Basilio off air?

He's not off air. His website is down because of increased traffic. More and more people listen to him because he don't spew the company line and he actually tries to tell it like it is. I know it seems like a lot of people here crack on him but he's right more often than not. He's the best source of info for UT sports out there. I've been in radio for over 20 years myself in Northeast Tennessee so I feel like I know a few things about the radio business.

Aside from Tony telling things like he sees them and not holding things back or being a sheep he's actually a really nice and genuine guy. He does a lot for kids and charities and quite a bit behind the scenes that he doesn't take credit for. He's actually a humble dude and he tries to give good information.

You don't have to believe him - but if you go back and listen to his shows - there's no way to argue that he doesn't know what he's talking about. He does, and he's right more than he's wrong. And no, I have absolutely nothing to do with his programs but when I do listen to sports radio around Knoxville he's the only one I give any of my time to.

99.1 would never have the show like Tony's l. Love him or hate him, at least he's honest about the state of our program. You can't fault his love for UT.

I listened after the Texas A&M game because he is more apt to tell it like it is. Everyone else it too afraid of pissing off UT. He is too prone to propagate any rumor is the only complaint I have.

Otherwise he is an extremely good dude who has a passion for this area, for interacting with people, and for UT.

I truly don't get why TB has "haters." He is the only one out there speaking the truth while state run radio continues to put out watered down, "PC" messaging. Some say he's a hater and all he does is run down our athletic department but IMO he simply keeps it real. He praises when it deserves praise and when something warrants criticism he is honest and unmerciful and I love that about him! He's also well connected and has reliable insiders that give him info that other local media personalities simply does not get.

You must be new here. Everyone that posts on here is an "insider" or "has a source that is a big money guy."
Not true, my source is the cleaning lady at the AD(Stella). Apparently, CJP is secretly a well spoken Englishman and the redneck thing is all an act...or he's a lizard person. Stella drinks sometimes.

He's not off air. His website is down because of increased traffic. More and more people listen to him because he don't spew the company line and he actually tries to tell it like it is. I know it seems like a lot of people here crack on him but he's right more often than not. He's the best source of info for UT sports out there. I've been in radio for over 20 years myself in Northeast Tennessee so I feel like I know a few things about the radio business.

Aside from Tony telling things like he sees them and not holding things back or being a sheep he's actually a really nice and genuine guy. He does a lot for kids and charities and quite a bit behind the scenes that he doesn't take credit for. He's actually a humble dude and he tries to give good information.

You don't have to believe him - but if you go back and listen to his shows - there's no way to argue that he doesn't know what he's talking about. He does, and he's right more than he's wrong. And no, I have absolutely nothing to do with his programs but when I do listen to sports radio around Knoxville he's the only one I give any of my time to.
He definitely grows on you. Name another radio personality in the US that does a 6 hour commercial-free Post game show. And when he signs off, there is a full bank of callers on hold.

Last edited:
I wish "Beano" was on there with Tony every day. Those two together are fantastic! I like Sean Sinclair on Wednesdays a lot too but Beano is just one of a kind and compliments Tony perfectly.
Best line from Beano...”let’s win the East before I’m deceased.”

I had assumed his equipment had been seized as a part of the university's internal but is not important investigation into the extra benefit and improper recruiting allegations.

Basilio did mention which players were hosting Mims on his visit and that was quite insightful, state controlled media and the Vol Network refused to acknowledge Mims actually visited Tennessee. The Vol Network is much like PRAVDA, a mere shadow of itself 10 years ago, part of the problem is Kessling, part of the problem is the staleness of the entire broadcast, part of the problem is the popularity and saturation of the SEC Network, the rest of it you can attribute to a crappy product, better entertainment available.

Basilio during Schainogate was truly riveting. I don't listen daily, or weekly, but when for football news and discussion, that's where I go.
The sunday when they announced Greg Schiano and then backtracked was perfect for Tony Basilio. Think he was on the air all day and provided the only real avenue where vol fans could call in and vent about the announcement. I question some of his connections but definitely is the most entertaining show that is Tennessee centered.

Are you the guy that told Brian to STFU last Saturday by chance ? IIRC the guy said he was also in the media .

Fully agree. I was working in Middle East from 2009-2015 in Saudi. I could only listen to games on Vol Network online. When he started 5th quarter deal during The Jones era, it was my connection to the area where I grew up. I will never forget Barney Boy’s drunken rages on Jones. They usually were on a Sunday morning there and I would be laughing in my office. No doubt these have been more entertaining than the games absent the Dobbs era.

Well done Tony and you have a raving fan here.

VN Store

Back