Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate to be the one to argue with you but I will be that guy. Your grandmother stayed home with the kids most likely-no daycare costs. There was no internet, cell phones, or cable- subtract that from your monthly expenses. The family mostly likely had 1 car or a second cheap car that was paid for. People paid for their cars, not finance them. Take away your car(s) notes. Houses were smaller with usually only 1 bath- cut your house not in half. Debt was considered a bad thing and most did not have anything financed. Now after you gave up all the modern day “requirements”, you too could raise a family and buy a house on one income with no problem.
I'm a millennial and I agree with this. There has also been a wage vs. Basket of goods issue but the American dream has changed to be larger than it was. I'll also say that the average hours per week was over 50 while us millennials complain about 35. Do I find value in a life work balance? Yes but it comes at a cost and that's a lower salary for less production. It's a hard issue because it's layered but the complaint about achieving the American dream is a silly one by my generation. Jmo.

I think I did the math last year and realized I could stop coaching and earn more with the benefits. Of course you know what I did….

Kept coaching and took on a second job
My boss offered to lay me off last May till this was over because he knew I could get more by not working..

I did the same thing as you, while also knowing I was going to be ferrying dozens of people to Covid tests. I didn't take on a second job though.

I'm a millennial and I agree with this. There has also been a wage vs. Basket of goods issue but the American dream has changed to be larger than it was. I'll also say that the average hours per week was over 50 while us millennials complain about 35. Do I find value in a life work balance? Yes but it comes at a cost and that's a lower salary for less production. It's a hard issue because it's layered but the complaint about achieving the American dream is a silly one by my generation. Jmo.

There's a lot of generalizing about what "millennials" want, and all the "things" that they want to force on other people. I'm not seeing many specifics, especially not in this thread. I guarantee you, most of the things people want are basic.

Part of the problem is that we have become such an instant gratification society. We have information at our fingertips. We can order practically anything we want from toilet paper to a vehicle and have it delivered to our house without getting our fat azzes off the couch. Covid probably hurt too because it showed people that they can get about the same amount done in less time from home. Now business are wanting people to return to the office and we have gotten soft by not having to commute for over a year and we want to keep working in our jammies. I am headed back to the office next week. I don't want to but I also just got a nice promotion and a pay bump so back to the office I go. If we don't get away from the idea that we have to have everything we want immediately then we will continue to struggle with wanting more for less.

Like I say...People are stupid. The libs win them over with promises of utopia, what the idiots don't realize is that Utopia looks like the USSR. The party elite pigs get it all, and the working party horse gets truly and utterly worked to death.
What are these promises of "Utopia" that the libs are making? Especially the ones that look like the USSR?

I think I did the math last year and realized I could stop coaching and earn more with the benefits. Of course you know what I did….

Kept coaching and took on a second job
Exactly, but where there’s one that won’t there’s a hundred that will, our generation is a dying breed in this country.

There's a lot of generalizing about what "millennials" want, and all the "things" that they want to force on other people. I'm not seeing many specifics, especially not in this thread. I guarantee you, most of the things people want are basic.

The millennial generation is growing up now and starting to see how life really works. The generation immediately following the millennials is who is entering the soft phase. It has always been a generational cycle that people go through. Our parents take care of us when we are young....we get to our teens/20s and think we know everything.... we hit our 30s/40s and life gets real and we start to understand that stuff ain't free... we get past 50 or 60 and we start complaining about how the younger generations are screwing it all up. However, now the younger generations have social media and they can complain from a much taller soapbox and they have a megaphone to make their complaining louder and we have pandering politicians that want to give them everything they ask for instead of giving them what is best for them.

Part of the problem is that we have become such an instant gratification society. We have information at our fingertips. We can order practically anything we want from toilet paper to a vehicle and have it delivered to our house without getting our fat azzes off the couch. Covid probably hurt too because it showed people that they can get about the same amount done in less time from home. Now business are wanting people to return to the office and we have gotten soft by not having to commute for over a year and we want to keep working in our jammies. I am headed back to the office next week. I don't want to but I also just got a nice promotion and a pay bump so back to the office I go. If we don't get away from the idea that we have to have everything we want immediately then we will continue to struggle with wanting more for less.

If I can do my job effectively without being in an office, especially if I've done my job consistently over the course of a year from my home, why should I want to go back to the office? That's inefficient. I waste time on the commute, I waste money on gas and the general upkeep of a vehicle which only gets exponentially more expensive with each passing day. I would also waste the company money for utilities and rent. What is the benefit of going back to the office?

If I can do my job effectively without being in an office, especially if I've done my job consistently over the course of a year from my home, why should I want to go back to the office? That's inefficient. I waste time on the commute, I waste money on gas and the general upkeep of a vehicle which only gets exponentially more expensive with each passing day. I would also waste the company money for utilities and rent. What is the benefit of going back to the office?

If your company says "We are gonna need you back in the office", you either go back to the office or find another job that will let you work from home. We have been offered a hybrid schedule for now. We'll see how it goes.

I agree that I am just as if not more productive from home. I also know that my wife would prefer it if I got out of the house every now and then. I am on her turf and momma ain't happy.

Oh, I agree. Considering just places we’ve been so far, it’s indescribable. We have nothing in our part of the country that can compare. And the best is yet to come for us — more Utah, GT, Yellowstone, Glacier and Montana, SD.
But that’s comparing a region of the US to lil ole Smokies and BRP.
I was out West in 19
Zion absolutely blew me away.....Can not wait to get back that way

camaraderie, team building, and most importantly omnipresent...
F9A3C8F4-9A87-426F-8520-D3F0028365D0.gif

The millennial generation is growing up now and starting to see how life really works. The generation immediately following the millennials is who is entering the soft phase. It has always been a generational cycle that people go through. Our parents take care of us when we are young....we get to our teens/20s and think we know everything.... we hit our 30s/40s and life gets real and we start to understand that stuff ain't free... we get past 50 or 60 and we start complaining about how the younger generations are screwing it all up. However, now the younger generations have social media and they can complain from a much taller soapbox and they have a megaphone to make their complaining louder and we have pandering politicians that want to give them everything they ask for instead of giving them what is best for them.

I need specifics, not turns of phrase and platitudes. What makes these younger generations soft? How are they "screwing it all up"? Most of all, how can you say that politicians aren't giving them what they need by listening to them in this post, implying that someone other than the constituency knows what's best for the constituency, when earlier you just said that gubment doesn't know best. So who are these people that know best?

I was out West in 19
Zion absolutely blew me away.....Can not wait to get back that way
People talk about how big the sky is out there. Several things occured to me back then, when I had time to analyze, dwell, and write musings.

Aptly, it's Big Sky MT. Home to confluence of two major blue ribbon trout streams. What's indescribable is the grandeur of things. Growing up always had safety and comfort of trees to hem me in. In my twenties, was able to explore those areas. Some take the beauty of this area for granted...While I would encourage anyone to travel there, though, in terms of sheer beauty there is nothing like ETN or WNC.

You implying that people can't work together virtually? Artists, creators literally do that every day. What makes you think an office worker is incapable of that?
yes, im implying that. im one of the most introverted people I know. the idea of being around groups of people at times makes me want to walk in opposing direction. but there is no substitute for face to face human interaction, its what we were meant for.

If your company says "We are gonna need you back in the office", you either go back to the office or find another job that will let you work from home. We have been offered a hybrid schedule for now. We'll see how it goes.

I agree that I am just as if not more productive from home. I also know that my wife would prefer it if I got out of the house every now and then. I am on her turf and momma ain't happy.
Yeah, but I don't get why it's a negative thing if a company doesn't ask its workers to come back, or even if an office worker thinks it's stupid. That's not entitlement. If I can do the job effectively anywhere, why would I want to choose the least efficient means of doing it?

FTR if I was an office worker, I would probably want to work in the office.

Reactions: bparker
yes, im implying that. im one of the most introverted people I know. the idea of being around groups of people at times makes me want to walk in opposing direction. but there is no substitute for face to face human interaction, its what we were meant for.
Yeah, but I don't understand why you NEED the office space for that. If you needed to have a simple meeting you could meet at a park, or a library. I'm not an office worker, so maybe there's reasons why.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back