Reasons to think Coach Josh Heupel will move us forward

CJH will not bring us back... build a roster. That’s his job. Winning games doesn’t matter tbh.. He’s gone in 4 years. Hopefully the roster is deep when he leaves
If watching the last 5 coaching changes hasn’t shown you that everytime a coach leaves it decimates our roster then you haven’t been paying attention. If CJH builds a roster he needs to be the guy that wins with it, or they will just transfer out just like the best players did every other time we replaced a head coach. Here’s to hoping Heupel turns this ship around and wins enough games to stay here for the next 10 to 12 years.

It's not about hanging onto anything, it's just the reality of his record, and his recruiting, and every single team had to deal with covid issues, it's moot. It's not a guarantee of failure in the SEC, but I have a feeling there's going to be a lot of wailing on the forums this fall when UT fails to hang 40 points on any team outside of Tennessee Tech.
That doesn't make it moot. It makes it an outlier, which is exactly what sjt is saying.

In what way? If "decreasing" production produces 42+ ppg... I'll take it. I personally "listen" to Covid explanations for 2020 results. I don't think it excuses what we saw from Pruitt in part because problems on the field got worse as Covid got better. But Heupel did have several key players opt out. At a school almost completely dependent on developing players for two or 3 years before they play you cannot afford anything that takes 8 or 10 guys out of your 2 deep.

Gabriel was his guy... he became the starter and beat out guys that Frost left.

But it is true that when you hire a coach who has only been at their last stop for 3 years that you may not have a clear picture of their ability to recruit. OTOH... guys often do better and worse at different stops in recruiting.

I like what they've appeared to do in the portal in response to some losses he had no control over. I'm still waiting to see better results with new recruits but will wait until he's had more of a fair chance. The extended dead period coupled to the timing of his hiring really hurt. He does have some really good recruiters on staff.
His O's only scored less than 30 points 3 times in 3 years. Naturally teams score more against bad teams.... but he often scored lots of points on the better teams on his schedule.

The point is valid though that if opponents can keep his team under 30 points then they are likely to win.

He may fail. But I don't think it will be for the same reasons Jones did.
So many on here forget what Heupel did against LSU. The same LSU squad that had the 15th ranked total defense that season I believe it was that year. The same LSU roster that one the NC the following season. He put up 32 points in 15:29 seconds. LSU sat on the ball for 3 quarters. That was with UCF level talent against a roster of 4-5* future NFL draft pics. That’s some f’n coaching. He needs some defense to match his offense.

Interesting point. CJH has faced 4 P5 teams and is 2-2 as a HC. The results are:

vs Stanford (W) 45-14
vs LSU (L) 32-40

vs Stanford (W) 45-27
vs Pitt (L) 34-35

Right now I don't think there's anyone who can accurately predict how CJH will do in the SEC. And I don't think years 1-3 at UT will be much of an indication of what kind of HC he might become. My best guess is that he's a Mark Richt type who will need to learn to hire a great defensive coordinator and allow that guy to run the defense. But those guys are few and far between lately and usually end up in the HC carousel. Banks might be the guy but recruiting players at UT will be challenging for a couple of years.

His team also played Pitt in 2018.
UCF 45 - Pitt 14

Biggest misconception is Frost built the program. He was only there 2 years. You could easily say Frost won with the prior coaches recruits. Heupel was left with Frost recruits.

That doesn't make it moot. It makes it an outlier, which is exactly what sjt is saying.
UCF lost two potential starters out of 11 opt outs.

There are plenty of teams who had it far worse than UCF in terms of loss of starting talent, even though they didn't have as many players opt out.

Acting like covid is some sort of 'silver bullet' that explains away UCF's issues is laughable.

Reactions: Mtnvol80 and Remy

There are plenty of teams who had it far worse than UCF in terms of loss of starting talent, even though they didn't have as many players opt out.

Acting like covid is some sort of 'silver bullet' that explains away UCF's issues is laughable.

Acting like it wasn't an outlier year is idiotic.

I think they also had a couple out like mid season and on, because of getting into trouble......then a few more out of the bowl.

Covid shouldn’t be an excuse for anyone.....cause they all had to deal with it. However having 15 players out certainly didn’t help them.......especially given they lost 3 games by a combined 12 points (I think).

For me....I’m not trying to make excuses for their “issues”.......as personally I don’t think there was.......”an issue.”

For me (just my opinion): he took over a 13-0 team........that’s simply not going to continue......it doesn’t anywhere, not Bama, Clemson.....or anywhere.

He went 12-1.....the programs 2nd best record ever in FBS.

He went 10-3......only 4 other times a coach preformed better. Even in 2020, his worst year is really just middle of the road by program standards.......600 not like it was bad. Only 10 times had another coach done better......than his worst season.

So many on here forget what Heupel did against LSU. The same LSU squad that had the 15th ranked total defense that season I believe it was that year. The same LSU roster that one the NC the following season. He put up 32 points in 15:29 seconds. LSU sat on the ball for 3 quarters. That was with UCF level talent against a roster of 4-5* future NFL draft pics. That’s some f’n coaching. He needs some defense to match his offense.
To be fair, LSU had a BUNCH of their D not playing in that game and Burrow also put up almost 400yds passing.

Certainly UCF punched above their weight in that game but they weren't magical. LSU was missing a lot of their D line and some secondary.

You're acting like their opponents didn't have to deal with opt outs, quarantines, modified practice schedules, etc...
Yeah and not everyone experienced those things the same way.

I mean UCF was a couple plays away in each of their conference losses from being undefeated the last two years.

The real concern is why he's lost those close games. What decisions did he make that caused them to lose.

Look at his offense's production over time against teams with winning records vs those without winning records. UCF's schedule is rife with bad teams, and those offensive numbers are well-padded by it.

The real unknowns with Huepel is whether or not he is going to be able to adapt his offensive system to consistently work in the SEC, and can his defensive staff put together an actual defense which doesn't give up ~500 YPG.

Your arguments are crap and negative which is the norm for you!!! CJH's O's scored in the 30s all three times UCF played top 25 teams over the past three years. One performance was a solid one vs a very good LSU team that was ranked #11 at the time. Coach O can coach a D!!! Another 30 plus performance was against #7 Cincinnati last year (UGA didn't reach the 30 pt mark vs them in the bowl game) and beat Cincy by 3 pts. In my opinion, having a head coach with a bunch of 3 star players lead his team to a better performance offensively than a #9 SEC team is a HUGE REASON to BE OPTIMISTIC about CJH's ability to COACH UP an O!!! CJH also proved to be great offensively in the SEC while at Mizz. Yes, he had Drew Lock. But, CJH has roster of QBs where one of them should be able to put up Drew Lock numbers offensively behind the tutelage of CJH in 2022 and beyond, possibly sooner!!!

Reactions: preacherwebb
Your arguments are crap and negative which is the norm for you!!! CJH's O's scored in the 30s all three times UCF played top 25 teams over the past three years. One performance was a solid one vs a very good LSU team that was ranked #11 at the time. Coach O can coach a D!!! Another 30 plus performance was against #7 Cincinnati last year (UGA didn't reach the 30 pt mark vs them in the bowl game) and beat Cincy by 3 pts. In my opinion, having a head coach with a bunch of 3 star players lead his team to a better performance offensively than a #9 SEC team is a HUGE REASON to BE OPTIMISTIC about CJH's ability to COACH UP an O!!! CJH also proved to be great offensively in the SEC while at Mizz. Yes, he had Drew Lock. But, CJH has roster of QBs where one of them should be able to put up Drew Lock numbers offensively behind the tutelage of CJH in 2022 and beyond, possibly sooner!!!

You getting your feeling hurt by proxy? Should talk to someone about that.

I put little stock in any non-CFB bowl performance, and literally zero in this one, but if this is the one you want to hang Heupel's hat on for him, have at it.

2018 Fiesta Bowl: LSU without top three cornerbacks, load of defensive players vs. UCF

If watching the last 5 coaching changes hasn’t shown you that everytime a coach leaves it decimates our roster then you haven’t been paying attention. If CJH builds a roster he needs to be the guy that wins with it, or they will just transfer out just like the best players did every other time we replaced a head coach. Here’s to hoping Heupel turns this ship around and wins enough games to stay here for the next 10 to 12 years.
The players didn’t like Pruitt.. that’s why left.. you building a roster then hire legit coach now we talking

Good post. People don't like hearing it but Fulmer was a big part of that cancer. I think he chose Pruitt specifically because they agreed on philosophy of play.... and Fulmer never accepted that he was fired because he had not evolved with the

Fulmer is not only the largest reason we are in this mess he is the reason!

Watching him being interviewed on the sidelines of that first Orange and White game with that grin/smirk made me think he felt as though he finally got his just at the administration for firing him!

Then he was just so dejected at that last press conference! The only response he could muster was “recruiting”!

Now we see why he was fired twice. Although the President and Chancellor would have us believe that was not the case.

Reactions: sjt18
I expect "better" to start. Once we get "better" then we don't need to stop upping the expectations until we DO get back to 90's competitiveness.

I agree with you. Before that can happen however, we need the other SEC programs to slide downward as they were in the 90’s.

Unlike out former coaches, he's yet to coach a single down at UT, and some on here are already spewing nonsense about how we are going to hit 9 wins, and how Heupel is going to be a top SEC coach I no time.

All this, without him coaching, one single down of football yet at UT.
9 would get him a lot of votes for national coach or the year. Sheesh.

It’s possible to have a 3rd take. We’re going to be competitive in more games than under Pruitt, play an exciting brand of ball, and win 6-7 games this year.

Amen. The hidden problem of changing coaches has been the next guy can’t/won’t coach the roster. The attrition has been astonishing. Aside from the 4th and 5th year under Butch, the roster is split and the half the team doesn’t buy in. The portal may be a blessing because we get rid of the bad apples sooner. I have no problem giving the RiGHT coach 5-7 years. But it’s been so clear, so quickly that we kept hiring the WRONG guy. Gump refused to recruit most in state players. As a result, we are losing players to KY. He refused to address the QB position, and it cost us time after time. Heupel may not win the SEC but he will leave this team better than he found it. Baby steps.

Reactions: jarnol32

VN Store

Back