Worst football program in the state?

Coalfield is usually a strong 1A program. But they are located close enough to Oak Ridge that some players might transfer in. But the rest?Sunbright ( the one yet mentioned) might be competitive every once in awhile. But since the Coalmines and Brushy Mountain closed? Not all that many good jobs to keep those schools competitive.
Coalfield is the only one there that can have talent.

My alma mater, Cumberland County High School in Crossville, has 8 wins 2011-2019. Winless last 3 seasons. Hired another head coach recently. Miserable football program. :confused::mad::(

My alma mater, Cumberland County High School in Crossville, has 8 wins 2011-2019. Winless last 3 seasons. Hired another head coach recently. Miserable football program. :confused::mad::(

Mind boggling that they have been that bad for so long. Red Boiling Springs is bad, but not that bad.

Reactions: feathersax
Amazing bad, especially since we've had some terrific teams. Curt Watson, the "Crossville Comet", was a Vol star & there were more. No explanation WHY it became so wretched. Must be the culture of the school & community.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Amazing bad, especially since we've had some terrific teams. Curt Watson, the "Crossville Comet", was a Vol star & there were more. No explanation WHY it became so wretched. Must be the culture of the school & community.

The difference between a winning and losing HS program is two pronged. The first is internal and the other is external. 1) Have a head coach the players truly respect, and knows what it takes to build a program. 2. Having a group of boosters to build the culture, make the program valued, and work to finance it, so the players are in the weight room instead of doing fund raisers. You might make some noise every now and again with one or the other, but with both? You can build a dynasty.

The difference between a winning and losing HS program is two pronged. The first is internal and the other is external. 1) Have a head coach the players truly respect, and knows what it takes to build a program. 2. Having a group of boosters to build the culture, make the program valued, and work to finance it, so the players are in the weight room instead of doing fund raisers. You might make some noise every now and again with one or the other, but with both? You can build a dynasty.
Agreed, & I believe other factors are weak administrations & lack of community interest. I've not lived in Crossville since 1979, but it's still "home". One of my school friends at CCHS was Curt Watson, the "Crossville Comet".

Agreed, & I believe other factors are weak administrations & lack of community interest. I've not lived in Crossville since 1979, but it's still "home". One of my school friends at CCHS was Curt Watson, the "Crossville Comet".

I remember him. Helluva player. Weak administrations? Lack of community interest? Those issues go away quickly, or at least they get the Hell out of the way if you have the coaches and booster group. They can be made non factors simply through force of will and persistence. Much to learn from Field of Dreams. If you build it, they will come.

Brentwood High. We have as much resources as anyone and plenty of talent but have managed one state championship in 36 years. There is no reason some backwater, poor peoples' schools in Rutherford and Blount Counties should have more success than the Bruins.

Brentwood High. We have as much resources as anyone and plenty of talent but have managed one state championship in 36 years. There is no reason some backwater, poor peoples' schools in Rutherford and Blount Counties should have more success than the Bruins.

This is "worst football program" in the state, not "perceived underachieving" football program in the state lol. Brentwood beat my alma mater a few weeks ago 55-17, and we have won 2 state championships in the last decade. Brentwood isn't elite, but they are a very, very solid 6A program.

Reactions: ACvol3
Are Rutherford and Blount Counties really for “backwater and poor people”?

<<<<------HHS grad here :)

Would love to see that program back where it was in the late 80's.

We won 6 games my 3 years playing.
I remember Heritage when they were a decent team. I went to Greenback. We beat y'all in my senior year (1987) in the Jamboree at Alcoa 7-6. I have a lot of great friends that played football at Heritage. That was my crew for many years. We were a tight-knit mix of Greenback, Heritage and Alcoa boys.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
As a Basin grad this bring a smile to my face even though the kitties were not our rivals when I was in school(late 80's, early 90's.)
As a Polk County grad, it definitely doesn't put a smile on my face they are this bad, but it is what it is. Basin was considered a bigger rival when I was in school, but McMinn Central was close. The Polk/Basin game goes through phases where its played and then not, which I've always thought was weird.

I went to Wartburg Central and mind you, I have lived in Florida since graduating from there in 86. One year and I was in band so we were at all the games, They didn't score a single point until the fifth game of the season! It was a rushing touchdown. Not only did the WHOLE football team flood the field but it also emptied the bleachers! Penalty, penalty, penalty! It was worth it though, they beat North Green 12-0.
But also, I still follow the high school sports and last season, a small school in the same county, Oakdale. And I say this with admiration. They had to forfeit several games because they only had 11 people on the roster so they all had to go both ways. One got a minor injury but there was no one to sub for him. I admire that. I do remember a trip there and they have built a new school since then but as they were in our county and a rival, the first time I ever went, the football field was next to a cow pasture with cows. When a team scored in that endzone, they had to walk the whole length of the field to try the extra point. It was the same for Field Goal attempts.

I went to Wartburg Central and mind you, I have lived in Florida since graduating from there in 86. One year and I was in band so we were at all the games, They didn't score a single point until the fifth game of the season! It was a rushing touchdown. Not only did the WHOLE football team flood the field but it also emptied the bleachers! Penalty, penalty, penalty! It was worth it though, they beat North Green 12-0.
But also, I still follow the high school sports and last season, a small school in the same county, Oakdale. And I say this with admiration. They had to forfeit several games because they only had 11 people on the roster so they all had to go both ways. One got a minor injury but there was no one to sub for him. I admire that. I do remember a trip there and they have built a new school since then but as they were in our county and a rival, the first time I ever went, the football field was next to a cow pasture with cows. When a team scored in that endzone, they had to walk the whole length of the field to try the extra point. It was the same for Field Goal attempts.
That is a great story, even if at expense of my North Greene peeps. 🙂

Reactions: RiotVol
My daughter goes to school there. They lack confidence more than talent. The other HS in Crossville (Stone Memorial) has had undefeated regular seasons with similar talent.

RBS or Pickett County are easily the historically worst programs in the state. Both are small Basketball schools with very few players (15-20)

VN Store

Back