‘22 NC CG Jalen Hood-Schifino

I know you’ve been vocal about pushing for him but I took that as more about not missing on both guys or slow playing him, not that you preferred JHS as a player over Wallace?
Let me clarify. I originally preferred him as a player before Wallace’s summer blowup. Now, I’m rather indifferent, as both are great players. Part of me would prefer JHS for 2-3 years over Wallace for 1 year, but as you said, my real “preference” was that we push hard for JHS earlier. I think that took a pause when it seemed like Wallace might be the quicker of the two to make a decision. It now appears that JHS may get it done and over with sooner, after all.

My gut tells me it’s Indiana. But if he does choose the Vols I’ll be thrilled. I think Wallace will be a great player but I think JHS for 2-3 years might end up suiting us better anyway. Realistically, I just want to land either of them. If we can get one of their commitments, it’ll be a huge win for TN.

National top-25 prospect Jalen Hood-Schifino of Montverde Academy in Florida and the Team Thad AAU program is down to two schools, his mom tells Peegs.com.

The final two schools are Indiana and Tennessee.

Hood-Schifino plans to announce his college choice on Tuesday, Aug. 24.

Indiana opened the July recruiting period by having three coaches watch him at the Elite 32, a clear sign how much of a priority he is for Mike Woodson and his staff. IU assistant Kenya Hunter is the lead recruiter for the Hoosiers.

Hood-Schifino took an Indiana official visit at the end of June.

He discussed each of his finalists with 247Sports national analyst Eric Bossi.

Here are Hood-Schifino’s comments about Indiana and Tennessee.

Indiana: “Coach Hunter has been recruiting me the longest, so the relationship is there. He’s great. And Coach Woodson has been where I’m trying to go. Coach Woodson has had great success in the NBA. I can’t wait to see his transition on the college level.”

Tennessee: “I’ve built a relationship with Coach Barnes and Coach Gainey. They’ve been great. And we obviously know Coach Barnes track record.”
-Rabjohns

So pretty much Indiana told him he could come in and start immediately?

Sounds like a positive thing for UT since Barnes isn’t lying to these kids.

Let me clarify. I originally preferred him as a player before Wallace’s summer blowup. Now, I’m rather indifferent, as both are great players. Part of me would prefer JHS for 2-3 years over Wallace for 1 year, but as you said, my real “preference” was that we push hard for JHS earlier. I think that took a pause when it seemed like Wallace might be the quicker of the two to make a decision. It now appears that JHS may get it done and over with sooner, after all.
Are we sure JHS is a 2-3 year player? If he’s looking to be promised a starting spot like Rob Lewis seems to be hinting at isn’t it quite possible he abs his camp are looking at him as a one and done? Just a thought.

Reactions: Ryno14
Are we sure JHS is a 2-3 year player? If he’s looking to be promised a starting spot like Rob Lewis seems to be hinting at isn’t it quite possible he abs his camp are looking at him as a one and done? Just a thought.
Sure, that's possible, and no, we don't know that JHS is a 2-3 year player but he doesn't strike me as having the kind of talent to bolt after one year.

And I don't automatically equate looking for the best option to start as him believing he's a sure-fire one-and-done. I'd venture to guess the vast majority of those kids inside the top-50 probably believe, or having someone telling them to believe that they're one-and-done. It doesn't mean they will be, though, and the harsh reality is that college basketball is much more difficult than a lot of these kids realize. The work ethic requirements and competition level are much higher than most ever realize.

Reactions: allvolrecruiting
Sure, that's possible, and no, we don't know that JHS is a 2-3 year player but he doesn't strike me as having the kind of talent to bolt after one year.

And I don't automatically equate looking for the best option to start as him believing he's a sure-fire one-and-done. I'd venture to guess the vast majority of those kids inside the top-50 probably believe, or having someone telling them to believe that they're one-and-done. It doesn't mean they will be, though, and the harsh reality is that college basketball is much more difficult than a lot of these kids realize. The work ethic requirements and competition level are much higher than most ever realize.
Absolutely, I’m simply saying that assuming JHS is a 2-3 year player like a Mashack or Aidoo may not be entirely accurate…no way to know as the kid is never gonna come out and say that, just saying if both are looking at being one and dones I think most everyone would take Wallace.

More interesting discussion could be what about a guy like Ziegler? He’s likely a 4 year guy, is he worth more to a program than 1 year of Wallace or JHS? Initial impact probably isn’t all that high but theoretically we could return Vescovi, Bailey, Powell, James, Mashack and Diboundje all in the backcourt next year.

Absolutely, I’m simply saying that assuming JHS is a 2-3 year player like a Mashack or Aidoo may not be entirely accurate…no way to know as the kid is never gonna come out and say that, just saying if both are looking at being one and dones I think most everyone would take Wallace.

More interesting discussion could be what about a guy like Ziegler? He’s likely a 4 year guy, is he worth more to a program than 1 year of Wallace or JHS? Initial impact probably isn’t all that high but theoretically we could return Vescovi, Bailey, Powell, James, Mashack and Diboundje all in the backcourt next year.
Well, just like you're projecting Ziegler as a 4 year guy, I'm projecting JHS as a 2 year guy. I don't think he's one-and-done. He might be when all is said and done, and Ziegler might be a 2 year guy, too, for all we know. We just don't know how these guys are going to develop and if they will make wise decisions.

But, yes, hypothetically, if I only got one player for one year, I'd prefer it be Wallace.

VN Store

Back