Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, forgot him too. So far then out of all that have been named, 3 have worked out, Saban, Meyer, and Jimbo, and the latter hasn’t really done anything yet
your point is still not wrong.

it's still the same short list of coaches that have knocked it out of the park, everyone else is still wait and see.

Kirby was widely considered a home run hire as well, and while he certainly hasn't "sucked", so to speak, there's a lot of speculation regarding him and his ability to get over the hump, the specific hump, he was hired to get over.

Harbaugh hasn't been "bad" overall....but he's supposed to beat OSU....at some point. so he's not achieved the goal he was hired to either.

Jimbo, well, he did do it at FSU. and while aTm isn't there, he had them on the cusp this past season, so at least directionally, it's looking like it's pointed in the right direction.

so, all that to say...everything is relative. and it is for us....we're no where close to championship caliber....and won't be for, well, i don''t know the answer to that question...we're not there and not close right now.

but just like the hire of the AD, i don't think we make a coaching hire due to the situation we're in....rather, we hire the coach for the situation we want to be in.....at least that's got to be the intent/purpose. and if that's where we are, i have some modicum of confidence going forward.

None of us have a clue who it will be and, to be honest, there are no sure things. Herman was a sure thing but how did that turn out at Texas? Frost was the hot name and he's been awful at Nebraska. Even when we look at our top targets Campbell and Fickell, and even Lane, who knows what they would do here. Campbell has no ties to the south, plays in an easy conference, and there's no certainty that he could handle a job of this magnitude. Fickell? We've tried Cincinnatti before. He also had some blunders at the end of that GA game. He's not a sure thing. Lane would be exciting, but his resume isn't necessarily without flaw. If we paired him with the right DC he could be deadly, sure. But then again, he may get us in trouble or bolt on us again. We don't know.

And then, you look at Dabo, who thought that would work out? And look where he is. Anyway, so I'm just going to see who Danny hires and have hope that whoever it is will be the right guy. Unless he hires Steele or someone like that and then I'll be firmly out! lol

Well said.

Best coaching in last 5 years.
Saban - home-run hire from the jump
Dabo - he was their interim and they kept him even though most of the fans wanted someone else
Ryan Day and Lincoln Riley - both heir apparent hires that are coninueing what someone else started (which isn’t easy on its own)

Then who?
Brian Kelly - shaky but has made the playoffs a couple of times.
Kirby - he is better than Richt, but all that talent seems to be wasted year in year out
No one out west.
Orgeron? He won one. Can’t take that away, but was that him or Brady?

In the end it’s a coaching crap shoot. So for now, In Danny I trust.

If I need to be convinced why the hire is a good hire, then that hire is not going to be a good hire.

Give me someone that I don’t have to talk myself into.

Lol and wtf are you that your opinion means dick? If you need to talk yourself into David Shaw your opinion is garbage. You can't even name 5 other active HCs with a decade of experience and a 71% win percentage with 3 conference titles.

Y'all think about it for a second... Number of four stars on roster

Jamey Chadwell Coastal Carolina: 0
Hugh Freeze Liberty: 1
Billy Napier LA Lafayette: 2
Matt Campbell Iowa State: 4
Neal Brown West Virginia: 5
Luke Fickell Cincinnati: 7
Scott Satterfield Louisville: 8
Lane Kiffin Ole Miss: 16 (+1 five star)
Scott Frost Nebraska: 22
Jeremy Pruitt Tennessee: 31 (+5 five stars)
SMH. Doing less w more this year. Such a waste.

Been any “team meetings’’ scheduled at ole miss or Iowa state yet?
58460210.jpg

Harbaugh was, and it turned out poorly.

Meyer at Ohio State worked out well.

Kelly to UCLA was a home run hire, and it’s been a disaster.
I don’t think harbaugh has worked out “poorly”. I think Michigan people gas up their program to something it’s not. They are not set up to be better than Ohio state so it’s silly for them to demand that.

I don’t think harbaugh has worked out “poorly”. I think Michigan people gas up their program to something it’s not. They are not set up to be better than Ohio state so it’s silly for them to demand that.
but that is what they hired harbaugh for. to become competitive again at that level. they're not.

Reactions: SweetasSoda
Why is that? I thought we were trying to outbid people.

The quote made it sound like the only reason the anonymous NFL OC would consider UT is the pay.
We want and need better than that in my estimation ... stability demands it.
I'm all for paying top dollar for a top coach, sure, but we need someone who wants to be here to build something ... exactly what AD White said in his press conference.
Enough of the mercenary head coaches.

All, just my opinion, of course.

None of us have a clue who it will be and, to be honest, there are no sure things. Herman was a sure thing but how did that turn out at Texas? Frost was the hot name and he's been awful at Nebraska. Even when we look at our top targets Campbell and Fickell, and even Lane, who knows what they would do here. Campbell has no ties to the south, plays in an easy conference, and there's no certainty that he could handle a job of this magnitude. Fickell? We've tried Cincinnatti before. He also had some blunders at the end of that GA game. He's not a sure thing. Lane would be exciting, but his resume isn't necessarily without flaw. If we paired him with the right DC he could be deadly, sure. But then again, he may get us in trouble or bolt on us again. We don't know.

And then, you look at Dabo, who thought that would work out? And look where he is. Anyway, so I'm just going to see who Danny hires and have hope that whoever it is will be the right guy. Unless he hires Steele or someone like that and then I'll be firmly out! lol

Post of the day Bass excellent job

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back