7/12 on passing while he was in. All of those five missed passes were deep balls. Hooker was 0/0 on deep balls. Why was he not given the looks that Milton was given?
He doesn't have Milton's arm. But are you seriously arguing that missing 5 deep throws is better than hitting 70% of shorter throws? Are you really trying to argue that Milton's 189 yds over two games at 51% completion is better to keep the O moving than Hooker's 70% for 188 in less than half the playing time?

Milton is underwhelming compared to his preseaon hype. I agree. I wish he was better. But the evidence I see for Hooker or Bailey is that they aren't Joe Milton. And it's just not enough for me at this point in the season. I hope we have a QB that steps up and plays well. I don't care who it is.
You don't like a guy who completes 70% of his throws for 188 yds?

I have nothing against Milton and honestly I was as excited as anyone to see what he could do with that cannon. Unfortunately what we've seen so far is pretty bad. The ONLY advantage he truly brings over Hooker is the deep ball. He's completed 1 of 10. That just won't work. Both can run. Both can hit the short stuff though Milton sometimes lacks touch.

He made 1 bad throw. And he actually ran the offense more effectively than Milton, as evidenced by a much higher completion rate and more points scored while he was out there.

Int's are gonna happen no matter who is at QB. He played well otherwise.

He operated the offense at a snail's pace. That is no longer our offense.

Than Milton? He's a career 60% passer with a 3:1 TD to INT ratio who is currently completing 70% of his passes compared to 51% for Milton. He has more TD passes in a little over 2 qtrs than Milton has in 6. This in spite of the practice investment they've made in Milton.

Plays break down. When a QB breaks the pocket is usually based on what the coach says.

And? That doesn't mean he isn't a better runner. He had a 54 yard run on a designed play and then netted 0 yds on his other 4 carries. No only knows if Hooker could have made that run. More than likely he would have made a big play too.

He doesn't have Milton's arm. But are you seriously arguing that missing 5 deep throws is better than hitting 70% of shorter throws? Are you really trying to argue that Milton's 189 yds over two games at 51% completion is better to keep the O moving than Hooker's 70% for 188 in less than half the playing time?

You don't like a guy who completes 70% of his throws for 188 yds?

I have nothing against Milton and honestly I was as excited as anyone to see what he could do with that cannon. Unfortunately what we've seen so far is pretty bad. The ONLY advantage he truly brings over Hooker is the deep ball. He's completed 1 of 10. That just won't work. Both can run. Both can hit the short stuff though Milton sometimes lacks touch.

I'm not going to breakdown the quotes like you did. Simply because I am lazy.

So are we looking at what both have done at other schools and other systems or what each is producing at our school under this system?
I know plays breakdown, I realize that. Milton got sacked for 2 yards total. Hooker got sacked for 15 yards total. Hooker was in the game more, so Milton could have matched that or more if he had played the whole game. So I count that a wash.
I don't know that Milton is a better runner. But I don't see anything that shows me Hooker is a better runner. If they call that play for Milton and gets 54 yards. Why didn't they call that play for Hooker if he is the faster/more mobile QB?
I didn't say I didn't like Hooker. Milton threw for 140 yards last week. Hooker throws for 190. Neither of those are much to brag about. Milton completes 1 for 10 on deep shots, Hooker doesn't even get the call for a deep shot.
I just don't see an advantage to Hooker starting. I think it shortens the field, limits the playbook.

If Hooker starts against Florida and balls out, I will celebrate and give him props for the win. As I would for Milton or Bailey, or whatever the name of that late transfer that came in. I said a few days ago, I think Milton is the lesser of two evils.

Reactions: vedaant1810
He literally lost every bit of what other yardage he might have had rushing, on taking sacks/TFLs, outside of the one run where Pitt's defense lost containment.

Their running is comparable.

VN Store

Back