Vols release depth chart ahead of Tennessee Tech game

Why do I need to watch this week's game, or any future games for that matter, to evaluate Heupel's decisions and coaching performances in the previous two games?

Again, this same nonsense is trotted out with each new coach, that they are somehow immune from discussion and criticism in the present, until some arbitrary time in the future, which gets punted further with each new season.

Heupel's going to be here for years to come, and contrary to popular sentiment, he's not going make all the right choices based on his status as the HC alone.

If you can't handle the discussion of his performance as it occurs, then Volnation is probably not the place for you.

Criticism is fine but it has gone far beyond that with people saying Heupel isn't the guy after 2 games. Or that Milton isn't the guy after arriving here in the summer. And the basis for that is "well JG wasn't good and neither was Pruitt" as if that somehow means these 2 are going to fail as well.

Criticize the 4th and inches call, that's fine. Criticize the overthrows and misses, totally fair. Don't like the offense or the defense, ok. Saying its all an absolute failure after 8 quarters is not fair at all. I wonder how many 2 game sample sizes we can find in sports history of hall of famers that don't look awesome. And before you try and act like I'm calling either of these guys future HOFers, I'm not. I just think the off the deep end reaction after 8 quarters is stupid. Especially when you don't really have a better solution other than "well maybe the other guy is better, but I don't have any evidence to support it. I just know these guys suck." The fact that you and others can't even acknowledge the possibility that the other QBs aren't good either is all I need to know. Not even a definitive, just that it is in the realm of possibility. You aren't here for "discussion", you're here to complain. Just like anybody else saying 8 quarters is a definitive judgment on a career.

The funny thing is, that crowd will complain about anything. If Heupel were to start Bailey and/or Hooker and they both bomb, you'll blame Heupel and say "see, he isn't some QB guru, just fire him now" without acknowledging the circumstances he walked into and that other than Milton, he didn't recruit any of those guys. If Milton plays well it will be "we would still be better with Bailey, because, ya know, he is just better".

Criticism is fine but it has gone far beyond that with people saying Heupel isn't the guy after 2 games. Or that Milton isn't the guy after arriving here in the summer. And the basis for that is "well JG wasn't good and neither was Pruitt" as if that somehow means these 2 are going to fail as well.

Criticize the 4th and inches call, that's fine. Criticize the overthrows and misses, totally fair. Don't like the offense or the defense, ok. Saying its all an absolute failure after 8 quarters is not fair at all. I wonder how many 2 game sample sizes we can find in sports history of hall of famers that don't look awesome. And before you try and act like I'm calling either of these guys future HOFers, I'm not. I just think the off the deep end reaction after 8 quarters is stupid. Especially when you don't really have a better solution other than "well maybe the other guy is better, but I don't have any evidence to support it. I just know these guys suck." The fact that you and others can't even acknowledge the possibility that the other QBs aren't good either is all I need to know. Not even a definitive, just that it is in the realm of possibility. You aren't here for "discussion", you're here to complain. Just like anybody else saying 8 quarters is a definitive judgment on a career.

The funny thing is, that crowd will complain about anything. If Heupel were to start Bailey and/or Hooker and they both bomb, you'll blame Heupel and say "see, he isn't some QB guru, just fire him now" without acknowledging the circumstances he walked into and that other than Milton, he didn't recruit any of those guys. If Milton plays well it will be "we would still be better with Bailey, because, ya know, he is just better".
I have seen with my own eyes Hooker is better than Milton. His tape says it, his play says it. Wasting time with Milton, he isnt a good qb. Impressive arm but little else. To pretend otherwise is false hope. Guy has had 4 years, 4 to become a good qb. Guess what, hes bad. Really bad and based on what I saw Saturday. We have at least 1 option that is better for certain. When another teams back up dbs are laughing and pointing because they know you cant hit a deep ball ? That kinda says it all. You are what everyone see's on tape.

I f Milton hits the long ball vs T Tech. There is no difference than when Bailey hit a coulple of long shots vs our 2&3s as this forum has stated it means nothing. It’s vs non P5 talent it’s oranges & apples. No matter we go into UF game about where we are now no QB confidence.

JM and HH were both five star recruits who played on championship winning teams against highly rated competition. I can't fault Coach for wanting them on the field.

I f Milton hits the long ball vs T Tech. There is no difference than when Bailey hit a coulple of long shots vs our 2&3s as this forum has stated it means nothing. It’s vs non P5 talent it’s oranges & apples. No matter we go into UF game about where we are now no QB confidence.
Seeing that Milton missed wide open receivers in previous games, him actually hitting the receivers would be an improvement. Issue is his accuracy. Doesn’t matter if it is a P5, G5, FCS or high school team he is facing. Milton throwing an accurate long ball would be an improvement no matter who he is throwing it against.

This staff is married to Milton, just like how Cornbread was to JG. Pathetic.

I agree with you but I think the reason is different and that is what matters. Pruitt liked JG because he had the highest floor. Heupel likes Milton because he has the highest ceiling. All Pruitt cared about was the offense not turning the ball over b/c he wanted to win 13-10 games. Heupel mainly cares about scoring points and knows if he can fix Milton’s long ball then he can take the top off the defense.

Hooker is the better player right now, but Hooker can’t beat UF. If Milton can connect on his long balls then we have a shot at out scoring them. I think we lose either way, but Milton at least gives us a shot.

Quote the post, because I've yet to see one saying we should fire Heupel now, or he's definitely not going to be successful at UT.

Who do you think should bear the criticism for not having a QB prepared to effectively run the offense? Heupel made the decision that none of three QBs on the roster could effectively run his offense. Heupel went to the portal and brought in Milton, who'd already demonstrated a general lack of DI QB skills at Michigan. Heupel chose to make Milton the starter and put the time and effort involved into trying to fix his deficiencies instead of working on the other QBs. Heupel makes the decision on who to start each week.

So who should we criticize when the QB-play is not up to par? Has Heupel not made his career on his ability to develop QB? Why shouldn't UT fans expect competent QB play now that he is the HC?

Such a fickle “fan base” we have. We have a sample size of less than two games of Milton playing under Heupel. And you guys already know that Milton 1. has some terrible problem that the backups don’t have and 2. that this problem is now irreparable. Why was his time at Michigan not evidence of a problem ten days ago, but a portion of two games makes it suddenly unresolvable? Give the coach and players support during the rebuild. It will make your life much less stressful and you could actually enjoy watching a game

Have you watched any of his game film from Michigan?

Over throws his receivers, no touch on his passes, it's exactly what he is doing now.

After 3 years of watching JG stink up the field while being a practice warrior, this fan base is tired of bad qb play.

This is Milton's 4th year in a college program. He is where JG is, has some natural ability but just can't seem to put it together on the field.

I'm usually one of those guys that trust the coaches, but I'm pretty much done watching experiments on the field.

CJH needs a qb that can hit the deep ball for his system to work effectively. It's pretty dang obvious Milton ain't it. And it's frustrating to see him out on the field knowing what is coming.

Maybe he can be "fixed", but I haven't seen any indicators that's happening.

Over throws his receivers, no touch on his passes, it's exactly what he is doing now.

After 3 years of watching JG stink up the field while being a practice warrior, this fan base is tired of bad qb play.

This is Milton's 4th year in a college program. He is where JG is, has some natural ability but just can't seem to put it together on the field.

I'm usually one of those guys that trust the coaches, but I'm pretty much done watching experiments on the field.

CJH needs a qb that can hit the deep ball for his system to work effectively. It's pretty dang obvious Milton ain't it. And it's frustrating to see him out on the field knowing what is coming.

In case anyone hasn't watched any of his Michigan film.

Reactions: buckfama

Well, it’s been 6 quarters and a handful of mistakes. I understand you’re frustrated, but what happened with Pruitt has nothing to do with Heupel and Milton.

No more delusional than some fans still living in the 90’s.

This job isn’t attractive as it used to be and that’s a fact.

Neither was Bama before Saban and many other schools around the country until a particular coach arrived and turned them around. As an example, what’s so attractive about Oregon.

No one is living in the 1990’s, or the 1930’s, or the 1940’s. There are still expectations for some programs.

Reactions: lifeisdeep
Neither was Bama before Saban and many other schools around the country until a particular coach arrived and turned them around. As an example, what’s so attractive about Oregon.

No one is living in the 1990’s, or the 1930’s, or the 1940’s. There are still expectations for some programs.
The 90’s, no. You mentioning Saban means you’re living in LaLa land if you’re expecting the greatest turnaround and one of the greatest football minds to land in Knoxville 🤣🤣🤣

Wholly unsurprising. Heupel is going to try to use this game to "coach Milton up", and then toss him out on the field against Florida, and let him dig a hole we can't get out of before putting an under-prepared Hooker into the game after Milton goes out with a supposed injury.
This is the Tennessee way.

The 90’s, no. You mentioning Saban means you’re living in LaLa land if you’re expecting the greatest turnaround and one of the greatest football minds to land in Knoxville 🤣🤣🤣

You may not be old enough to recall but Saban turned down Bama many times while he was with the Dolphins and even said he didn’t have interest in leaving the Dolphins program the night before he took the Bama job so…. 🤣🤣🤣

With respect to Oregon, boatloads of Nike money is what makes it attractive.

Quote the post, because I've yet to see one saying we should fire Heupel now, or he's definitely not going to be successful at UT.

Who do you think should bear the criticism for not having a QB prepared to effectively run the offense? Heupel made the decision that none of three QBs on the roster could effectively run his offense. Heupel went to the portal and brought in Milton, who'd already demonstrated a general lack of DI QB skills at Michigan. Heupel chose to make Milton the starter and put the time and effort involved into trying to fix his deficiencies instead of working on the other QBs. Heupel makes the decision on who to start each week.

So who should we criticize when the QB-play is not up to par? Has Heupel not made his career on his ability to develop QB? Why shouldn't UT fans expect competent QB play now that he is the HC?

You haven't seen anybody on here saying we should fire Heupel and/or he's not going to be successful? Have you been reading these boards? Seriously, I'm not going to do the work for you. It won't take long to find.

Actually, I'm not sure you have read anything. I said criticism was fine and that criticism was fair in some areas. Why are you then asking me who we should criticize? Heupel isn't above reproach and I bet you he would even say he wishes he could change a play call or more in his time here. I don't think anybody has an issue with that. Seriously, where is the confusion? What don't you understand?

Lastly, who should we criticize for having poor QB play? Well, you can't make chicken salad out of chicken $hit. Elite QBs rarely transfer, so you already know Milton and Hooker probably aren't going to be awesome just based on that simple fact and the odds. Heupel has had them for months, where they were elsewhere for the last 3 years. Is Heupel supposed to fix any poor habits they picked up over years of coaching in a few months? As for Bailey, what if he isn't picking up the playbook? What if he isn't putting in the extra work needed to be successful? What if has poor leadership skills? Is that all Heupel's fault? Some people learn at different rates. Why is it all Heupel's fault that 2 QBs that were sent packing from other schools and another QB that couldn't get ahead of JG and Maurer aren't All-SEC performers in under 8 months of tutelage? Again, it isn't like we have this sure fire elite option that we are wasting. But hey, if you feel like it is all Heupel's fault the QBs aren't very good and that he deserves the bulk of the criticism, you are more than welcome to have that opinion.

Also Heupel had Hooker and Bailey and worked with them all spring and summer. Just them. They got a lot of time and effort. After all that, he still felt like he needed to bring in someone else. Perhaps he thinks they aren't worth fixing...

Reactions: VolsSince78
My goodness the HB crybabies will have a complete foot stomping meltdown if he doesn’t see the field Saturday!!
Not many people are Demanding HB
Everyone is stating how dumb Heupels decision is and pointing out empirical evidence to back that up.
Looks like most of the HB people seem just fine with seeing how far Hooker will take us.
Nobody other than a few of you want to see anymore time WASTED and points left on the field because of Milton.
HB played better as a true freshman than Milton is playing, has played and probably will play.
Its just a fact dude.
Hooker looked like he could be made serviceable and us "HB fanboys" are fine with giving hooker a shot.
But bringing Milton onto that field is pure stupidity.
Its just dumb man.

You haven't seen anybody on here saying we should fire Heupel and/or he's not going to be successful? Have you been reading these boards? Seriously, I'm not going to do the work for you. It won't take long to find.

Actually, I'm not sure you have read anything. I said criticism was fine and that criticism was fair in some areas. Why are you then asking me who we should criticize? Heupel isn't above reproach and I bet you he would even say he wishes he could change a play call or more in his time here. I don't think anybody has an issue with that. Seriously, where is the confusion? What don't you understand?

Lastly, who should we criticize for having poor QB play? Well, you can't make chicken salad out of chicken $hit. Elite QBs rarely transfer, so you already know Milton and Hooker probably aren't going to be awesome just based on that simple fact and the odds. Heupel has had them for months, where they were elsewhere for the last 3 years. Is Heupel supposed to fix any poor habits they picked up over years of coaching in a few months? As for Bailey, what if he isn't picking up the playbook? What if he isn't putting in the extra work needed to be successful? What if has poor leadership skills? Is that all Heupel's fault? Some people learn at different rates. Why is it all Heupel's fault that 2 QBs that were sent packing from other schools and another QB that couldn't get ahead of JG and Maurer aren't All-SEC performers in under 8 months of tutelage? Again, it isn't like we have this sure fire elite option that we are wasting. But hey, if you feel like it is all Heupel's fault the QBs aren't very good and that he deserves the bulk of the criticism, you are more than welcome to have that opinion.

Also Heupel had Hooker and Bailey and worked with them all spring and summer. Just them. They got a lot of time and effort. After all that, he still felt like he needed to bring in someone else. Perhaps he thinks they aren't worth fixing...

So quote the post where someone seriously suggested we should fire Heupel at this point, because I want to post a nelson point and laugh gif.

This attempt to make any criticism leveled at Heupel's decisions as tantamount to saying he should fired is fallacious at best. Heupel, is not above reproach, and regardless of the time he's been here, he's not immune from criticism when his decisions do not work out.

Heupel made every decision concerning whether or not he wanted to go with a QB on the roster or go to the portal, he went and got Milton, and ultimately it was his decision to make him starter, and it will be his to decide to keep starting him or not. Regardless of his professional reasoning as a HC for doing so, regardless of the eventual outcome (good or bad), every bit of that responsibility lays at Heupel's feet. You can try as hard as you possibly can to divorce him from that responsibility, but you will not succeed, as he was the decider in every single step of that process.

Reactions: spyfish007

See, right here is the problem.

We compare ourselves to other programs in hopes of landing the next Saban.

I’m tired of getting turned down by big name coaches every 3 years just to go back right where we started.

VN Store

Back