Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
So play winner of Xavier/VCU then Ok. St.,followed by Illinois, probably ? I don't like the first game playing a team that played 2 days before and won, unless it's a double OT game. I love the Ok. St. match-up, tho. Hate the way we match-up against Illinois, Kofi Cockburn will dominate us down low, imo. Plus, their guards are damn good especially what's his name (I will look it up, intials AD, I think). Sweet 16 is probably the ceiling in that bracket

Edit: yeah AD was right, Ayo Dosunmu, beast, probably an All-American, but Kofi scares me more down low. Of course, his last name is Cockburn

New Age approach to football

I heard Heupel say something about using the new age approach to football in his introductory press conference and I think I heard Golesh use the same or similar remarks. So the first thing that comes to my mind is hippies. Right? I mean what the hell is new age football? The very words made me cringe. smh.

Having no idea what that even means I figured I’d better look into it and see how weird it really was. I mean it’s who we are now, like it or not. I’d rather not be completely ignorant about it. I was imagining crystals or something. How would that work? Is Astrology involved? I needed to find out.

So this is what I’ve found so far. Pete Carroll. It’s his fault. At Seattle they don’t chew out players for making mistakes. In fact, cussing isn’t even allowed on the field. Are you serious? What happens if our players aren’t as big as Alabama’s players? We can’t shame our guys? What if they piss off a coach? Is he not allowed to threaten to cut them from the team?

That’s it. No more Mr. Badass coach. As best I can tell, that’s all it is.

Positive instruction and guidance, being empathetic I guess you might say when a kid doesn’t live up to the standard. Encouragement to continue working. Now both he and the coaches know that the best 11 guys are going to be the ones on the field but he isn’t going to be punished or treated sort of with negative reinforcement if he’s not in the 11 or gets replaced in the 11. It’s going to be pointed out what he needs to work on so he can get back into that 11 man unit.

Lest you get the wrong idea, it’s not a license to reject discipline. Accountability is maintained. It’s more about creating a positive environment and a sort of shared trust and commitment to the team’s goals between the coaches and the players. It’s not the coaches team and it’s not the player’s team. They all share “ownership” in the team and its success or lack thereof.

That’s my interpretation based on what I can find. Obviously, Heupel still has the responsibilities of a head coach and the other coaches have their responsibilities. The new age approach is how the coaches go about interacting with the players and presumably the way the players go about interacting with each other. I’m doing my best to explain this in a way that doesn’t freak you guys out. Let’s just say that after doing a bit of research I’ve come to the tentative conclusion that our coaches are probably NOT hippies. jmo.

Like I said, Pete Carroll’s Seattle Seahawks is the model for this New Age approach to football and it’s gaining increasing interest across the country, especially in NFL ranks.

In researching this I discovered that our local writers didn’t even bother trying to figure out what Josh was talking about. It appears that they assume it’s fast tempo offense and aggressive defense, like no one has ever done that before. smh. I’m pretty sure they don’t know what they’re talking about but they’re pretending like they do. They pretend a lot I think. jmo.

Would be nice to hear some news of us working the transfer portal.

I don’t know if you will until it happens. They were very hush hush about that in the defensive coach announcements..... Huepel almost slipped up (he basically said they are going to get players from the transfer portal) without actually saying it.

Pretty sure he is worried about losing competition during Spring Practice and more guys transferring if they know he is looking for guys to come in.

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX

I heard Heupel say something about using the new age approach to football in his introductory press conference and I think I heard Golesh use the same or similar remarks. So the first thing that comes to my mind is hippies. Right? I mean what the hell is new age football? The very words made me cringe. smh.

Having no idea what that even means I figured I’d better look into it and see how weird it really was. I mean it’s who we are now, like it or not. I’d rather not be completely ignorant about it. I was imagining crystals or something. How would that work? Is Astrology involved? I needed to find out.

So this is what I’ve found so far. Pete Carroll. It’s his fault. At Seattle they don’t chew out players for making mistakes. In fact, cussing isn’t even allowed on the field. Are you serious? What happens if our players aren’t as big as Alabama’s players? We can’t shame our guys? What if they piss off a coach? Is he not allowed to threaten to cut them from the team?

Positive instruction and guidance, being empathetic I guess you might say when a kid doesn’t live up to the standard. Encouragement to continue working. Now both he and the coaches know that the best 11 guys are going to be the ones on the field but he isn’t going to be punished or treated sort of with negative reinforcement if he’s not in the 11 or gets replaced in the 11. It’s going to be pointed out what he needs to work on so he can get back into that 11 man unit.

Lest you get the wrong idea, it’s not a license to reject discipline. Accountability is maintained. It’s more about creating a positive environment and a sort of shared trust and commitment to the team’s goals between the coaches and the players. It’s not the coaches team and it’s not the player’s team. They all share “ownership” in the team and its success or lack thereof.

That’s my interpretation based on what I can find. Obviously, Heupel still has the responsibilities of a head coach and the other coaches have their responsibilities. The new age approach is how the coaches go about interacting with the players and presumably the way the players go about interacting with each other. I’m doing my best to explain this in a way that doesn’t freak you guys out. Let’s just say that after doing a bit of research I’ve come to the tentative conclusion that our coaches are probably NOT hippies. jmo.

Like I said, Pete Carroll’s Seattle Seahawks is the model for this New Age approach to football and it’s gaining increasing interest across the country, especially in NFL ranks.

In researching this I discovered that our local writers didn’t even bother trying to figure out what Josh was talking about. It appears that they assume it’s fast tempo offense and aggressive defense, like no one has ever done that before. smh. I’m pretty sure they don’t know what they’re talking about but they’re pretending like they do. They pretend a lot I think. jmo.

Wow. Thanks for digging on that @ChattaTNVol !

I'm not freaking out, but it does give me a little pause. I sure hope there's a way to have both a carrot and a stick. All carrot can create an atmosphere where whining, complaining, and manipulation are mistaken for 'healthy communication'. And that's poison. Seems like a both/and not an either/or on the toughness-encouragement spectrum would have some wisdom. Pat them on the back when they're down and a kick to the seat when needed (figuratively of course...). Right tool for the right moment with the right kid. As every parent eventually figures out.

Also, if this is what the "new age" comment was meant to communicate, I don't guess we'll have Ekeler for long. That dude doesn't look like he'd have much time for this approach.

TL;DR it all, but I thought new age football just meant playing this spread type offense

Reactions: ChattaTNVol

I'm not freaking out, but it does give me a little pause. I sure hope there's a way to have both a carrot and a stick. All carrot can create an atmosphere where whining, complaining, and manipulation are mistaken for 'healthy communication'. And that's poison. Seems like a both/and not an either/or on the toughness-encouragement spectrum would have some wisdom. Pat them on the back when they're down and a kick to the seat when needed (figuratively of course...). Right tool for the right moment with the right kid. As every parent eventually figures out.

Also, if this is what the "new age" comment was meant to communicate, I don't guess we'll have Ekeler for long. That dude doesn't look like he'd have much time for this approach.
These are pretty much all the thoughts I was going to type out, but since you pretty much nailed it I will just say I 100% agree.

Reactions: VFLPastor
Not saying it has legs, but he names names and money trails. That's hard forensics to hide. If the NCAA were interested, it would be easy enough to start looking into.
They've got Will Wade on audio recordings making huge cash offers for recruits and nothing has happened. That was two years ago. NCAA has selective enforcement.

Peace out, man.

Reactions: ChattaTNVol
Why would they be eligible to play elsewhere but ineligible to play here? They either are or they are not eligible to play. To restore eligibility, they'd have to repay any illegal benefits received, not just transfer.
Because we would know what they did to not be eligible to play here. We would knowingly be playing a player that accepted impermissible benefits. The results of the investigation have not been released and haven't been made public. If the kid transfers the new school has plausible deniability. By the time it all comes to light the kid will be gone and nothing will happen. I suspect this was the case with Gray.

They've got Will Wade on audio recordings making huge cash offers for recruits and nothing has happened. That was two years ago. NCAA has selective enforcement.
Yep..... that is why I don’t agree with UT’s handling of Pruitt..... we ,also, lost Bruce Pearl as coach over a rule that they changed to not being a violation 2 months after giving him a 3 yr show cause.

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill

@Freak, can you get ChattaTNVol press credentials as the head of the VN sports writers’ department? We need someone that understands sports to attend the coaching press conferences and ask the intelligent questions...

Please! 😊

Carrot: you play
Stick: you ride the bench

All the motivation that I would need.

I have no issues with tough, yelling , screaming coaches. But if this gets Tennessee to the Seahawks level of play and winning percentage, do you really care how the coaches motivate the players? I don’t.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back