Vols release depth chart ahead of Tennessee Tech game

Can we just support the QB and coach for like half a season before we throw them under the burning mattress at VN.com?
I can't support a coaching staff that is blind to what is happening on the field. I am not sitting here calling for Bailey to start but it is clear Hooker is a better option than Milton.

I can't support a coaching staff that is blind to what is happening on the field. I am not sitting here calling for Bailey to start but it is clear Hooker is a better option than Milton.
The new coaching staff has lost your support after two games because who they started at qb 🤣🤣🤣. Maybe your expectations are just a tad unrealistic

Reactions: Rootyvol1998
The new coaching staff has lost your support after two games because who they started at an 🤣🤣🤣. Maybe your expectations are just a tad unrealistic
A person can "not" agree with a coaching decision and still support a coach. I don't agree with his decision, but I'm kinda thinking he's going to get things figured out and improve the team.

A person can "not" agree with a coaching decision and still support a coach. I don't agree with his decision, but I'm kinda thinking he's going to get things figured out and improve the team.
Yep. But the post I quoted specifically said he could not support the coach

The new coaching staff has lost your support after two games because who they started at an 🤣🤣🤣. Maybe your expectations are just a tad unrealistic
Maybe I am not blind. If you haven't seen Milton over his entire college career and are basing his performance on just 2 games maybe it is you who has unrealistic expectations. The guy can't throw the ball down the field. He is now into his 4th year of playing and you think that is just going to change? There is plenty of film that shows his inability to throw down field.

Maybe I am not blind. If you haven't seen Milton over his entire college career and are basing his performance on just 2 games maybe it is you who has unrealistic expectations. The guy can't throw the ball down the field. He is now into his 4th year of playing and you think that is just going to change? There is plenty of film that shows his inability to throw down field.
The only thing I have said and will continue say about Milton is that the coach watches these guys daily in practice, and are running Heupel’s offense, and their job is actually on the line based on their performance. Why in the world do you think they would not put the guy in that would give them the best opportunity of success in their system?? 🤔🤔

This staff is married to Milton, just like how Cornbread was to JG. Pathetic.

Way too early to say dumb **** like this. It's been three games, not 3 years. Big difference. I'm all for using this to get Milton going. If he can't do it vs TN Tech in week 3, then I can see the staff moving on. Milton by far has the most potential, we will be at our best if we can get him going. But reality is, Hooker will play a good amount this game as well. Don't know about you guys, I'll live with over throws over interceptions hahaha.

So quote the post where someone seriously suggested we should fire Heupel at this point, because I want to post a nelson point and laugh gif.

This attempt to make any criticism leveled at Heupel's decisions as tantamount to saying he should fired is fallacious at best. Heupel, is not above reproach, and regardless of the time he's been here, he's not immune from criticism when his decisions do not work out.

Heupel made every decision concerning whether or not he wanted to go with a QB on the roster or go to the portal, he went and got Milton, and ultimately it was his decision to make him starter, and it will be his to decide to keep starting him or not. Regardless of his professional reasoning as a HC for doing so, regardless of the eventual outcome (good or bad), every bit of that responsibility lays at Heupel's feet. You can try as hard as you possibly can to divorce him from that responsibility, but you will not succeed, as he was the decider in every single step of that process.

Again, you're making up a stance, and then arguing against it. Nobody has said the personnel decisions, including who to start at QB, aren't his decisions. They absolutely are and everyone knows that. He is the head coach after all.

The disagreements are coming from those acting like we for sure have a better option than Milton. We don't know that. What do we know? We have 2 transfer QBs and transfer QBs typically aren't high level guys. Elite QBs rarely transfer and when they do, they aren't looking at us right now. As for the other option, well he couldn't beat out JG or Maurer, then apparently didn't show enough in the spring and summer to convince our coach that we are set there. That doesn't inspire a ton of confidence either. Heupel may just be choosing from 3 poor options, 2 of which he inherited and had zero to do with being on the roster. But that doesn't matter, because if all 3 suck, to you it will still be Heupel's fault.

The only thing I have said and will continue say about Milton is that the coach watches these guys daily in practice, and are running Heupel’s offense, and their job is actually on the line based on their performance. Why in the world do you think they would not put the guy in that would give them the best opportunity of success in their system?? 🤔🤔
Practice is easy when you wear a green jersey knowing nobody can touch you. JG was good in practice too. It doesn't always translate into a good gameday player. This should not come as a surprise to anyone. What's sad is JG was leaps and bounds better than Milton throwing downfield.

Again, you're making up a stance, and then arguing against it. Nobody has said the personnel decisions, including who to start at QB, aren't his decisions. They absolutely are and everyone knows that. He is the head coach after all.

The disagreements are coming from those acting like we for sure have a better option than Milton. We don't know that. What do we know? We have 2 transfer QBs and transfer QBs typically aren't high level guys. Elite QBs rarely transfer and when they do, they aren't looking at us right now. As for the other option, well he couldn't beat out JG or Maurer, then apparently didn't show enough in the spring and summer to convince our coach that we are set there. That doesn't inspire a ton of confidence either. Heupel may just be choosing from 3 poor options, 2 of which he inherited and had zero to do with being on the roster. But that doesn't matter, because if all 3 suck, to you it will still be Heupel's fault.
It’s all he ever has. Just like early in preseason when posters were saying wait and see and had some positive things about CJH and he was his usual self and stating “people were wanting to build statues of him”. Ridiculous hyperbole to justify constant negativity. I criticized CJH as well for the 4th down call and more however I still understand that it’s game 2 and I see tons of positive things with this depleted team

I am going to turn this around a bit. It seems like there is blind loyalty to Milton from part of the fanbase. You get comments about practice and coach knows better as a defense. I want to know what you have seen with your own eyes that makes you believe in Milton. I don't see it. What you do in practice does not matter if it does not translate to games. What have you seen in the games to support Milton so exhaustively? I don't see it.

I am going to turn this around a bit. It seems like there is blind loyalty to Milton from part of the fanbase. You get comments about practice and coach knows better as a defense. I want to know what you have seen with your own eyes that makes you believe in Milton. I don't see it. What you do in practice does not matter if it does not translate to games. What have you seen in the games to support Milton so exhaustively? I don't see it.
I am going to turn this around a bit. What have you seen in the games to support Hooker so exhaustively?
FWIW I support whoever the coach thinks is the best player for his system since it’s his job on the line and it’s been two games

See, right here is the problem.

We compare ourselves to other programs in hopes of landing the next Saban.

I’m tired of getting turned down by big name coaches every 3 years just to go back right where we started.

When Saban took the Bama job in 2007 he made less that $4 million. He actually didn’t get close to $6 million until 2010. He now makes about $9.3 million.

Back in 2007 nearly $4 million was insane money for a coach. How much has UT thrown at any top notch coach which doesn’t include Franklin because he isn’t worth enough to wash Saban’s underwear.

What’s the moral of the story. In most cases you get what you pay for. UT has NEVER gone after one of the top 4 HC’s with serious money. Instead, our administration shops the blue light special bin (those were K-Mart discount bins for you young’ns) hoping they hit the lottery but it hasn’t worked out so we’ll yet has it.

When Saban took the Bama job in 2007 he made less that $4 million. He actually didn’t get close to $6 million until 2010. He now makes about $9.3 million.

Back in 2007 nearly $4 million was insane money for a coach. How much has UT thrown at any top notch coach which doesn’t include Franklin because he isn’t worth enough to wash Saban’s underwear.

What’s the moral of the story. In most cases you get what you pay for. UT has NEVER gone after one of the top 4 HC’s with serious money. Instead, our administration shops the blue light special bin (those were K-Mart discount bins for you young’ns) hoping they hit the lottery but it hasn’t worked out so we’ll yet has it.
Thanks to Bidenflation

Reactions: VolRage

I don't see this blind loyalty to Milton that you see. I see more people defending Heupel more than defending Milton himself. Hell the blind loyalty is more towards Harrison Bailey than anybody from my vantage point.

Let me ask you this, if Milton is the best player in practice, how do you start someone else? What message does it send to the team when virtually every coach in the world says you earn playing time in practice, and then you just start someone else despite results in practice? How do you then justify who plays and who doesn't if practice doesn't matter? If practice doesn't matter, then why even hold practice to begin with? You see what kind of slippery slope that would be? Talk about an awful culture. Practice has to matter, otherwise you are just putting names in a hat each week and drawing them out to see what the depth chart will be.

If he is a practice phenom, then at some point it has to translate to Saturdays. If it doesn't, then you have to just move on, but 6 quarters into the season isn't the time yet. If you do make the change, Hooker or Bailey better be showing up in practice. You have to be able to justify the move to the team. So if Hooker and Bailey are just absolute trash in practice, it doesn't really matter how bad Milton is, because you won't be able to justify making the move.

Reactions: Rootyvol1998
I bet there were good reasons we were shopping the transfer portal for a QB.

Yeah, there was. None of the quarterbacks from previous staff had any loyalty to the new staff. It was extremely smart of the new staff to find a qb that they could trust to run the new system. And, as expected, qb's from previous staff began to transfer. All but one. That shows loyalty. Give the kid a chance.

Reactions: DustyRockSolid
Not many people are Demanding HB
Everyone is stating how dumb Heupels decision is and pointing out empirical evidence to back that up.
Looks like most of the HB people seem just fine with seeing how far Hooker will take us.
Nobody other than a few of you want to see anymore time WASTED and points left on the field because of Milton.
HB played better as a true freshman than Milton is playing, has played and probably will play.
Its just a fact dude.
Hooker looked like he could be made serviceable and us "HB fanboys" are fine with giving hooker a shot.
But bringing Milton onto that field is pure stupidity.
Its just dumb man.
The majority of the board is what I’m talking about “dude”. Theirs more than enough crying on here about it is what I’m talking about.

On Saturday, Hooker was 100% the better option. Even with a fumble and an interception, he was the better option.

Reactions: tbh
TN Tech is basically a scrimmage so think Milton will play if healthy. Best time to work out the issues. If the same problems exist Saturday he is probably done.

VN Store

Back