Worst football program in the state?

My daughter goes to school there. They lack confidence more than talent. The other HS in Crossville (Stone Memorial) has had undefeated regular seasons with similar talent.

RBS or Pickett County are easily the historically worst programs in the state. Both are small Basketball schools with very few players (15-20)

We play both. I give RBS credit for grit though. you can be up 40-0 in Q1 and they won't lay down.

Are Rutherford and Blount Counties really for “backwater and poor people”?

can't speak for Rutherford. But as to Blount? On a percentage basis, I think that has improved somewhat. But in Blount as to HS sport power, there are actually three school systems: Blount County, Maryville City, and Alcoa City. Each city has one HS, and the county has two, Heritage and William Blount. I am unsure of the number of middle schools that feed those 4 HS, but you can look it up. And if a good athlete from the county schools ends up at Maryville or Alcoa? I am pretty sure there has been plenty of that.

Reactions: Rasputin_Vol
Both Maryville and Alcoa were strong in late 60s. Tornadoes had a great bball team that could play with anybody. Went to Knoxville West, which seemed to be at bottom of heap at time. Oddly, Catholic was a small program.I hink Webb's program was in its first 10 years

Can anyone tell me if Coffee County Central ( Manchester) has had a winning season in the last 40 years ? We were fairly good mid 60s but haven't heard how they have done since moving away.

Can anyone tell me if Coffee County Central ( Manchester) has had a winning season in the last 40 years ? We were fairly good mid 60s but haven't heard how they have done since moving away.
Just looked at their records for the past 4 or 5 years and it's not been good. I think they could have some success this season as they are now in a new Region with only (4) other teams they are Shelbyville, Lebanon, Warren Co. & Cookeville.

Keep in mind they are in the highest Classification in Tennessee HS Football Class 6A

They were in a region that included all four Murfreesboro teams Blackman, Oakland, Riverdale and Siegal along with Rockvale, and Warren County.

Just looked at their records for the past 4 or 5 years and it's not been good. I think they could have some success this season as they are now in a new Region with only (4) other teams they are Shelbyville, Lebanon, Warren Co. & Cookeville.

Keep in mind they are in the highest Classification in Tennessee HS Football Class 6A

They were in a region that included all four Murfreesboro teams Blackman, Oakland, Riverdale and Siegal along with Rockvale, and Warren County.

And that is why it has not been good. Blackman, Oakland, Riverdale AND Siegal? That is a tough draw.

Reactions: CagleMtnVol
When I was in high school, our team lost to the Arkansas School for the Deaf. We were a tiny little private school and they played 8 man football. Last I heard, they had to drop football because they couldn’t find 8 students who wanted to play anymore.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
Don't know about the state, but in Northeast TN it's probably Sullivan East. They won 1 game this year, and I think they only won 3 or 4 last year.

Both Maryville and Alcoa were strong in late 60s. Tornadoes had a great bball team that could play with anybody. Went to Knoxville West, which seemed to be at bottom of heap at time. Oddly, Catholic was a small program.I hink Webb's program was in its first 10 years

Knoxville Catholic only had BB back in the 60s. I think their first season of football was firing up in the spring of 1977. That spring, they came down to Vonore, and had a three way scrimmage with the Blue Devils, and Greenback. I was on the Greenback team that year, and most of us did not even know Catholic was going to be there, until the coaches told us as he were leaving to go down there.

Their first few seasons were rough. They played their home games at an old stadium close to the old campus on the east side of Knoxville. But by the mid 80s, they started building something. Greenback had some heated rivalries before the Blount County schools consolidated, and have since had heated rivalries with CAK, Oneida, Coalfield, Midway, Harriman and a few others. But there was good old fashioned hate between Greenback and Knoxville Catholic before they moved up in classification. Probably the second most hated rival Greenback ever had.

As to Webb, I always remember the Spartans having a good program. We never played or scrimmaged them during my days, but they had some good players back in the 70s. Billy Arbo is the main one that comes to mind.

Alcoa Basketball? Yeah, they have always been great. Vernon Osborne was a damn good coach.

Knoxville Catholic only had BB back in the 60s. I think their first season of football was firing up in the spring of 1977. That spring, they came down to Vonore, and had a three way scrimmage with the Blue Devils, and Greenback. I was on the Greenback team that year, and most of us did not even know Catholic was going to be there, until the coaches told us as he were leaving to go down there.

Their first few seasons were rough. They played their home games at an old stadium close to the old campus on the east side of Knoxville. But by the mid 80s, they started building something. Greenback had some heated rivalries before the Blount County schools consolidated, and have since had heated rivalries with CAK, Oneida, Coalfield, Midway, Harriman and a few others. But there was good old fashioned hate between Greenback and Knoxville Catholic before they moved up in classification. Probably the second most hated rival Greenback ever had.

As to Webb, I always remember the Spartans having a good program. We never played or scrimmaged them during my days, but they had some good players back in the 70s. Billy Arbo is the main one that comes to mind.

Alcoa Basketball? Yeah, they have always been great. Vernon Osborne was a damn good coach.
osborne was legend, watchex/played aganst alcoa tems 66,67,68. had several close friends who payedat webb

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Last Friday I saw probably the worst team I have seen in the last 25 years. In my opinion they didn't have bad players it was just a bad coached team. Penalties, appearing to lineup wrong and being out of shape.

Reactions: chuckiepoo

VN Store

Back