Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
And he failed in the most important task he had. That is like an Olympic 100 meter sprinter that looks good in warm up but false starts when it counts. You don’t give a damn about anything but the race. You are probably more of a clown for thinking this ends any other way besides us seeking a new coach in 4-5 years with no material improvement to the program. Am I angry? Hell yes, hence the burning of my diploma that I no longer care for (I refuse to support such bad prolonged decision making). Why do I still post? Because I like to talk ****. I’ll let you know when your remarks have any impact on my psyche.
giphy.gif

Huepel at Missouri as OC:
2016 – 500.5 yards per game, No. 13 in total offense (295.4 passing yards, 205.1 rushing yards, 31.4 points per game)

2017 – 502.2 yards per game, No. 8 in total offense (308.6 passing yards, 193.5 rushing yards, 37.5 points per game)

Mizzou tenure - game by game Total Offense:

ScreenHunter 630.png

I think recruiting to UT is so overblown. I see folks here and on VQ worried about this staff being able to recruit. When hasn’t UT recruited well? I’ve been following recruiting very closely since 2009. We’ve had some bad coaches lately and how many times have we not finished in the top 25? 15? 10? 5?

Butch Jones had TWO top 5 classes. But he couldn’t develop and coach. If not for Dobbs he would have had zero success at UT.

Recruiting has been fine. You know what hasn’t been good? Developers of talent, coaches that know how to scheme for their roster and their opponents.

Our new coach has a pretty good track record of developing QB’s, scoring a ton of points and winning games. I can promise you if he does that at UT recruiting will be as good as we’ve seen in awhile.

Ron top 15 -25 won’t help you win here. You hv to be top 5-7 to compete in the SEC.

Ron top 15 -25 won’t help you win here. You hv to be top 5-7 to compete in the SEC.
Something I have always thought is you recruit all the speed positions by stars ,QB by your system ( pass, run option, etc) the big ugly's by potential. You can add size and strength but you can't add speed and quickness and it seems the trend is for quick and in some cases fast lineman. Some times a teams ranking overall is dropped by project recruits like OL, DL. I think in many cases the 5 star lineman that are 6'6" 350 in high school have seldom if ever gone against anyone their size and it is a huge learning curve and many can't cut it.

I basically agree with you. I don't think we actually tried all that hard to hire anyone else. I accept DW at his word that he only offered one man. Any discussions he might have had with anyone else didn't seem that interesting on the other end. Nobody thought he was serious and in the grand scheme of things he wasn't but then neither were we, we being UT. jmo.

So what are you/we supposed to do now? Expect the worst, hope for the best? Something in between? I'm getting older and one of these days my time will have run out and I won't be here anymore. I have no illusions about where we're headed as a program. I don't really expect us ever to be relevant again in the remainder of the time I may have left. I can see someone much younger being more optimistic about the longer term future.

The thing about it is I'm still going to be a fan of Tennessee football. I didn't realize it when I fell in love with this team and this game as a kid that there were no guarantees that we would ever win. And at this point win or lose, it doesn't really matter. We're sort of stuck with each other, might as well just accept things as they are and make the best of our days together. jmo.
Well said.

Reactions: ChattaTNVol
Let's say your job is to sell stock, now go convince shareholders to buy Circuit City and Blockbuster...... If you can't it must mean you're a failure right?
Actually those people do get fired and would be considered a failure. They are called investor relations at large companies. If they do a poor job of convincing big funds to buy their shares then they are fired, if that doesn’t work then the C level executive team is changed. With that said, UT in all of its decline is no where near as bad as selling a Blockbuster share in the Netflix era. Stop making excuses, maybe read Jocko’s book on extreme ownership.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back