Basilio off air?

Tony basilio show is great and not state run.
I wouldn’t call it great.
he can be pretty silly to the point of juvenile at times.
and some of his regular callers (like Titans Bill) make my ears bleed.
but, yes,he is much more entertaining than the Vol Network station which is all commercials.

Been listening to Tony since the 90s. Love his show. I flip over from The Sports Animal every morning at 8 PST

Reactions: bigfredtn
Hell, I’ve come to enjoy his post football game show more than the stinking game.

Listened to his show for the first time Saturday. Was the most enjoyable thing I've experienced related to UT football since first half of the GA game. Certainly better than the product on the field. Cast of characters & callers kept my interest for hours. Beano may be my favorite.

Listened to his show for the first time Saturday. Was the most enjoyable thing I've experienced related to UT football since first half of the GA game. Certainly better than the product on the field. Cast of characters & callers kept my interest for hours. Beano may be my favorite.

Gave up on his show years ago. Following the Paul FInebaum model was more than I could take. Could not believe the SEC network put him and his original band of callers up as the face of our conference.

Reactions: vettefool
Basillo has some juicy notes from volnation today. Does anyone take that guy seriously or is it just entertaining?

He's not off air. His website is down because of increased traffic. More and more people listen to him because he don't spew the company line and he actually tries to tell it like it is. I know it seems like a lot of people here crack on him but he's right more often than not. He's the best source of info for UT sports out there. I've been in radio for over 20 years myself in Northeast Tennessee so I feel like I know a few things about the radio business.

Aside from Tony telling things like he sees them and not holding things back or being a sheep he's actually a really nice and genuine guy. He does a lot for kids and charities and quite a bit behind the scenes that he doesn't take credit for. He's actually a humble dude and he tries to give good information.

You don't have to believe him - but if you go back and listen to his shows - there's no way to argue that he doesn't know what he's talking about. He does, and he's right more than he's wrong. And no, I have absolutely nothing to do with his programs but when I do listen to sports radio around Knoxville he's the only one I give any of my time to.
My late brother called me when Tony first went on the air.Great way to past the day while working as a remodeler.We would go to his remotes and met U T greats like Ray Mears.Give him a chance and you will learn he's a great Tennessee man!

Reactions: RockyTopJewel
The website was up for just a little while this morning. Basilio posted this on Twitter...
Tony Basilio
@TonyBasilio

·
3h

Re Our site crash. increased traffic of late is causing outages on the main server we use. It's a mess. You will still be able to hear our show on your Tony Basilio Show App. Plus Periscope. Plus Tune In. I'm very sorry about this.
that guy is a rumor mongerer.

Reactions: vettefool
Are you the guy that told Brian to STFU last Saturday by chance ? IIRC the guy said he was also in the media .

That poor old man's birds flew the coop long ago. I just turned 40 so it would be pretty hard for me to be in the media for over 50 years. And if I eventually AM in the media for over 50 years I hope to God I don't turn into some stark raving lunatic that tells a poor producer to STFU. Even though I thought it was the funniest thing I had heard in a long time I know some people aren't used to being told that kind of thing.

Reactions: Jravol78
I’m convinced the majority of people who dislike Basilio haven’t given the show a chance in recent years, they just regurgitate what others say on the Vol forums. He upsets the sunshine crowd because he won’t lie about the state of affairs.

State run radio and VQ will lie to you until the coach is on the way out and they’ll finally fess up “BTW coach is an incompetent jerk and we never liked him or thought he would succeed”. Great, thanks, how about tell us that 18 months ago.

Early this season Basilio said the staff was the most dysfunctional he’s seen since the 90s. It’s looking like he was right and not “rumor mongering”.

I’m convinced the majority of people who dislike Basilio haven’t given the show a chance in recent years, they just regurgitate what others say on the Vol forums. He upsets the sunshine crowd because he won’t lie about the state of affairs.

State run radio and VQ will lie to you until the coach is on the way out and they’ll finally fess up “BTW coach is an incompetent jerk and we never liked him or thought he would succeed”. Great, thanks, how about tell us that 18 months ago.

Early this season Basilio said the staff was the most dysfunctional he’s seen since the 90s. It’s looking like he was right and not “rumor mongering”.

Saying the coaching staff sucks is not rumor mongering. Just all the Game of Thrones coach vs position coach/boosters vs aD nonsense irritates me. Honestly, I believe that all the UT boosters are out of touch with reality and only care about the money they are making from the ESPN contract and annual toilet bowl appearance. Fan money now, is just icing on the ready bake cake.

The content Basilio puts on his site is amazing. His book interviews with authors, on every topic from Connie Mack to Merle Haggard, are insightful and worth anyone's time.

He will not bow to Big Orange Mordor. That catches him some heat. But he's always been generous to people like Jayson Swain, whose show is also a go-to for me, with assistance and advice.

One thing he does that Hill-run Radio does not do: when he gets it wrong, he owns it. He's never stopped apologizing for being wrong on Rick Barnes.

The call-in shows after the games have been a source of healing for me after all the damage these clowns at UTAD and the boosters have done to this football program over the years. You know you are not alone in your frustration and that is a good thing. Sometimes you even laugh a bit.

I'm a fan of his work and hope he is able to continue providing the strong content for this fanbase for a long time to come.

The content Basilio puts on his site is amazing. His book interviews with authors, on every topic from Connie Mack to Merle Haggard, are insightful and worth anyone's time.

He will not bow to Big Orange Mordor. That catches him some heat. But he's always been generous to people like Jayson Swain, whose show is also a go-to for me, with assistance and advice.

One thing he does that Hill-run Radio does not do: when he gets it wrong, he owns it. He's never stopped apologizing for being wrong on Rick Barnes.

The call-in shows after the games have been a source of healing for me after all the damage these clowns at UTAD and the boosters have done to this football program over the years. You know you are not alone in your frustration and that is a good thing. Sometimes you even laugh a bit.

I'm a fan of his work and hope he is able to continue providing the strong content for this fanbase for a long time to come.
His sources are right a lot more than we are led to believe.

60% of the time he is right 100% of the time.

He said he's 90 percent sure he will be fired and he's standing by that. He said it on Saturday - not that it was going to happen on Saturday. He never said he was being fired Saturday.

Gave up on his show years ago. Following the Paul FInebaum model was more than I could take. Could not believe the SEC network put him and his original band of callers up as the face of our conference.
Well, aren’t you a Scrooge.
Tony is the George Bailey of sports radio for Knoxville. I guess you’ll keep crawling to Potter.

VN Store

Back