Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I literally don't get it. Took over Scott Frost's 2017 National Championship team and the record has regressed every year since then. What am I missing? This whole thing reeks. The only silver lining is his high-powered offenses. Please, someone, help.

Doesn’t matter what he looks like or where he comes from...just show us progression and wins and a football program we can be proud of

I think DW is about to learn that the PR aspect of hiring a new coach is significantly more important at UT than UCF. Heupel may end up fielding an explosive offense and surround himself with a good enough staff that it all works out, but you likely just took a big hit in roster attrition and a big hit in recruiting a very pivotal 2022 class...on top of pending sanctions. He's at least aware that his job depends on this hire, so I hope he's right.

Reactions: Tnfan41
I’m very disappointed in the Heupel hire because it is so different than the expectations that were set. However, I do want to hear the whole story before passing judgment. I’m also reminded an ADs job isn’t just about one sport, so we have to judge DW on everything he does, not just this hire. That said, at best, this is a clumsy first step. I hope his steps here on out are a lot more firm and bold.

I'm mad busy today and have no prayer at keeping up with this thread. I'll give my 2 cents, assuming it is Heupel, positives and negatives.

Negatives:

1. Volnation will never learn to spell his name right. Heaven help us. His last name might just as well be spelled out in Thai.
2. Sanctions are clearly going to be bad, or the perception in the industry that they will be, because White had to work down his list.
3. He is unproven over time.
4. What we have seen in the short-term was decline, though there could be valid reasons for that. I'm not sure what the roster looked like when Frost left.
5. We miss out on the "flashy" hire that would be proven and bring stability. Greatly needed
6. He needs a strong defensive coordinator... possibly one made out of Steele.
7. Has not been the best recruiter and needs a strong staff

Positives:

1. SEC Experience at Mizzou
2. Scores points by the droves. We've not seen that in years.
3. Developed Drew Lock
4. May be able to bring in one of the hottest OC names in Jeff Lebby
5. Should play well with Ty Simpson and help begin a nice domino effect in recruiting.
6. Excellent QB coach. We need that DESPERATELY. Who was the last decent one? I literally cannot remember...
7. No one knows him better than Danny White
8. Has experience working with lesser talent, not top tier Bama talent.

Ultimately, it comes down to this for me. He was probably not on White's Top 10 list. Few of us in life ever get the top 10 of much of anything of value that we want. Sometimes, it works out for the best. We were clearly forced into the same position Fulmer was in a few years ago... limited options. I'm not going to hold it over the AD's head unless I know for a fact he was given a blank check and only hit the 1st number on his speed dial and went directly to Heupel.

Worst Case Scenario:

IMO, the worst case scenario is that we are crushed by sanctions, Heupel is hamstrung by scholarship reductions and bowl bans and can never get his footing. He is used to building with lesser talent so he can make strides with our current roster while pulling in some offensive weapons. Recruiting may struggle due to lack of "star power" in his name, but I think a strong staff eliminates that concern. After a few years, Danny White uses his mulligan after we have cleared sanctions, built a clean program, and the job is now much more desirable. Yes, we always assume the job will be more desirable, but I've said it.

Best Case Scenario:

We've hired a young innovative offensive minded coach whose best years are before him and he has chosen to work with this AD twice. He has more money than ever to build a quality staff and he benefits from the program upgrade of being able to recruit to Tennessee. We don't know where the ceiling is. He could be Lincoln Riley.

This is all pipe dream stuff. Not only has his record gone down so has his recruiting. Josh Heupel is also not getting Lebby who just got a raise at Ole Miss. Ty Simpson isn't going to come play for Heupel either. When UCF recruiting faltered, so did the record. Not a good look.

You’re the most optimistic person in this board.. you literally have been behind any name that has been slung around. Kudos to you sir... not saying this is a bad hire. It’s decent. Just wish I had your spirit lol.
Bass goes through his bouts of maniac-depreciation like most of us do. I am going to support Heupel, but I am ready for the next nutkick as well. I do think we will score a lot of points and hope that Steele and his crew can wreak some havoc on defense. I am some concerned about recruiting, but if we get Garner and a couple of other ace recruiters, I will be more encouraged.

If it's truly Heupel, our program is on the South Carolina level. We are a top 50 program now. Heupel won't compete for championships, he'll compete for bowl eligibility and the occasional 9 wins. Dooley's teams scored a ton of points but what did that get us? We will revisit this same topic in 3-4 years and we all know it.

Basilio:

Tennessee's job was always seen as a tough one in America's best league. Now it's seen as an impossible one that only carries the guarantee of riches and little else. And for a sport where everybody is flush with cash, flashing Benjamin's isn't enough to lure coaches. In this cycle alone Tennessee has been turned down already from coaches from SMU and Cincinnati as well as a coordinator from Clemson. This never happens. And it's not Danny White's fault ... He just got here ... He didn't do this

The Tony Basilio Show :: Tony's Talking Points (tclub.team)

cleveland-browns-fans-paper-bags.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back