Tennessee Lady Vol News

Just a little extra context. Dye practically shot 0 threes (1 total in the last 2 years). If you compare 2P% Dye is 49.0% and Davis is 54.8%.
Still so close that not much extra help needed to take up the slack. If were not getting huge improvement from returning players like Key and Horston not going to be much better even with the better bench.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
When a non Power 5 team is one of your three big games to sell tickets, you should have just listed 2.
I think they listed them because they are a team that is definitely scheduled. I don't think it was meant to imply it was one of the biggest games. Schedule is incomplete and we don't know who we'll be playing in the other home games.

When a non Power 5 team is one of your three big games to sell tickets, you should have just listed 2.

I would like to hear your thoughts after you have played them. In the 'Way too Early Top25" the Lady Vols are ranked 18 and right behind them is USF at 19. They play a very European style unlike almost any other team. While their backyard is a great recruiting area, they recruit all over the world (Spain, Belgium, Croatia, Czech Republic, Portugal, Italy, PR, and Greece). So you haven't heard of their players and Jose Fernandez is a top level coach. You better hope your team doesn't go into the game with the same unwarranted disdain you have.

I would like to hear your thoughts after you have played them. In the 'Way too Early Top25" the Lady Vols are ranked 18 and right behind them is USF at 19. They play a very European style unlike almost any other team. While their backyard is a great recruiting area, they recruit all over the world (Spain, Belgium, Croatia, Czech Republic, Portugal, Italy, PR, and Greece). So you haven't heard of their players and Jose Fernandez is a top level coach. You better hope your team doesn't go into the game with the same unwarranted disdain you have.

Our coach has learned from the PAT SUMMITT! Pat wanted her teams to play national championship style ball and do the LV way even if they were playing the worst team on their schedule I am pretty Kellie scheduled this team knowing that they will give us a different style of play to face and does not take this opponent for granted. She has been stated saying let’s not beat a team just because we are bigger or stronger but beat them doing the things that championship teams do. It’s a mind set i believe she is getting across to her players.

Our coach has learned from the PAT SUMMITT! Pat wanted her teams to play national championship style ball and do the LV way even if they were playing the worst team on their schedule I am pretty Kellie scheduled this team knowing that they will give us a different style of play to face and does not take this opponent for granted. She has been stated saying let’s not beat a team just because we are bigger or stronger but beat them doing the things that championship teams do. It’s a mind set i believe she is getting across to her players.
I agree whole heartedly. I'm a big KJH fan and originally joined this forum to speak against the bashing she was taking here when she was first hired. My comment about having disdain for an opponent was pointed at the poster not the Lady Vols.

I agree whole heartedly. I'm a big KJH fan and originally joined this forum to speak against the bashing she was taking here when she was first hired. My comment about having disdain for an opponent was pointed at the poster not the Lady Vols.

oh no. my post was about her comment to change the scheduling but she had to play Holly’s schedule. And plus that poster probably is a casual fan anyone who watches the polls can see USF in there constantly lol

Tamari, Jessie, and the others on the VoLeaders group head out tomorrow for 10 days in Belize!

Thanks for posting this. Good reminder that these young women have lives and potential beyond (and far greater than) basketball. I can tend to lose sight of their entire college mission and experience and just focus on their contributions on the court, which is really pretty dismissive of them as persons and not just players recruited to entertain us.

Having said that, I have enjoyed this thread's recent analysis of the various on-court combinations for the upcoming season. Interesting and informed comments from lots of folks here. Looking forward to seeing the progress this season as a team and individuals.

Last edited:
July 1st is supposed to be the deadline date for players to transfer. I noticed that a lot of SEC school have put up their rosters for next season will be able to better relate to the rosters and their potential for next season in a few days.

I'm watching Mercedes Russell playing for Seattle against Las Vegas. She looks like a completely different player (And it's not the tats). She's moving exceptionally well.

I'm watching Mercedes Russell playing for Seattle against Las Vegas. She looks like a completely different player (And it's not the tats). She's moving exceptionally well.
if she played like that when she was at TN we might have made a Final Four....idk could be that tat sleeve

Reactions: volnationnj
Athletes do often improve with age and experience, becoming more self-assured and confident once they are fully, finally aware they're adults whose job IS the sport. It's also worth noting that professional athletes' primary focus is sport,while the college athlete has to split their attention between studies and sport. As a pro, Mercedes is now more mature, stronger, healthier, coached by professionals and able to focus on basketball. What former college player that has been playing regularly in the pros for several years HASN'T improved? Anyone?

don't agree.
Someone who knows movement and hip-to-knee/ratio mechanics worked with her.
So someone taught her how to control her body? Sounds like what I said. Doesn't matter how she learned, she grew into her body and learned how to control and use it fluidly.

MR was gassed half the time she played for us. She was dominant when rested. Her frame want designed to play 37 minutes of a 40 minute game. She should have had a breather built into each quarter.

MR was gassed half the time she played for us. She was dominant when rested. Her frame want designed to play 37 minutes of a 40 minute game. She should have had a breather built into each quarter.

Maybe, but she never moved well while here. It seemed more than injury. Glad she has developed though.

She's the only women's coach I can think of who could step into a men's game huddle and really get their attention through force of will and professional respect. There are other great coaches in the sport, absolutely, but such was her legend that I imagine even NBA players would at least stand a little straighter until she looked away. Well, I mean, Hammond seems to have done well at San Antonio, definitely, but it wouldn't be quite the same.

VN Store

Back