Man boobies-Why are so many coaches out of shape?

So the thread title asks a completely different question than the OP. I'll give my thoughts on both.

Title question: being out of shape has some of the same root causes for a coach as the US population (70% of us are overweight, and half of those are obese): Rich foods, plentiful abundance for most, large portions at restaurants and fast food joints, etc. On top of those societal commonalities, college coaches have notoriously long work days most of the year. First things to give way when you're severely over-worked are (a) leisure, (b) family time, and (c) exercise. A lot of these coaches do very little but work and sleep 10 or 11 months of the year.

OP question: Probably. To some extent. For most kids. Picking a coach is kinda like anything else in life: you're supposed to stay focused on the professional attributes, but how you get along with the person, whether you enjoy being around them, those are going to weigh in, too. A coach who looks ripped probably usually has a 'likeability' advantage. Just human nature.
Being just plain ol fashion overweight (like myself) indicates laziness and/or lack if self discipline. Since we're talking about a sport that is literally about the opposite of that, I would obviously want to get to know the coach more if I'm a kid killing myself in the weight room/practice field and he is just someone with a gut. It also depends on age and how much the coach actually played. If the guy never played past college and is 50 years old, I'm more likely to give him a pass, personally

My spelling may not be correct, but gynocomastia is a birth defect. Actually only reversed by surgery on some. I personally know this. No amount of weights remove them. Surgery is not covered by insurance, it's a cosmetic surgery. So be ready to pay. Take it from someone who's checked it all out. I'm coming out of the closet with this anyway. Earlier, if the mother took a drug like ritalin during pregnancy, she could sue the drug mfg. Might pay for the surgery. For some, it's a DNA issue. Making fun of someone with this condition is a sore point to me. Some can't be held responsible for it. But, I'm still a Big Orange Fan!
That's understandable, and I don't think anyone in the thread was talking about uncontrollable medical conditions.

Moreso Chaney's gut.

Hope you're feeling better.

Reactions: kcvols1
With the money these coaches make, I dare say their diet is not very good. Throw in lack of sleep and stress levels, you have the ingredients to produce some solid bombastic manboobs.....

I think you have no clue what they are demanding of them. How stupid is this take? My god actually apply this.

I have ridden a stationary bike and texted/emailed clients many times. I billed 50-70 hour weeks for ten years. That means I worked 60-80 hours. I was also commuting 45 minutes each way. Finding 30 minutes to exercise and watching what you eat isn’t hard, but I get that not everyone is going to make the choice.

Advocating that people practice what they preach is NEVER a stupid take.

Pruitt looked fit and trim, ready to go a round or two with anyone who wanted to mix it up. <blue font> Yep, that's how you pick coaches for sure.

A strength coach, absolutely. Can't have a fat strength coach.

Position coaches, I doubt anyone would care. Unless they were so fat it interfered with the coaching on the field. And I can think of a few that it probably did.

It isn't shocking Pruitt got fat in his three years here. My diet is pretty bad. But I make up l for it with exercise. If you are working 14 hour days every day, the exercise is going to go out the window and the diet is going to get even worse.

No excuse for a bad diet with what those guys make. On the off chance that the school wouldn't pay for them to have a chef make them healthy meals, they make millions of dollars a year and can afford one if they want it. Pruitt got fat from a duet that consisyed solely of cornbread, obviously.

If a coach has a winning record, the boobs probably don't matter.

There is another side to that though. If you're going to insist your players be in shape, eat healthy...stay in the weight room, you had better practice what you preach. JMO, it comes with being a good role model for your players.

My thoughts exactly. I don't think the physical shape of the coach has any bearing on his ability to coach the game of football. However, we ARE dealing with young men and I do think some level of personal physical conditioning is part of setting the desired example for your team.

No excuse for a bad diet with what those guys make. On the off chance that the school wouldn't pay for them to have a chef make them healthy meals, they make millions of dollars a year and can afford one if they want it. Pruitt got fat from a duet that consisyed solely of cornbread, obviously.
Bolton, I think you have a pretty basic misunderstanding of these guys' lives.

Don't think of them as sitting at home in a two-million-dollar mini-mansion, ordering their meals from their personal chef.

Instead, imagine them out on the road in a rental car, slogging from town to town, meeting with high school coaches, watching Friday night games and Tuesday afternoon practices, sitting in the living rooms of recruits' parents' homes, grabbing something quick from a fast food joint on the way to the motel, and crashing for six hours before waking up to do it all over again.

That's the off-season.

During the season, it's easier, because the coaches DO have access to the nutritious food available in the building, and can more easily eat healthy. But they're still stressed as hell, and will stress-eat. When you're wound up with excitement and stress, your body goes into a kind of survival mode, and wants to grab calories. Lots of calories. Even if you're not expending all those calories, the stress you're under tricks your brain into thinking there's a lot of physical requirement, too. Because, you know, when we evolved into our current form, the biggest sources of stress were like dinosaurs and woolly mammoths trying to eat us. (just kidding about the dinosaurs, they probably preferred chicken).

Not giving coaches an excuse for not looking after themselves, it's something they need to do--and they all know they need to do it, even if many of them aren't willing to take the time and effort. Just saying, they're not sitting casually in the billiard room waiting for the butler to tell them lunch is served. :)

Reactions: Rando
Many here have posted good reasons for coaches to be out of shape, and I think many of us know the frustrations that come with age. If you don't, you will.

To stay on track, my opinion on the answer to the question is, "yes." This is based on my observations of today's youth. Besides the immaturity, inexperience, and lack of respect that comes with any generation at that age, there is a remarkable amount of focus on physical appearance with the heavy use of apps like Snapchat & TikTok to communicate. Kids will take a hundred pictures of themselves before they find "the one" that presents themselves in a physically attractive nature for a single post to their followers. Yes, young men do this too. Also, with national publicity, exposure, evolution of the game & strength training, even at the high school level, recruits work harder than they used to at a younger age to get and maintain top physical conditioning - these kids are ripped. They will appreciate coaches that take the time to keep themselves in shape.

Bolton, I think you have a pretty basic misunderstanding of these guys' lives.

Don't think of them as sitting at home in a two-million-dollar mini-mansion, ordering their meals from their personal chef.

Instead, imagine them out on the road in a rental car, slogging from town to town, meeting with high school coaches, watching Friday night games and Tuesday afternoon practices, sitting in the living rooms of recruits' parents' homes, grabbing something quick from a fast food joint on the way to the motel, and crashing for six hours before waking up to do it all over again.

That's the off-season.

During the season, it's easier, because the coaches DO have access to the nutritious food available in the building, and can more easily eat healthy. But they're still stressed as hell, and will stress-eat. When you're wound up with excitement and stress, your body goes into a kind of survival mode, and wants to grab calories. Lots of calories. Even if you're not expending all those calories, the stress you're under tricks your brain into thinking there's a lot of physical requirement, too. Because, you know, when we evolved into our current form, the biggest sources of stress were like dinosaurs and woolly mammoths trying to eat us. (just kidding about the dinosaurs, they probably preferred chicken).

Not giving coaches an excuse for not looking after themselves, it's something they need to do--and they all know they need to do it, even if many of them aren't willing to take the time and effort. Just saying, they're not sitting casually in the billiard room waiting for the butler to tell them lunch is served. :)
I get your narrative here, but, on the road in rental cars or not, high stress or not, there is no excuse, speaking from a perspective of health and well being, for slowly killing yourself with a fork and spoon. I don't care about appearance; I'm talking about health and intentional living.......zero excuses whatever the economic circumstances.

I get your narrative here, but, on the road in rental cars or not, high stress or not, there is no excuse, speaking from a perspective of health and well being, for slowly killing yourself with a fork and spoon. I don't care about appearance; I'm talking about health and intentional living.......zero excuses whatever the economic circumstances.
Oh, I agree. Still, it doesn't help anything to stomp our feet and say 'there's no excuse.' Around 70% of Americans are still overweight, and something like 35% are obese. Even though the vast majority of them KNOW they could be doing better with diet and exercise.

Humanity is as well off today as we have ever been in history. A lower percentage of us go to sleep hungry at night than ever before. Starvation and malnutrition are at record lows, and not just in the US and Europe, but world-wide. You no longer hear about folks starving in China, or Somalia, or Eritrea, not because journalists stopped caring enough to report about it, but because wide-scale famine has been all but eradicated.

We're not built for this kind of success. We're not designed for it. We're designed for a world like the one our great-grandparents and EVERY generation before them knew, a world of scarcity and deprivation. This is a very modern phenomenon, this all-you-can-eat buffet of life for the everyman. We haven't adjusted to it yet.

Harvard professor Steven Pinker talks about this eloquently. Worth looking him up on youtube or reading one of his books. It's not just about how rich we are in food, he talks about how well the world is doing in many ways (despite the media's love for telling us the sky is falling).

But every coin has a second side. The downside of plentiful food is, well, plentiful food.

No excuse. Got it. But let's understand where we are, too.

Transcript of "Is the world getting better or worse? A look at the numbers"

Last edited:
My psychology professor at UT offered free weight loss program to students. A couple weeks later I overheard a couple young ladies say they signed up for the program, waited a long time for the professor, went in and he told them to "quit eating so much". I have always wondered why coaches pack on the pounds and also why they are not leading by example. Kiffin, Saban, Smart, and Mullen appear successful and look fit. Then you have Chaney, and a lot of NFL coaches that look like they live at the buffet. To each his own but I agree that good health follows a good diet, clean living, and regular exercise. If you don't do it for yourself, take care of your health for your family. Lent is a great time to put some of those bad habits behind you and pick up some good habits.

Reactions: Rando
Kiffin, Saban, Smart, and Mullen appear successful and look fit. Then you have Chaney, and a lot of NFL coaches that look like they live at the buffet.
Kiffin, Smart, and Mullen are all overweight. The first two might actually be obese.

I think you must be remembering Kiffin from 10-12 years ago. Here he is today:

1613745529387.jpeg

And Smart:

images

And Mullen:

images

It would be hard to take Chaney serious

Exactly what I've said all along. How can you listen to a guy who obviously makes poor decisions; especially with Life & Death connotations? Chaney, there ARE places called "Fat Farms". GO!

VN Store

Back