Gone but not forgotten: Knoxville area restaurants and retailers we miss.

My brother's ex-wife's family have/had a beautiful house on Scenic. IIRC, it was on the right near Alta Vista. Sort of a 'big" box but they expanded it in the late 90's. Very pretty home and lot. It was huge.
lived very close to this house from late 50s thru late 60s.
dad sold it in early 2000s .... if i lived in kville, i would love to be in sequoyah hills

yep. Worked there too. The night and weekend employees were all students. We had a blast. It didnt sell drinks-the members brought in liquor and checked it it. We would sell the set ups and pour it for them. Then they'd forget it was there so we'd take a bottle or two home now and then. Ate like champs

would join my parents there on visits to knoxville. we always had drinks before heading there. finally know the reason why. enjoyed using the pool there, too

Woolworth's in Western Plaza and White Way in Bearden Center. Also Henderson-Floyd in BC.

Bought a lot of comic books and packets of Topp's baseball cards in those places.

Wade's Bakery in BC too.

most of my baseball cards were bought at woolworth. first place where i shopped for records

My wife and I really miss Chops Grill. It was in Downtown West and it had a lot of the same menu items as the Chop House, only at a much lower price. It was a good date spot in college.

Reactions: Hurley Mooncalf
about 12 pages thru thread.
did anyone else have the misfotune of going to Tyson Jr Hi?
Living in Sequoyah Hills I was supposed to go to Tyson Jr High but for some reason my parents wanted me to attend Bearden Jr High instead. I didn’t care for it much and told my parents I wanted to switch to West when I started HS, best decision I made, I loved it.

Reactions: ArdentVol
5:00AM Funniest show of all time.

Cas had his weekly specials on hand written poster boards that he’d read, throw on the floor, and move on to the next item. “We’ve got yer fresh whole fryers (chicken) fer 19 cents a pound.” Or he’d have his store brand coffee or whatever. I heard there was a deal on feminine hygiene products and he just said “and we got them thar too” as he tossed the poster to the studio floor.

I can’t think of a more iconic and interesting Knoxville/E TN character than Cas Walker. There’s Margie, Dolly, Chet/Archie/Roy, the Everlys, John Ward and Lyndsey Nelson, Fulmer/Majors/Neyland/Mears, Mad Jack, the Butcher brothers. But Cas was in a class of characters all alone.
Yes, & he was a friend of Rev.& Mrs. J. Basil Mull. That was indeed a unique triumvirate.

A guy that I know that worked with Big Jim Hess told me a story about him. The sales pit at WTVK was made up of cubicles for the reps. Every day Jim would expand his cubicle very slightly by moving the wall toward the adjacent salesman’s space. It took a long time before his neighbor noticed. Reminds me of Milton in Office Space.

VN Store

Back