Gone but not forgotten: Knoxville area restaurants and retailers we miss.

Yeah I never had a calzone til I was in my 20s. I used to eat my weight in wings at Spicy's on 10 cent wing night.
Didn't roadrunner have the cheap calzones too? Could get them with the coupons on some calendar iirc
No clue. I was a college kid from the middle of no where, calzone sounded like something too fancy for me.

Reactions: 9296potsguy and MAD
Awesome! How long was that open as a business?
I am guessing about 3 or four years, my Mother passed away in 2016 and I never really asked her how long she had it, but she started the school
when she was 19 in 1954 and then in 1957 married my Father and lived the life of a fighter pilots wife and followed him around the world. When
she had the school she had a a branch in Knoxville and one in Lenoir City and would go to New York and learn routines from the teachers that
were doing choreography for those big musicals in the 1950's, you would by a ticket and they would teach you five routines and then she would
come back to her schools and teach them to her students. She did tell me a funny story though, she said that when she was in New York
learning the new routines, she had so many blisters on her feet from tap dancing that when she went to one of the classes she just showed up
in sandals because she could not wear her tap shoes, and the dance teacher to her to go down to one of the restaurants and get some pickle juice
and soak her feet in it, and I guess it worked, anyway it was an interesting story. My Mother in the picture is in the center wearing a top hat.Mom Dance School.jpg

I am guessing about 3 or four years, my Mother passed away in 2016 and I never really asked her how long she had it, but she started the school
when she was 19 in 1954 and then in 1957 married my Father and lived the life of a fighter pilots wife and followed him around the world. When
she had the school she had a a branch in Knoxville and one in Lenoir City and would go to New York and learn routines from the teachers that
were doing choreography for those big musicals in the 1950's, you would by a ticket and they would teach you five routines and then she would
come back to her schools and teach them to her students. She did tell me a funny story though, she said that when she was in New York
learning the new routines, she had so many blisters on her feet from tap dancing that when she went to one of the classes she just showed up
in sandals because she could not wear her tap shoes, and the dance teacher to her to go down to one of the restaurants and get some pickle juice
and soak her feet in it, and I guess it worked, anyway it was an interesting story. My Mother in the picture is in the center wearing a top hat.View attachment 338976
That’s a really cool story about your mom. Lots of memories there for sure.

Trying again - does anyone remember the Metts and Beans place on Broadway in North Knoxville, across from Fellini Kroger? Any info, a name, would be great.

Trying again - does anyone remember the Metts and Beans place on Broadway in North Knoxville, across from Fellini Kroger? Any info, a name, would be great.

Tex Riley was my boyhood wrestling hero. Enjoyed the Saturday afternoon wrestling with Rex Rainey announcing. One "heel" was Lorenzo Parente. His Nashville restaurant "Lorenzo's" was our favorite, & Lorenzo was a gentle giant.
His tag team partner was Bobby Hart and their manager was Saul Weingeroff

Rf64e31c71e7095f61c502889c1bac42c (1).jpg

You're not a true East Tennesseean unless you went to Fort Marx in Cosby Tennessee

The last moonshine bar

We had a bootlegger out on Chapman Hwy that operated out of a junkyard. Never heard of Fort Marx but I have had plenty of artisanal moonshine and bear meat from around Newport and up in the mountains which could explain why I haven't had that coronavirus.

Did anyone go to the Orange Tee in the 70's in Knoxville?

Yes. And also Alexander’s Restaurant was nearby on the same side of the Pike up on a hill... slightly to the east iirc. Hanna’s was a popular restaurant on the opposite side of Kingston Pike up a long driveway into those woods. I never ate at Hanna’s. Too fancy for me, but I had a couple of friends that worked there. It might have been in Jack Hanna’s childhood home.

Yes. And also Alexander’s Restaurant was nearby on the same side of the Pike up on a hike... slightly to the east iirc. Hanna’s was a popular restaurant on the opposite side of Kingston Pike up a long driveway into those woods. I never ate at Hanna’s. Too fancy for me, but I had a couple of friends that worked there. It might have been in Jack Hanna’s childhood home.
I worked at Jeremiah's for two years which was the old Civil War house there on the corner of Kingston Pike and Peters road. I worked there in 1977 & 1978 and I went to Hanna's one time back then, also I would go to
Chantilly's piano bar which was on Kingston Pike kind of under another building around back.

I worked at Jeremiah's for two years which was the old Civil War house there on the corner of Kingston Pike and Peters road. I worked there in 1977 & 1978 and I went to Hanna's one time back then, also I would go to
Chantilly's piano bar which was on Kingston Pike kind of under another building around back.

Baker-Peters House. Two ancient Elm trees flanked the front entrance. One was cut down to put in that stupid gas station that Phillips 66 built in the front yard. The other elm died a few years later from disease.

My parents treated me to a meal at Jeremiah’s around that time. Calvin Shipe and Jess Ward, the owners of the Half Shell and former managers at Shakey’s Pizza, opened Jeremiah’s. Their wives were Anetha and Mary Annelle. Anetha Shipe was a little moody. Mary Annelle Tate (Mary Nelle?) was gorgeous and was a really sweet lady.

Last edited:
Baker-Peters House. Two ancient Elm trees flanked the front entrance. One was cut down to put in that stupid gas station that Phillips 66 built in the front yard. The other elm died a few years later from disease.

My parents treated me to a meal at Jeremiah’s around that time. Calvin Shipe and Jess Ward, the owners of the Half Shell and former managers at Shakey’s Pizza, opened Jeremiah’s. Their wives were Anetha and Mary Annelle. Anetha Shipe was a little moody. Mary Annelle Tate (Mary Nelle?) was gorgeous and was a really sweet lady.

dinner there with parents on visit home

Reactions: Vjcvette

I know, they should have never put that gas station in front of Jeremiah's, that was a real shame.

I know, they should have never put that gas station in front of Jeremiah's, that was a real shame.

Phillips 66 threatened to tear down the house. A compromise was reached to let them put their gas station on the western section of the lot and cutting down one of the pair of 200-300 year old elm trees.

One proposal was to move the house closer to Peters Road and to rotate it a quarter turn. That idea was too expensive.

I will never spend my money at that gas station. Phillips 66 may not even own it anymore but I don’t care. I avoid P66 as well.

Reactions: Vjcvette

VN Store

Back