Tennessee Lady Vol News

My thinking is that the starting five should be better just on experience alone. I think Dye is capable of taking up the points and rebounds we'll miss from Davis. Key and Horston are certainly players we need a lot more from both scoring and efficiency in scoring. The bench will be far better and capable of relieving the starter from playing the amount of minutes they had to play last season. I think this is Kellie's best team of the three since she has been here. If Burrell can have the same season as last and Dye brings the same she gave at Troy then were in for a great season.

My thinking is that the starting five should be better just on experience alone. I think Dye is capable of taking up the points and rebounds we'll miss from Davis. Key and Horston are certainly players we need a lot more from both scoring and efficiency in scoring. The bench will be far better and capable of relieving the starter from playing the amount of minutes they had to play last season. I think this is Kellie's best team of the three since she has been here. If Burrell can have the same season as last and Dye brings the same she gave at Troy then were in for a great season.

I agree! I think Davis just had that “it” factor like you knew you had her in your team. I think her production can be made up by committee. Let’s start with walker if she can average like 8 pts (+3 from last season), Key 12 ppg (+ 3 from last year) Horston 12 ppg (+3 from last year), and if Dye could give us 8 ppg that would make up the points Davis brought by committee but you also have Suarez who can easily average 6 ppg (+2 from last year) who could help make up the loss. if they all did that 19 points right there with just a little improvement from those players. Now, that’s if they each did what they did last year and then a little more. That’s not to mention if Rae improves her scoring average and the freshman contribute these would all be bonuses and we would actually have a higher scoring team. I think they can make up Kasi’s production but it’s her toughness and grit that will be missed by KK!

All this to say this team has potential and i look forward to the season!

Kaiya, Striplin, Puckett,,,,watch out for the rooks

From what I've seen of Dye, she's a completely different player than Davis. She's more physical on the interior but non-existent outside. She gives up some athleticism and length but compensates with strength and toughness.

I'd love to say we can plug Dye for Davis and roll. The stats don't bear that out. Even against lesser competition Dye is a step below Davis in almost every category including the ones I consider most important: points per play, points per scoring attempt, FT%, player efficiency rating, player offensive rating, player defensive rating, turnover rate. The only important stat where Dye is better is rebounding.

All this to say, I think we will see some unavoidable drop-off in our defense and we will have to make up for that through increased efficiency on offense through reduced turnovers, better shot selection, and better shooting percentages. We can't put out a lineup that shoots a poor percentage and expect to improve over last year.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK

Texas and Stanford should at least 12000 fans and South Florida will not be an easy game they are always a very good team.

This schedule is already an uptick from last season. Kellie has put her fingerprints on the schedule and now your seeing Holly’s opponents going out and Kellies coming in. This also doesn’t include of course Uconn which adds to the SoS. These opponents alone with the SEC will probably add to that and the out of conference schedule isn’t even complete yet. I think Kellie is exposing her team to different styles of play to prepare for the SEC and March. We also do not know our opponent for the SEC/Big12 match up (if we are in rotation this year to play).... I would love to see an Iowa St or Baylor just to see a different team. ISU would make us have us defending the 3pt line and going against another top player with a different type tool set. If we aren’t in it i would imagine we see another quality opponent.

All this to say it’s exciting times. Hopefully a better schedule will entice more top recruits here as well 😃

From what I've seen of Dye, she's a completely different player than Davis. She's more physical on the interior but non-existent outside. She gives up some athleticism and length but compensates with strength and toughness.

I'd love to say we can plug Dye for Davis and roll. The stats don't bear that out. Even against lesser competition Dye is a step below Davis in almost every category including the ones I consider most important: points per play, points per scoring attempt, FT%, player efficiency rating, player offensive rating, player defensive rating, turnover rate. The only important stat where Dye is better is rebounding.

All this to say, I think we will see some unavoidable drop-off in our defense and we will have to make up for that through increased efficiency on offense through reduced turnovers, better shot selection, and better shooting percentages. We can't put out a lineup that shoots a poor percentage and expect to improve over last year.

That’s the great thing no one player can or will make up for RD. I don’t think (well hope) anyone thinks Dye will take over her complete stats. But collectively if everyone does a little better the overall team will improve and may not be so dependent on a player. The good thing too is the bench should be deeper regardless :) we averaged 71 ppg i think seeing a 4-5 point increase is well within their realm and hopefully their will be more team defense and i think that’s where Dye can really help along with Kaiya l

We also should remember 6-2 Davis was a long and athletic player with a very good skill set. Can 6-0 Dye replace Davis ? we don`t know. Also what some forget if you look at the other teams in the SEC they all will be better then last year.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Davis was a wing player. Dye will be a four and be near the basket exclusively. She is taking over KK's role in the high post. Not fair to ask her to score at Davis's pace. Scoring and rebounding we need from her for sure. We know Rae will be one of the wings. Hopefully, she will be able to do at least what she did last year. If she does more, it will be a nice bonus. Question is: Who replaces Davis on the other wing? Puckett? Wynn? Marta? Horston?

The poster who said Davis lost production will have to be made up by committee has it right, I think. Key is capable of scoring more, so is Walker and Horston.

Dye put up 16.6 points and 12.6 rebounds in 27 minutes of play on .495 percent shooting and .737 from the line. That was good for 464 points on 412 shot attempts. That is a 1.13 points per attempts. .61 points per minute played.

Davis went for 17.3 points and 8.8 rebounds in 32 minutes of play on .480 percent shooting and .853 from the line. That was good for 415 points on 327 shot attempts. That is a 1.27 points per attempt. .54 points per minute played.

Dye has a little less overall scoring efficiency per shot attempt than Davis but a better points scored per minute played. I don't know if we can get out of Dye what she did at Troy last season, but if we do it certainly is totally Offensively covering what Davis gave us to a very high percentage.

If she has the same kind of year along with an almost certain better contribution from an upgraded bench we should definitely and agree have to be better offensively next season. I think we should be capable of close to 80 ppg up from 72 last season. We really need to get 15 out of the center position and the same from the four. I think Burrell 17 and backups have to get us 23 out of the three and we need 18 out of the two position which should feature scorers like Wynn and hopefully an improved Horston. That leaves 9 for the point position which is definitely our weakest position going into the season.

Where we have to improve over last season is at center where Key has to get into double digits as a scorer.

Our efficiency as a team was 1.14 and we need to get that up to at least a 1.20 and hopefully a few more shots at the basket. 63 shots needs to increase to around 70 per game and .440 percent from the field needs to get to around 46 percent. We shot free throws at 71 percent would hope for 75 and we went for 16 free throws a game would love to get that up to around 20.

We lost the shots attempted category way to often in games last season. Just improving this and the minimal improvements in the other categories mentioned would result in several more wins.

Dye put up 16.6 points and 12.6 rebounds in 27 minutes of play on .495 percent shooting and .737 from the line. That was good for 464 points on 412 shot attempts. That is a 1.13 points per attempts. .61 points per minute played.

Against competition not as tough as SEC. Hope those stats will translate, but doubt it. Don't think you can count on it. Agree with you about Key.

Against competition not as tough as SEC. Hope those stats will translate, but doubt it. Don't think you can count on it. Agree with you about Key.
Against the two SEC opponents they played Miss St and LSU she went 21 for 38 for 55 percent. A small sample but she did well when she had the opportunity.

We also should remember 6-2 Davis was a long and athletic player with a very good skill set. Can 6-0 Dye replace Davis ? we don`t know. Also what some forget if you look at the other teams in the SEC they all will be better then last year.

So are we going to be worse? What’s your take🤔

I was a big fan of the Dye signing...still am. I think she will help make up for the loss of Davis more than any of the other players on the roster that will be stepping into new or expanded roles.

I've watched a handful of Troy's games over the last 6 years whenever they are playing one of the better teams. Their style of play is consistently the same no matter who the personnel is. On offense, they quick shoot the ball, all 5 players crash the boards leading to a lot of offensive boards, and they are very difficult to defend because there is no rhyme/reason to their offense...very Helter Skelter and face paced style of play. On defense, they pack the paint and dare you to shoot from outside, which is why teams usually hit a ton of 3's against them if they have the shooters.

I bring this up because this is the style in which Alexus thrived in, and she will need to transition to a more deliberate offense and a more demanding defense. I think that will be the biggest litmus test for how much she can fill in for Rennia.

So are we going to be worse? What’s your take🤔

I know this wasn't to me, but I'll throw in my 2 cents. I think they will be worse, because Rennia will not be easily replaced...even by committee. She is the best player to suit up for Tennessee since Glory Johnson/Shekinna Stricklen IMO, and that's a big loss for the team. Beyond her stats was her ability to hit big clutch shots and to take up the attention of the best defensive player on the opposing team. Rae is going to get that person now and will generally be the perimeter focus of the opponent's defensive efforts (likely along with Key). So I don't think they will be a "bad" team per se, but I don't think they have the ceiling that last year's team did. And that's even if Dye replicates 70% of her stats from Troy. Unless there's significant improvement from Walker/Horston, then I think the backcourt will be a significant weakness for the team that will catch up with them as the season progresses.

VN Store

Back