Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rock chalk, Vols walk.....all over Kansas.

View attachment 347131
I was at the game last night with a friend who has season tickets. I understand the reduced tix sales isn't good for UT's budget but man o man is it awesome. No line to park in G10, no line for concessions, no lines to bathroom and you have all the empty seats you need to put your coat and anything else you bring in down. It also takes less than 5 minutes to exit G10.

It would have been nice though if TBA was packed last night. We may have won by 30.

LA, do you have a sense of what the Athletic dept finances look like for this past year and going forward in the near term, like 2021-22?

UTAD reported a deficit and expects a similar one this year. The university waived some annual AD obligations (academic payments, etc.) and covered some service costs from other revenue buckets. SEC payments will cover some of the shortfall, and the university will loan UTAD any remaining funds needed to balance the budget through the next fiscal year. UT is well-funded. Juggling funds is a stopgap until the new TV revenue starts in 23-24.

You sound like a perfect fit for Danny White’s organization. Maybe they have some internships for you.

Serious question

What has our new AD done, in a very short period of time, that make's you feel the way you do? His only hire is our head coach and we don't know how that's gonna turn out, but it has to be better than than what Pruitt was presenting.

Reactions: windrider
CJH and Steele have talked multiple times. Now that the candidate pool has dwindled, things have circled back. When things don't start out on the best note, it can be tricky to overcome. But if Steele wants to coach this year and he's the best available... arranged marriages sometimes work.

Steele just cannot dictate what CJH does with his O. He did with Mahlzahn. Mahlzahn's O went from fast break to just no huddle/check with me. Slowed it down and it got worse over the years that followed. So Steele's D's benefitted from that change.

Steele (couldn't help myself) like what he did though. Go get the D-line for a pass rush and get picks in he secondary. That's enough 'contain' when you have a high scoring O.

I am definitely not being overly optimistic in year 1 with basically inheriting a team that spent an entire off-season and regular season doing god knows what as far as development. But I do think we'll score more than 25 a game and I don't think his offense will suffer the same sort of issues that Leach's did where they had a 4 game stretch of only scoring 30 points. Won't speculate too much on the defense until we know who our DC is Pruitt's team gave up 30.1 though, so I just hope we're better than that in year 1.

I think most fans have come to accept that every 3-5 years we are going to have a few disasters of a season then get a new coach

Were getting a new coach every 3-4 years because of disasters of a season. Not because we aren't competing with UGA, UF, and Bama. Pruitt got an extension and raise because he won 6-7 winnable games in a row, after losing to GEO st. CJH could very well ovoid the disaster seasons by simply having a good QB every year. His track record says that is highly likely.
Avoid the disasters and build off of the success he has. Crawl before you walk and walk before you run.
Anyone expecting success against the top teams in the next 3 years will most likely be disapointed. but maybe we will be surprised in a nice way if we just hope to get back to beating the rest .

Do you think the fan base is smart enough to realize this once commitments and rankings start to reflect it?
All depends on how bad it is. I think people can be realistic in having 10-25 ranked classes. But if you get down to the high 20s or 30s like UK, Miss St type classes, and fall behind USCe in recruiting, no I don't think anyone will accept that.

I am definitely not being overly optimistic in year 1 with basically inheriting a team that spent an entire off-season and regular season doing god knows what as far as development. But I do think we'll score more than 25 a game and I don't think his offense will suffer the same sort of issues that Leach's did where they had a 4 game stretch of only scoring 30 points. Won't speculate too much on the defense until we know who our DC is Pruitt's team gave up 30.1 though, so I just hope we're better than that in year 1.
Vandy
USCe
Tech
South Bama
Bowling Green
Pitt

We SHOULD win these games. I will say before this year it was hard to find 6 wins this easy. Our OOC schedule is really weak and seems that way the next couple years.

Then you have Ole Miss and Missouri, I think we can split one of those.

The point is no one would want that job, any top tier talent wouldn't consider that assignment, they would be elsewhere working a project that had a chance at success. You realize you just described what happened here at UT? Do the same thing over and over again and expect different results. That is where we are at, trying something different with people of a different mindset. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't, but at least we'll be stable. Get on board or burn your affiliation with the program like you did your diploma. Either way I really don't care, you're a joke.
Jeff Fisher invalidates your argument. Why am I a joke?

Steele just cannot dictate what CJH does with his O. He did with Mahlzahn. Mahlzahn's O went from fast break to just no huddle/check with me. Slowed it down and it got worse over the years that followed. So Steele's D's benefitted from that change.

Steele (couldn't help myself) like what he did though. Go get the D-line for a pass rush and get picks in he secondary. That's enough 'contain' when you have a high scoring O.

Yeah, I think they have to work through some things and make sure they're on the same page. It's a bit of a sticky situation all around. Everybody needs to want and be committed to the same thing.

That’s Non-sense.
The players loved Heupel.
The upsetting part from their perspective was the leak that he was gone to Tennessee before he could get to them and tell them face to face.

This is what many folks seemed to miss with Danny White's leak concerns. His motivation to keep things quiet was never about some egotistical conquest to be a ninja AD. He prioritized the student athletes who play for these coaches. Wanted to give whoever he hired a chance to say goodbye to his community in his own way. He wanted them to come to Tennessee and feel like they were doing the right thing and at peace with how they were leaving.

That's an honorable way to do business. It shows respect to all candidates that were willing to talk to Tennessee, whether they had real interest or not. We're not used to things being handled like that so a good portion of our media and fans just made fun of it instead.

Serious question

What has our new AD done, in a very short period of time, that make's you feel the way you do? His only hire is our head coach and we don't know how that's gonna turn out, but it has to be better than than what Pruitt was presenting.
The hire alone. He hired a coach that has overseen a significant decline of a program he took over that happens to be far easier than the SEC. 6-4 year 3 after taking over a 12-0. That is material and the data doesn’t look good. Sure, he has fun offense but clearly he isn’t outperforming his competition.

So quick questions: Will Grey, To, Wanya, and other transfers be eligible next year if they’re not grad transfers? I thought they shelved the one time transfer talk, and doubt they’ll be given immediate eligibility due to how JP was fired. Also them possibly being connected to those events pits even more doubt on them playing next year. Just curious as to why the rush to get to a new school is all.
Practice and be associated with winning programs, then leave at the semester to prepare for the draft.

The hire alone. He hired a coach that has overseen a significant decline of a program he took over that happens to be far easier than the SEC. 6-4 year 3 after taking over a 12-0. That is material and the data doesn’t look good. Sure, he has fun offense but clearly he isn’t outperforming his competition.
In a covid yea with many opt outs with most games being single possession. He is still 28-8. But let’s focus on one thing. I’m sure you know a lot about head coaches and the game of football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back