Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mullins2010 said:

@BenVolin

Almost all of the NFL vacancies have been filled, but the Tennessee Vols' job also looms out there. I know one NFL OC is very interested. "The SEC pays well." I wonder if Josh McDaniels would consider making the jump to college?
2:56 PM · Jan 22, 2021

No thanks to a coach whose motivation for coming is because "the SEC pays well"

200.gif

So what if...big what if...but what if it David Shaw?

Stanford is a terrible spot to recruit to and the PAC-12 is falling behind majorly, he could be an absolute stud in a SEC environment. 90-36 at Stanford, starting to wonder if Jim's success there came from Shaw more than himself.

If I need to be convinced why the hire is a good hire, then that hire is not going to be a good hire.

Give me someone that I don’t have to talk myself into.

So we lookin at one of the following based on our recent "lists":

- M Campbell (longshot but got to give it a try)
- Frost (hasn't worked well at Neb but did at UCF and Neb is his AM)
- Kiffin (We all know this story well)
- Brown (Worked some magic at Troy and seems to be on the upward trend at WV)
- Elliot (A wildcard as he has no HC experience)
- Herman (Released by Texas but has a reasonably good record but isn't a sitting coach)
- Napier (maybe, if he has interest)
- Satterfield (solid at Appy St. Jury out at Louisville based on the record)
- Fickell (Big ten guy with a defensive background)
- Chadwell (We know his story as well, local guy but unproven at this level)

Others mentioned at times: Fleck, Franklin, Freeze, Malzahn, Dykes, Heupel, Leipold

Attempting to form our comprehensive VN list that we've internally vetted to some degree :)

Campbell, Chadwell, and Freeze stand out the most.

Coastal Carolina 4 stars: 0
2020 final ranking: 11-1, #14th
Roster talent vs rest of conference: 8th out of 10

Liberty 4 stars: 1
2020 final ranking: 10-1, #17th
Roster talent vs rest of conference: 5th out of 7

LA Lafayette 4 stars : 2
2020 final ranking: 10-1, #15th
Roster talent vs rest of conference: 2nd out of 10

Iowa State 4 stars: 4
2020 final ranking: 9-3, #9th
Roster talent vs rest of conference: 8th out of 10

West Virginia 4 stars: 5
2020 final ranking: 6-4, Unranked
Roster talent vs rest of conference: 6th out of 10

Cincinnati 4 stars: 7
2020 final ranking: 9-1, #8th
Roster talent vs rest of conference: 2nd out of 11

Louisville 4 stars: 8
2020 final ranking: 4-7, Unranked
Roster talent vs rest of conference: 9th out of 14

Ole Miss 4 stars: 16 (+1 five star)
2020 final ranking: 5-5, Unranked
Roster talent vs rest of conference: 12th out of 14

Nebraska 4 stars: 22
2020 final ranking: 3-5, Unranked
Roster talent vs rest of conference: 4th out of 14

Tennessee 4 stars: 31 (+5 five stars)
2020 final ranking: 3-7, Unranked
Roster talent vs rest of conference: 7th out of 14
Campbell 8 out of 10 talent in his conference and finished 9th in the country... impressive

We're not going through all this for a Leipold, Dykes , Steele, or any other lower tier coach or assistant. You don't talk like White, Plowman, Boyd, and AV to hire someone like that as the new HC that's gonna get the program turned around.... now I could see Leipold/Steele as part of the assistant staff, but not the head coach... I trust White until I don't... if he pulls one of these guys, then there may not be any hope for us...

So what if...big what if...but what if it's David Shaw?

Stanford is a terrible spot to recruit to and the PAC-12 is falling behind majorly, he could be an absolute stud in a SEC environment. 90-36 at Stanford, starting to wonder if Jim's success there came from Shaw more than himself.
We just tried the old school, physical brand of Football here for 3 years and it failed miserably. Not interested in signing up for more of the same.

Harbaugh was, and it turned out poorly.

Meyer at Ohio State worked out well.

Kelly to UCLA was a home run hire, and it’s been a disaster.
Saban was a big-time hire at Alabama. Meyer was a big time hire to OSU. In both instances, they had already won a NC with a powerhouse SEC program. Those opportunities don't come around very often. Although, Les Miles could be had (not really interested in that though).

Reactions: tvolsfan
Ok better question which tenured sitting P5 coach has a chance to jump here? I’m thinking of a coach that has kind of run stale at a program and wants a change of scenery?

Isn't he an offensive guy? Seen to recall him being the OC for harbaugh?

Yeah checks all the boxes. Only 48, Making less than 4.5m, Proven HC, Power 5 Exp, Offensive Minded (NFL exp. as a QB & WR coach too), Clean BG (from what I can see), Proven leader

The potential hangups are he's at Stanford already (his alma mater) and he's making great money there. He may be content with his current spot, but for some reason I got the feeling the right job would be able to pull him. I definitely think NFL could get him and maybe a SEC job too.

Reactions: mr.checkerboards
Campbell 8 out of 10 talent in his conference and finished 9th in the country... impressive
He's a great coach, but Iowa State hasn't exactly been winning games with a dynamic offense. It really feels like they're wanting a coach that brings an exciting offense. Campbell also has eyes on the NFL, so he might head out after the first good season.

Saban was a big-time hire at Alabama. Meyer was a big time hire to OSU. In both instances, they had already won a NC with a powerhouse SEC program. Those opportunities don't come around very often. Although, Les Miles could be had.

Turns out to be the case now. He was not their first choice though...

Reactions: SugarCC
He's a great coach, but Iowa State hasn't exactly been winning games with a dynamic offense. It really feels like they're wanting a coach that brings an exciting offense. Campbell also has eyes on the NFL, so he might head out after the first good season.
Any gripe with his success at Iowa State is pretty funny. The fact that he's successful there at all is a minor miracle.

@Stoerner Fumbles said one of the people is "top of the pile." Wanya Morris was going to OU, but now...isnt?

Dare to dream, Volnation.
I said this the other day. His buyout is only 5 mil or so..... He makes 6.5 so 8 might get his attention. There were rumors over the summer he wanted out because he didn't think he could build a defense at OU to win it all. Bob Stoops is around that program, what if he is pulling a Fulmer and is meddling at getting in the way?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back