Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
but that is what they hired harbaugh for. to become competitive again at that level. they're not.
I agree they aren’t but i think that’s out of harbaugh’s control. It’s much like before fulmer was out AD we didn’t have the support structure that bama, Clemson, Ohio state etc have. We have that now.

I'm ignoring anyone who says James Franklin in this thread again.
Rob said on podcast that James Franklin only has a $5 million dollar buyout.
@mrmax86

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

I agree they aren’t but i think that’s out of harbaugh’s control. It’s much like before fulmer was out AD we didn’t have the support structure that bama, Clemson, Ohio state etc have. We have that now.
i don't disagree about any of that. doesn't change what he was hired to do, and hasn't. i think harbaugh is a good coach...stanford and 49ers didn't happen by accident.

HE hasn't gotten michigan to that level. so in discussing HR coaching hires, he's not one....for Michigan.

Reactions: eroller1141@gmail
I don’t think harbaugh has worked out “poorly”. I think Michigan people gas up their program to something it’s not. They are not set up to be better than Ohio state so it’s silly for them to demand that.

I’d say when you consistently fail to beat Ohio State and your instate rival year after year with a national known brand of Michigan football its similar to us. Harbaugh has been a complete fail.

All I’m gonna say when was the last “Homerun hire” successful?

I
Jimbo Fisher coach in waiting promotion at FSU is probably the last home run hire that resulted in the ultimate, a Title.

Chris peterson to Washington was a Home run, he got them to a playoff

But yeah, it’s easier to win the pre-Season home run hire ribbon than to actually produce with those expectations

Stop getting y'all's panties in a twist over what media members, who don't know anything, throw at the wall. Just wait for the drive-bys, nugs, and leaks. Don't let that other crap work you up.

We sat here debating on Ingram vs Gilbert for days and it was neither. Just chill and wait.
I don't think we're going to hear of any leaks. I believe those folks over there have the hatch sealed. The new coach will probably be announced while everyone is still speculating on the list.

There’s a top target, and five candidates. If making the list a figurative object is easier for you to handle, then do that. There is no literal list. They aren’t deciding who the targets are after getting approval from the team. I can state that with a great deal of confidence. I believe we have a coach, barring the inability to come to specific terms. I have more than one confirming source. I also know that they have a plan for what to do if things fall through, and what to do after that. As I said earlier, this search and hire will be tight and fast and free of embarrassment. It doesn’t begin today.

SF strikes again

So we lookin at one of the following based on our recent "lists":

- M Campbell (longshot but got to give it a try)
- Frost (hasn't worked well at Neb but did at UCF and Neb is his AM)
- Kiffin (We all know this story well)
- Brown (Worked some magic at Troy and seems to be on the upward trend at WV)
- Elliot (A wildcard as he has no HC experience)
- Herman (Released by Texas but has a reasonably good record but isn't a sitting coach)
- Napier (maybe, if he has interest)
- Satterfield (solid at Appy St. Jury out at Louisville based on the record)
- Fickell (Big ten guy with a defensive background)
- Chadwell (We know his story as well, local guy but unproven at this level)

Others mentioned at times: Fleck, Franklin, Freeze, Malzahn, Dykes, Heupel, Leipold

Attempting to form our comprehensive VN list that we've internally vetted to some degree :)
we'd have to be surprised if the HC isn't on this post.

Reactions: FBtime
I don’t think harbaugh has worked out “poorly”. I think Michigan people gas up their program to something it’s not. They are not set up to be better than Ohio state so it’s silly for them to demand that.

Given how well Harbaugh has recruited, he should easily have a convincing winning streak over Michigan State. Instead he has a losing streak.

I just want a HC that pushes 10 wins consistently and is within a game of playing in Atlanta.

The rest will come down to some luck and "hitting" on the right QB. But if the new HC gets things rolling and wins 10 or so every year the talent will be good enough that an elite QB takes us the playoffs. I feel like until Saban retires it's a hard ask that we put the pressure of ALWAYS being in Atlanta since our yearly west opponent happens to be the most dominate dynasty in college football.

The real question is do we want someone that can do more with less, or someone that does more with more, immediately?

Stupid question I know, but I ask because of all potential candidates, the one that I think makes an IMMEDIATE impact and backs up the FU money mentality from day one is Kiffin. He has the swagger and will take the current roster and be on the fast track to compete. The talent is there, those kids just need a coach with moxy and someone willing to help them express it, and have fun while doing it! This is why Kiffin makes the most sense to me.

However, I have faith in the process and the new AD! He gets paid to do this stuff, I only offer free opinions.🤷

I
Jimbo Fisher coach in waiting promotion at FSU is probably the last home run hire that resulted in the ultimate, a Title.

Chris peterson to Washington was a Home run, he got them to a playoff

But yeah, it’s easier to win the pre-Season home run hire ribbon than to actually produce with those expectations

Basically hiring a HC in college football boils down to luck.

“Poorly” might have been harsh, but he’s performed below the consensus expectations when he was hired.

The real question is do we want someone that can do more with less, or someone that does more with more, immediately?

Stupid question I know, but I ask because of all potential candidates, the one that I think makes an IMMEDIATE impact and backs up the FU money mentality from day one is Kiffin. He has the swagger and will take the current roster and be on the fast track to compete. The talent is there, those kids just need a coach with moxy and someone willing to help them express it, and have fun while doing it! This is why Kiffin makes the most sense to me.

However, I have faith in the process and the new AD! He gets paid to do this stuff, I only offer free opinions.🤷

I think Campbell wins the "more with less" argument in spades.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back