Tennessee Lady Vol News

Dye put up 16.6 points and 12.6 rebounds in 27 minutes of play on .495 percent shooting and .737 from the line. That was good for 464 points on 412 shot attempts. That is a 1.13 points per attempts. .61 points per minute played.

Davis went for 17.3 points and 8.8 rebounds in 32 minutes of play on .480 percent shooting and .853 from the line. That was good for 415 points on 327 shot attempts. That is a 1.27 points per attempt. .54 points per minute played.

Just a little extra context. Dye practically shot 0 threes (1 total in the last 2 years). If you compare 2P% Dye is 49.0% and Davis is 54.8%.

From what I've seen of Dye, she's a completely different player than Davis. She's more physical on the interior but non-existent outside. She gives up some athleticism and length but compensates with strength and toughness.

I'd love to say we can plug Dye for Davis and roll. The stats don't bear that out. Even against lesser competition Dye is a step below Davis in almost every category including the ones I consider most important: points per play, points per scoring attempt, FT%, player efficiency rating, player offensive rating, player defensive rating, turnover rate. The only important stat where Dye is better is rebounding.

All this to say, I think we will see some unavoidable drop-off in our defense and we will have to make up for that through increased efficiency on offense through reduced turnovers, better shot selection, and better shooting percentages. We can't put out a lineup that shoots a poor percentage and expect to improve over last year.

one name: Kaiya Wynn

she's the real deal in a SF role....won't be long before we say Rennia who?
(And I am a "Legend" fan,,,so for me to say this is quite a statement)

She and Karo will compete for starting spots from week one of the regular season...you heard it here

I was a big fan of the Dye signing...still am. I think she will help make up for the loss of Davis more than any of the other players on the roster that will be stepping into new or expanded roles.

I've watched a handful of Troy's games over the last 6 years whenever they are playing one of the better teams. Their style of play is consistently the same no matter who the personnel is. On offense, they quick shoot the ball, all 5 players crash the boards leading to a lot of offensive boards, and they are very difficult to defend because there is no rhyme/reason to their offense...very Helter Skelter and face paced style of play. On defense, they pack the paint and dare you to shoot from outside, which is why teams usually hit a ton of 3's against them if they have the shooters.

I bring this up because this is the style in which Alexus thrived in, and she will need to transition to a more deliberate offense and a more demanding defense. I think that will be the biggest litmus test for how much she can fill in for Rennia.

I know this wasn't to me, but I'll throw in my 2 cents. I think they will be worse, because Rennia will not be easily replaced...even by committee. She is the best player to suit up for Tennessee since Glory Johnson/Shekinna Stricklen IMO, and that's a big loss for the team. Beyond her stats was her ability to hit big clutch shots and to take up the attention of the best defensive player on the opposing team. Rae is going to get that person now and will generally be the perimeter focus of the opponent's defensive efforts (likely along with Key). So I don't think they will be a "bad" team per se, but I don't think they have the ceiling that last year's team did. And that's even if Dye replicates 70% of her stats from Troy. Unless there's significant improvement from Walker/Horston, then I think the backcourt will be a significant weakness for the team that will catch up with them as the season progresses.
I agree with your thought process about why you think we will be worse. I do think Rennia is unbelievably talented and was a huge piece for us last year. I happen to think we will be better. Kellie's offense is heavily focused on spacing and movement (something we didn't see under Holly). Within her offense, there isn't a whole lot of isolation/one on one plays. We aren't the most athletic team in the SEC and I honestly don't think we are in the top 3 if you are looking at just athleticism/ability for players to break down a defender. If you go back and watch Kellie's Missouri State team, it was clear that they were an offensive unit -they played team basketball especially on the offensive side of the floor. I think Puckett/Striplin will absolutely thrive at the 4 position in her offense. I loved KK, but she was not a 4 and was definitely not a 4 in Kellie's system. When Puckett/Striplin/Dye are at the position, they will be able to consistently hit the mid range jumper and defenses won't be able to sag in the paint off any of them. I think we will see a more fluid offense and it will really start to bloom having a 4 that can stretch defenses (a healthy Marta showed us how valuable this can be). I also think Jordan Walker does not get near the love she deserves, she is one of absolute toughest kids in the SEC and has no fear. There were several possessions in the Michigan game where she got matched up with Hillman and either took a charge or got a steal (and was very physical with her). I think she, and the rest of the returners, will make a huge leap and we will be vastly improved over last year, Kellie has already demonstrated that she can develop players. A better Hortson/Burrell/Key/Walker and freshman that really fit Kellie's system well - I think we are in great shape for next year and will be able to compete with the best. Maybe I'm too optimistic, but I think some of you will be surprised.

I agree with your thought process about why you think we will be worse. I do think Rennia is unbelievably talented and was a huge piece for us last year. I happen to think we will be better. Kellie's offense is heavily focused on spacing and movement (something we didn't see under Holly). Within her offense, there isn't a whole lot of isolation/one on one plays. We aren't the most athletic team in the SEC and I honestly don't think we are in the top 3 if you are looking at just athleticism/ability for players to break down a defender. If you go back and watch Kellie's Missouri State team, it was clear that they were an offensive unit -they played team basketball especially on the offensive side of the floor. I think Puckett/Striplin will absolutely thrive at the 4 position in her offense. I loved KK, but she was not a 4 and was definitely not a 4 in Kellie's system. When Puckett/Striplin/Dye are at the position, they will be able to consistently hit the mid range jumper and defenses won't be able to sag in the paint off any of them. I think we will see a more fluid offense and it will really start to bloom having a 4 that can stretch defenses (a healthy Marta showed us how valuable this can be). I also think Jordan Walker does not get near the love she deserves, she is one of absolute toughest kids in the SEC and has no fear. There were several possessions in the Michigan game where she got matched up with Hillman and either took a charge or got a steal (and was very physical with her). I think she, and the rest of the returners, will make a huge leap and we will be vastly improved over last year, Kellie has already demonstrated that she can develop players. A better Hortson/Burrell/Key/Walker and freshman that really fit Kellie's system well - I think we are in great shape for next year and will be able to compete with the best. Maybe I'm too optimistic, but I think some of you will be surprised.
I also believe we will be better. Rennia will be sorely missed to be sure, but there were times that Rennia was replied upon too much, i.e. standing around watching her make a play, that was to the detriment of the team. especially when she was having an off game. Even though Rae and Horston will be counted on the most to deliver, I see our team being more balanced overall, and someone having an off game will be easily offset by in-game decisions and counter moves by CKH. I think she will have more options to go to. Also, while KK was a big force inside defensively, she was often a liability on offense. Hopefully we will have a healthy Green and Suarez with Striplin competing as well. I have a feeling some of the other freshman will contribute more than expected, too. I have a good feeling about the direction of the program and hopefully recruiting will continue to trend upwards.

We have 4 options at PG, depending on match-ups, etc - Walker, Miles, Horston, Rennie. We have 6 options on the wings - Rae, Marta, Kaiya, Horston, Puckett, Darby. And we have 5 of options at the four: Horston, Green, Puckett, Dye, Striplin, and four options at the 5 - Key, Saunders, Striplin, Green. Does anyone see these differently?

That's a lot of options, a lot of mix and match possibilities.

We have 4 options at PG, depending on match-ups, etc - Walker, Miles, Horston, Rennie. We have 6 options on the wings - Rae, Marta, Kaiya, Horston, Puckett, Darby. And we have 5 of options at the four: Horston, Green, Puckett, Dye, Striplin, and four options at the 5 - Key, Saunders, Striplin, Green. Does anyone see these differently?

I agree there are a lot of options and it will all come down to which team we play. Let`s just say it`s Old Miss then we are looking at a matchup problem across the board i think other then Key at the 5.

I haven't considered Rennie a PG. I also don't see Puckett as a 4 nor Striplin as a 5.

Rae and Horston can guard anyone in the SEC in the 1-4 positions.

Not saying they can`t in the SEC i`m just saying it depends on the team we matchup against. Note every matchup is different. Even Key has matchup problems outside of the post area.

Reactions: 37620VOL
We have 4 options at PG, depending on match-ups, etc - Walker, Miles, Horston, Rennie.

200w.gif

this

Rennie is a 2...period
Puckett is a stretch-four
Striplin is a PF in the Karl Malone mold...she can play the 5 but not a true 5
I am thinking Marta Suarez would play the point before Jessie Rennie and that is a stretch. Just because she is 5-8 does not make her a point guard. J.S.

Reactions: youcancallmeAl
I question if you follow WBB if you dont know that South Florida is a tough opponent and were ranked in the #10-15 area last season ..also nearly beat Baylor ya know the team that went to the Elite 8
Agreed! USF is a fearsome matchup. I guarantee you that you will never be so angry at the refs as you will be at USF. They hammer you and hammer you and are not without skill of their own. I would never chalk a visit to Tampa as a win until the game was over.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
I am thinking Marta Suarez would play the point before Jessie Rennie and that is a stretch. Just because she is 5-8 does not make her a point guard. J.S.

Marta is the most intriguing player, for me, this season,,,Will her potential and skill-set be matched with a more honed body and will she find a way to bridle that "pedal to the medal - all the time" mentality like Rae began to do in her 2nd year?...If so, she will be an instrumental part of the team..if not, she will get passed-by by several under-class players.

I question if you follow WBB if you dont know that South Florida is a tough opponent and were ranked in the #10-15 area last season ..also nearly beat Baylor ya know the team that went to the Elite 8

When a non Power 5 team is one of your three big games to sell tickets, you should have just listed 2.

VN Store

Back