Man boobies-Why are so many coaches out of shape?

You can workout 20 min no matter how many hours your day is. I was in the military for 25 years and the last 15+ years as a SNCO and Officer I routinely worked 12+ hours a day.
You can. You should. No matter how long your day.

But a whole lot of Americans don't. And that includes football coaches.

All a question of priorities. When time gets really precious, you find out what yours really are.

For the first 10 years or so of owning my business, I worked 70-80 hrs a week. Luckily, I'm in a physically demanding industry and have remained in decent shape without having to do anything extra. Working like that leaves little time for yourself and the last thing I want to do when I get home is anything else but see my family, eat, and sleep. If I were sitting at a computer or something, I can easily see how my body would be a mess. I'm sure it's the same w/ coaches long hours, little time for self, eating poorly due to being on the go / on the road a lot. Combine that w/ aging and maybe a health problem or two and you have man boobs. So, to me it wouldn't matter if I thought the coach gave me the best chance to develop and get to the next level.

It's strange that so many coaches opt right the hell out of physical fitness. Some are so bad you don't want to see them get riled up on the sidelines.

I'd guess it's what people mention above though: stress, long hours, poor food choices, etc. A lot of aches and pains to go around as well for the former players. Probably more than a few eat like they are still athletes but don't burn near enough calories as they age.

Reactions: Rando
If Chaney came in my home, I would hope he doesn’t expect me to feed him.
Or sit in a normal chair. We once had a bridge group come over &or bridge. One guy weighed over 300 pounds and broke one our chairs. Month later, he broke another chair at another house. He and his wife dropped our of the group. By the way, he has both knees and hip replace$ before he was 65 years old.

Or sit in your wicker furniture.... that's the first place fat people go in a hose.
It seems irrelevant to some folks, if a coach walks in a house to recruit , can’t fit in the furniture or needs help getting off the couch , how can you 100% believe guy has your best interest? It’s not a mean question. GBO

Or sit in a normal chair. We once had a bridge group come over &or bridge. One guy weighed over 300 pounds and broke one our chairs. Month later, he broke another chair at another house. He and his wife dropped our of the group. By the way, he has both knees and hip replace$ before he was 65 years old.
Yikes. I’ve had someone break a toilet seat before

If you’re a recruit, does it matter to you what the guy coaching you looks like physically?Say you’ve narrowed it down to 2 schools, both coaches have matching records/same credentials,one has a big ol set of man boobs... do the boobs sway you the opposite direction? GBO
Those who still can do. Those that know how, but out of shape, teach.

Reactions: Gnew6011vfl
If you’re a recruit, does it matter to you what the guy coaching you looks like physically?Say you’ve narrowed it down to 2 schools, both coaches have matching records/same credentials,one has a big ol set of man boobs... do the boobs sway you the opposite direction? GBO
Swaying boobs has led many young men into bad decisions.

I wouldn’t say a recruit really is going to care if their coach is or isn’t in shape. However, if you can find me one fat successful college coach I’ll be impressed. The sloppy appearance and lack of give a crap about the shape their in, is a direct reflection of their on field success. Coach heup needs to hit the ole mat drills with the boys this spring. Get himself looking a little tighter.
Phil Fulmer, Gary Patterson, Bobby Bowden, then in the NFL there's Andy Reid

So the thread title asks a completely different question than the OP. I'll give my thoughts on both.

Title question: being out of shape has some of the same root causes for a coach as the US population (70% of us are overweight, and half of those are obese): Rich foods, plentiful abundance for most, large portions at restaurants and fast food joints, etc. On top of those societal commonalities, college coaches have notoriously long work days most of the year. First things to give way when you're severely over-worked are (a) leisure, (b) family time, and (c) exercise. A lot of these coaches do very little but work and sleep 10 or 11 months of the year.

OP question: Probably. To some extent. For most kids. Picking a coach is kinda like anything else in life: you're supposed to stay focused on the professional attributes, but how you get along with the person, whether you enjoy being around them, those are going to weigh in, too. A coach who looks ripped probably usually has a 'likeability' advantage. Just human nature.
All of your points are valid, and add in most older men 50+ are going to get that pot belly, that's just reality. In addition, those exorbitant (market value) salaries make for a plentiful table spread at home or elsewhere. Due to their work hours they put in I doubt they have the healthiest of meals provided. That's my two cents.
Of course, they could be disciplined to not be obese but I think the odds are against that.

VN Store

Back