Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something I found funny….. we are one of only 5 teams at the D1 level that scored 34 points and lost….. everyone is happy about the defense and complaining about the QBs.
Ha very true! But the defense played fine but the second quarter which was abysmal. That was a terrible quarter for the defense. This style of offense puts a lot of pressure on a defense so you have to grade them a little differently.

Reactions: VolNash17
That's what practice is for
Some guys are great at practice and totally suck on the field...so not really. All it can do is be a indicator of readiness...just one of many. The greatest indicator is how you play under fire.

According to observers...Milton lights it up in practice, but dude absolutely sucks under live fire..

Ha very true! But the defense played fine but the second quarter which was abysmal. That was a terrible quarter for the defense. This style of offense puts a lot of pressure on a defense so you have to grade them a little differently.
Our style of offense didn’t cause them to give up 27 points in the 2nd quarter.

I’m ashamed of volnation….. we talk a big game but don’t back it up….. we expect extreme commitment and loyalty from our players but can’t be bothered to show up and support them…. The crowd yesterday was embarrassing and could have made a difference in the game.
The crowd was bad but honestly the volume of the crowd was there.

Our style of offense didn’t cause them to give up 27 points in the 2nd quarter.
Need to fix our Safety and DB issue. Again, McCullough killed us in pass coverage absolutely abysmal, it’s like his form of pass coverage is to allow the defender to catch the ball by being 3-5 yds away every time. He is worthless for pass breakups and he always takes terrible angles.

I mean the double pass to the TE is an example. McCullough could of easily of stopped that play from happening but instead of scanning the field for open players he is staring at the QB and has no one in his zone and doesn’t break on the throw until it is too late.

I dunno I just don’t think you can fix McCullough he has had that same issue since the first game he started.

Something I found funny….. we are one of only 5 teams at the D1 level that scored 34 points and lost….. everyone is happy about the defense and complaining about the QBs.
The offense with turnovers put the defense in some really bad spots....but the defense played fine.

Need to fix our Safety and DB issue. Again, McCullough killed us in pass coverage absolutely abysmal, it’s like his form of pass coverage is to allow the defender to catch the ball by being 3-5 yds away every time. He is worthless for pass breakups and he always takes terrible angles.

I mean the double pass to the TE is an example. McCullough could of easily of stopped that play from happening but instead of scanning the field for open players he is staring at the QB and has no one in his zone and doesn’t break on the throw until it is too late.

I dunno I just don’t think you can fix McCullough he has had that same issue since the first game he started.
Yeah…. He had a pass break up in the game and we joked that he was trailing his man who led him in the way of the throw.

Reactions: cHiZzLeVOL
Pitt--- we can see how important and effective having a veteran QB that is above average can be in terms of managing and finishing a game in the same system for years.

MOVING FORWARD---

I don't know the extent of Milton's injury, but clearly after two games, this is the realistic scenario that needs to take place---- Hooker to my knowledge has one year of eligibility... Milton has 3yrs of eligibility....

Start Hooker the remainder of the year with HB as backup... Milton needs to take this season and just practice working on controlling his arm and how to read coverages...
Next season Hooker is gone and Milton now hopefully has the tools and control to be the QB he is supposed to be, with HB having that year too to develop... He now has two years to play...
If Harrison Bailey isn't the starter by atleast end of spring, he will enter the portal, imo. May even enter portal at the end of this season if he doesn't start seeing the field.

I will say one thing. Banks has turned into a beast. We need to recruit four more ILB this class.
Banks is a legit LB now. That kid is always all over the field. Sucks he got that 15 yarder for slamming that dude in the heat of the moment but oh well. He was making plays all over the place.

And Covid has exacerbated the problem. People couldn't go so they discovered life without UT football, live in Neyland. 80" TVs, a comfy recliner, AC and heat, a full kitchen and bar all created their own luxury suite. Not to mention saving $200-$300 and an 8 hr day made it a viable solution.

You are really selling me on telling them to stick it

FWIW I pretty much expected the QB play we saw. I have been saying for months we don’t have a QB. For all the people screaming for Bailey the reason you aren’t seeing him is because our offensive line is straight dog ****. Without Hooker or Milton we would have even less of a running game. Also Bailey would get killed back there.

Given the personnel we have I have been pleasantly surprised with the defense. You can definitely tell they are better coached and the staff is taking journeyman and turning them into contributors. I really wish we had more SEC level defensive lineman we could rotate because it was obvious they were gassed when the pass rush fell off the cliff. Also all knew linebacker would be a major weakness so it is what it is. Big drop off after Banks and Mitchell.

For my money Hype had a good game plan and he already has the decked stacked against him with all the holes in the roster. The only issue I really had with him was not challenging the spot when it was obvious he made it and the 4th down call. 4th and less than a yard can we not line up under center and sneak it?

To sum it up I think we have the best group of developers we have had in over 10 years. I just think the program and roster are in a worse spot than they have been in a long time. Once again I expected the QB room to be bad but the offensive line has been the biggest disappointment for me and showed the least amount of growth. 10 lineman my ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back