Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed, especially on the defensive side of the ball. I thought the secondary was his specialty, but they looked awful this year. Out of position, not looking for the ball, etc.

3 years of it. Guys out of position, not looking for the ball, lack of technique, poor tackling and on and on. Unless Pruitt has elite talent he simply can't get the job done.

Frost did no better recruiting at UCF. Maybe it’s UCF.

Not making excuses. Waiting for results.... good or bad. We can’t make assumptions.

The thing most people are ignoring is it doesn’t matter how good the head coach is as a recruiter now. The NCAA stuff and eyes watching every move means recruiting isn’t going to be elite and that doesn’t means JH can’t recruit either

Reactions: Bruce Wayne
The thing most people are ignoring is it doesn’t matter how good the head coach is as a recruiter now. The NCAA stuff and eyes watching every move means recruiting isn’t going to be elite and that doesn’t means JH can’t recruit either
Do you think the fan base is smart enough to realize this once commitments and rankings start to reflect it?

Reactions: Smokey19rt
Probably should sticky this then. Not a great history of nailing name spelling. Not that there’s anything wrong with that. Mine gets butchered all the time.
*Kiffen
*Fullmer
*Dormandy
*Payton
etc, etc, etc
I’m all in favor of having a sticky with a running list of correct spelling of names lol. For education purposes, of course. 😂

Reactions: COOKEVOL
Tee is a good WR coach and has coached several receivers that are currently on NFL rosters. The issue is the style of play CJP wanted to run. He took over calling the plays and tried to play a style of 2000 football. Not much Tee could do about that.

I do agree that with the offense we were electing to run it did not set our WRs up to have big games/stats. But I also fail to believe that Pruitt was coaching the WR group as well as calling the plays. The players could still have been adequately coached and developed in practice and they weren’t. That’s why you get reviews like they have the last two years at the Senior bowl etc. that the boys looked like they didn’t receive proper college coaching. That is not on scheme that is on their position coach in either not coaching them in proper techniques/route running or not coaching them at all.

I agree that Tee has proven himself to be a good WR coach in the past but the product he has put on the field at UT has been subpar. If you take what was a good coach that was producing well developed players then he goes somewhere else and that doesn’t happen the question would be why? You have direct responsibility over coaching those guys at their position that is solely on you. That would be a question that should absolutely happen if he were to interview for another job.

What I believe it is pointing to is laziness and not giving a damn. Which is more than likely why he was easily glazed over in the coaching search.

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
Holy Hell!

The man hasn’t coached one game or had a chance to recruit one class and we are already questioning his coaching and recruiting. Let’s give it a year or two before being so brash.

I was thinking the same thing. We do this to every coach. lol We got a bunch of assumers in here and Kingston leads the way. LOL

Frost did no better recruiting at UCF. Maybe it’s UCF.

Not making excuses. Waiting for results.... good or bad. We can’t make assumptions.
This is the best guy we’ve hired so far.
I hope (like the rest of the hires) that he surprises me and he turns out to be the long term answer. Even though my first reaction to his hire wasn’t ideal

I was thinking the same thing. We do this to every coach. lol We got a bunch of assumers in here and Kingston leads the way. LOL
🙄

I have a pretty good track record of evaluating coaching hires. This guy has his work cut out for him.

But of course, I don’t know anything. We’ll see what happens!

But to me, it is just as legitimate to be anxious about the immediate future as it is to be sure great things are coming.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
I enjoy slaughterfest games. Even Dicky V is tolerable. I hope Pons ankles are okay
Dickie V talked about this not being a normal Kansas team because of their NCAA issues. He didn't give much credit to UT at all. Kansas has always bought players and now they're about to pay the price for it. Dickie V can kiss my lily white a$$. He can't retire quick enough for me. He has always carried the jock strap for the blue blood programs.

Dickie V talked about this not being a normal Kansas team because of their NCAA issues. He didn't give much credit to UT at all. Kansas has always bought players and now they're about to pay the price for it. Dickie V can kiss my lily white a$$. He can't retire quick enough for me. He has always carried the jock strap for the blue blood programs.
dude is a major league asshat. made his living being an attention whore. dude could be an all world human, philanthropist but his on screen personality lends to being annoying as hell.

Read an article last night that indicated Shannon was brought in at UCF for Florida recruiting connections. Same article indicated part of the reason for UCF’s record last year was 10 players opting out due to Covid. Excuse or reason? Dunno but that’s a lot of bodies to lose...

they lost crucial players and then more defensive players got kicked off the team for being D**kheads.

They ended up playing freshmen at CB along the dline and back up Lbs. For a group of 5 program losing starters hurts a lot more than it would for power 5.

Doesn’t make a bit of difference if your coaches can’t develop that talent and win as the last 10+ years has shown us.

To be honest I put more stock in the actual positions that make up those numbers. Butch could recruit skill positions well but was terrible on the line of scrimmage which is where it counts more. By nature RB’s have higher ratings because they can contribute early.

I would focus on his recruiting specifically on the line of scrimmage, cornerbacks and of course QB.

He said they had audio of assistant coaches saying “do whatever it takes to get Zion”. Said that could mean anything. Doesn’t necessarily mean anything improper.

Reactions: Batman1948
I got really good vibes with all the coaches when they were first brought on...

Dooley, Butch, and Pruitt all said the right things and all gave legit reasons from their backgrounds to be optimistic.

I’m done falling for that same trap again. Not saying you did the same thing or throwing shade here, but personally I’m done with doing that. When the results show, I will be in. Until then, I’m not letting myself be fooled by the good feeling thing again.

Until he shows otherwise, the JH show is just another $4M/yr middle-to-lower-end of the conference coach that will have us happy to be winning 7-8 games a year with blowouts to our big 3 rivals while paying him not to coach here starting in 2025 while we do this again.

What I’ve learned about what you must say in your first press conference from going through a number of coaching searches.
  • Don’t forget to thank your spouse and children for supporting you even though you are disrupting their settled lives.
  • Pay respect to the storied legacy of the football program.
  • Name drop Peyton Manning at least once.
  • Pay homage to the mission of winning championships.
  • Speak to the grandeur and atmosphere of Neyland Stadium.
  • Promise to restore the football program to its historical greatness.
  • Declare that we’re committed to winning immediately.
  • Promise to run the football program the right way.
  • Challenge everyone to get onboard.
  • Make clear that you’re in it for the long haul or until you get fired after 3 years, whichever comes first.

Agree. I am worried about this for sure. The class if 22 is easier because of so much TN talent. But are we going to make serious efforts and big recruits?

UCF fans and players really don't seem to like the guy. It really feels like when Cinci fans were thrilled we hired Butch
The fans blamed him for the covid season.... the players were most definitely hurt that he left but excited again bc they think they may get Lebby back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back