Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wright got carries before Pierce.
Wright had like 4 carries in the game. My point was I was surprised we didn't see more of him in the fourth. Pierce had 8 carries.

So if I had to pick on Milton it would be for the following:

Don’t love his footwork and standing still.

He missed throws - over and behind.

He missed reads - even if we were playing vanilla the play was called, the routes were run and the player was open. He was late on a lot of decisions.

He doesn’t make quick decisions. He holds on too long and that will be costly.

He looks a little bit of deer in the headlights.

My fear is he is another practice professional but once the lights come on he tightens up.

We will see. He is our QB1 for the foreseeable future.

aside from the WRs and some missed throws from Milton I thought they played well. Especially for calling plays as vanilla as they did. People complaining simply because we didn’t air it out and it wasn’t perfect
Milton went 11/23, granted there were at least 3 drops. We ran because Milton couldn't get it to the WRs. He missed a lot of wide open receivers. I hope Huepel can get him to look at more than 1 receiver next week.

What you guys got for Pitt? After this I am expecting a tight game. With Joe it could go either way.
Wanna see Pitt play.

QB play has to make a big improvement. I wish we could've given Hooker and Bailey more plays. Really wanted to see them in live gameplay, to see if they have that "it" factor. Also wish Milton didn't play so flat-footed. It seems like he needs to make quicker decisions and needs to go hard after choosing, some of his runs were S.O.F.T, soft-t.

I think we can beat Pitt, but man, we'll probably have to complete passes in the 2nd, 3rd, & 4th qtr and have more than 8 offensive plays in a qtr too.

I agree with most of what you say on Milton except for the added Bailey comment. We have no idea what HB would do in this system, and the coaches, who have seen both operate in it, clearly think Milton has done the better job.

Something to add on Milton. He's not a RB. He needs to stop dancing and trying to break the big run when he has a first down right in front of him. There were at least two times he could have bulled ahead for a first, but tried to juke outside and got caught. Just get the first down.

Yeah, tonight Milton definitely wasn't athletic. Yeah, he scrambled a few times, but even Bailey would have scored on the rushing TD he got. He actually looked kinda slow to me for a dual-threat. If he is even labeled as such. I'm not calling to yank Milton and call for a QB battle. Milton need to continue to develope. But I think Bailey should have been given at least the 4th quarter tonight to see what he can do. Dude can throw. We've all seen it.

Tonight was just unexciting. I don't know if it was rust from the players or just they kept the gameplay quite generic. I couldn't pay as much attention tonight as I wanted to as I had to usher the student section. Woo boy.

So if I had to pick on Milton it would be for the following:

Don’t love his footwork and standing still.

He missed throws - over and behind.

He missed reads - even if we were playing vanilla the play was called, the routes were run and the player was open. He was late on a lot of decisions.

He doesn’t make quick decisions. He holds on too long and that will be costly.

He looks a little bit of deer in the headlights.

My fear is he is another practice professional but once the lights come on he tightens up.

We will see. He is our QB1 for the foreseeable future.

Stares down WR's

Milton went 11/23, granted there were at least 3 drops. We ran because Milton couldn't get it to the WRs. He missed a lot of wide open receivers. I hope Huepel can get him to look at more than 1 receiver next week.

We ran because there was a soft box all night. BG expected us to air it all over the place just like we all did, but one hallmark of heupel’s offenses is taking what the defense gives you and making them pay for it. Milton wasn’t perfect but we ran because we were doing it well, not because Milton wasn’t cutting it. In fact, I suspect miltons performance was at least in part due to not being able to get into a rhythm bc the running game was humming. His opening two drives were great bc he was in his stride.

Yeah, tonight Milton definitely wasn't athletic. Yeah, he scrambled a few times, but even Bailey would have scored on the rushing TD he got. He actually looked kinda slow to me for a dual-threat. If he is even labeled as such. I'm not calling to yank Milton and call for a QB battle. Milton need to continue to develope. But I think Bailey should have been given at least the 4th quarter tonight to see what he can do. Dude can throw. We've all seen it.

Tonight was just unexciting. I don't know if it was rust from the players or just they kept the gameplay quite generic. I couldn't pay as much attention tonight as I wanted to as I had to usher the student section. Woo boy.
No chance Bailey scores on either rushing TD Milton had tonight

it didn’t appear, at least through my untrained eyes, that Milton had command of the field/team tonight.

From my perspective, a good QB has to be relaxed and focused to lead, make quick decisions, control the game and make the plays. The whole offense feeds off that leadership. I didn’t get that impression with Joe in this game. His hesitancy on some of his runs and rocket passes (when more finesse was needed) seemed to be a product of this.

Maybe it is just a confidence issue and comfort level with the system. That can Improve as the season progresses. At least I hope. But, I trust that CJH will help him quickly progress or will move on to the next man,

Reactions: SmokinBob
We ran because there was a soft box all night. BG expected us to air it all over the place just like we all did, but one hallmark of heupel’s offenses is taking what the defense gives you and making them pay for it. Milton wasn’t perfect but we ran because we were doing it well, not because Milton wasn’t cutting it. In fact, I suspect miltons performance was at least in part due to not being able to get into a rhythm bc the running game was humming. His opening two drives were great bc he was in his stride.
This. BG literally dropped 7 into coverage every single play. Rushed 3 and had a spy

Honestly., I'm just getting tired of HB being painted as our QB savior. Maybe the kid is a gamer, and maybe he plays better when the lights come on, but right now, he has not beat out Milton, and Milton didn't mess up enough to get pulled. Had we dominated the game, we probably would have seen HB at some point, but we didn't.

Milton has a lot he needs to improve on. A whole lot. Hopefully we see that first game to second game jump.

Spot on. In his post game radio interview JM was completely upbeat but you could hear his exasperation that the running game carried the day in the 2nd half. Also JM had around 60 yds rushing before netting out sacks and 2 rushing TDs.

I’m a newbie. So, take it for what it’s worth. Did not find the game exciting at all. On field, meh. Very little in-stadium hype. No replays on the screen until the 4th quarter. Very little music besides the dj that you couldn’t hear except when he was onscreen. No buy in. I’m hoping that it was just a lame opponent and therefore not a normal game atmosphere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back